Taking Medicine in Class

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by Miss W, Dec 21, 2005.

1. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Dec 21, 2005

What do you do when you need to take medicine during the school day? Do you take it in front of your kids? I have frequent headaches and earaches. If I don't take the medicine when I feel them coming on then there's nothing I can do for the pain later.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2005
  3. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Dec 21, 2005

I just turn away and take what I need to. I also have to eat a couple of peanuts if my blood sugar goes low.

4. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Dec 21, 2005

I wonder what the legal ramifications could be on it. I keep my medicine locked up in my desk.

5. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Dec 21, 2005

I take the medicine. If the kids see me I simply tell them I am taking it for a headache, cold, etc.

6. luvmykids

luvmykids Companion

Dec 22, 2005

I also just take my meds. I have to take meds for a bad knee or I wouldn't be able to stand and teach. My kids are use to me now taking it after lunch everyday and even remind me if I forget. :)

7. hanvan

hanvan Connoisseur

Dec 22, 2005

I am pretty sure we aren't suppose to but I do it anyway. I don't have time to go to the nurses office to take something. I just turn away and take it.

8. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Dec 22, 2005

At first I tried "hiding" or turning away when I would take medicine. Then, I remembered in high school we had a teacher that was turned in for "doing drugs" in class. Two boys walked in and saw him turn his head and "snort" something. It was a huge deal. Turns out he had a sinus infection and was using a nasal inhaler. I don't announce it when I take medicine, but if they see, I tell them. They also know that I have low blood sugar and from time to time I have to eat a cracker with cheese. The kids keep an eye out for me on that one. I had lunchroom duty the other day and forgot my lunch. I didn't eat what the cafeteria had, they worried constantly until I told them that someone was picking a sandwich up for me while they were at PE (they have it right after lunch).

9. Eclipse

Eclipse Rookie

Dec 22, 2005

That's so sweet of your kids to worry about you! :)

I try to wait until recess or lunch when the kids are out, but like most others have said, if kids ask me about it I tell them the truth, that it's for a headache or something.

10. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Dec 22, 2005

In your inhaler?
    I just take it. I take airborne in front of the kids. They call it my potion. And the other day I took cold medicine in front of them. I never gave it a thought. I figured there parents must take it once in a while in front of them.

11. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Dec 22, 2005

I had to take some allergy medicine yesterday and I just took it in class. I waited until the kids were working on something, but some noticed and asked what was wrong. I was sniffling and sneezing and just couldn't wait until my break.

12. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Dec 22, 2005

Ya gotta do what ya gotta do. Same thing goes for the restroom.

13. Irissa

Irissa Cohort

Dec 23, 2005

ugh I have to go to the restroom all of the time now being pregnant does that to you. I just make sure they are all seated and have someone take names. I have a rr in my classroom though so I dont have to go anywhere. We also have snack now because I can't wait till lunch for food anymore. I'm pretty sure we can have meds so long as they are locked up.

14. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Dec 24, 2005

How do you lock them up?

Congratulations on the soon to be new addition to your family!
    When are you due?

15. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Dec 24, 2005

I'm like Jaime, never really gave it a thought. I suffer from migraines and so often need to take meds for that. My kids don't really notice, perhaps because they are only in K. I will turn away or just take it when they are busy at an activity.....

16. Irissa

Irissa Cohort

Dec 25, 2005

Thanks. Beginning of August right when school starts go figure.
    I keep the meds in my purse and lock that in my file cabnet.