Taking Notes Idea...Sound Any Good?

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by HistoryTeach4, Aug 16, 2014.

1. HistoryTeach4

HistoryTeach4 Rookie

Aug 16, 2014

In September I will be starting a job as a high school history teacher in a school for students with learning disabilities. This is my first job. I am just wondering if the idea I have it any good. For each unit I have created a Power Point with important parts of the chapter. I will also be passing out a copy for the students to keep in their binders. However, their copy will be missing someone of the information. Anything that they see in blue on the Smart Board they will have to fill in on their copy.

3. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Aug 16, 2014

Are the students on IEPs? Ours dictate how they receive notes.

4. HistoryTeach4

HistoryTeach4 Rookie

Aug 16, 2014

I have worked with the school for the past year as an aide, but not with a different program. Our IEPs do not dictate, they just have recommendations on how to modify. I figured this will be the best way to go about modifying since I can delete more or less information depending on the student.

5. bros

bros Phenom

Aug 16, 2014

What do their IEPs say regarding notes, if anything?

If they don't say anything, spend a bit of time on note taking skills. Cultivate their writing skills.

6. EmptyClassroom

EmptyClassroom Rookie

Aug 17, 2014

I think this would work at my school. We do have some students with specific note taking accommodations or modifications but most are just noted as "modified notes" and that gives some freedom of methods. (If no modification is made, then the student receives a copy of teacher notes.). Specifically, your idea would maintain accountability and engagement, but make it easy to follow and color coding would mean the purpose was not obvious to other students.