Taking Leave of Absence due to Covid....

Discussion in 'General Education' started by tiffbabey, Jul 24, 2020.

1. tiffbabey

tiffbabey Rookie

Jul 24, 2020

Anyone considering it? I literally feel like I’m losing my mind over this whole situation and I’m so overly anxious about it that’s it’s starting to affect my sleep. I’m A fourth grade special ed inclusion teacher in MA. This will be my 9th year and I truly do love my job, but I don’t want to go back into the classroom this year. I am anxious to even eat in a restaurant or go to a store. I also have two children, a 1st grader and 2 year old. I joined a pod group on Facebook and got a message from a nearby mom who has the same age kids and is looking to find a teacher to work with the first grader and also watch the 2 year old. I feel crazy even considering this, but I need some type of income and it would way less exposure. I have no idea what my district is doing or the one my son goes to either. I just can’t stand the waiting any longer!

bella84 likes this.
  3. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Jul 24, 2020

Have you been able to express your concerns to your P? Maybe there is a chance for you to teach the children who have parents who want to opt in for the virtual option? More and more districts are giving parents a choice between in person and virtual learning.

4. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

Jul 24, 2020

I would take a leave of absence if possible, but I’m pregnant and need the health insurance, and I wouldn’t be insured if I took a leave of absence since it’s unpaid. It’s a terrible situation to be in. In the pod group you’re in, would you be paid? Would you be insured or have a way to get insurance? If so, I’d do it. I’m equally anxious about it. We haven’t been going anywhere... the biggest trip I’ll make is to the grocery store and it still stresses me out. Good luck with whatever you decide!

Backroads likes this.
  5. tiffbabey

tiffbabey Rookie

Jul 25, 2020

I have e insurance through my husbands work so that is not an issue. And yes, I would be paid.

6. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

Jul 25, 2020

If it were me, then, I’d absolutely do it, as long as finances weren’t a huge problem.

7. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

Jul 25, 2020

You must be careful and find out your district's policy regarding the work you can do when on leave. My district will allow tutoring but not teaching.

8. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

Jul 25, 2020

Is it that you won't be insured or they won't pay a portion? My district allows you to keep your insurance but you have to pay the part they would have contributed, essentially making it unaffordable, but you aren't denied insurance.

9. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

Jul 25, 2020

Interesting. I have no idea actually. I may look into that.

10. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

Jul 25, 2020

It is essentially COBRA insurance (you continue to buy into the groups health plan) up to a certain number of months.

otterpop likes this.
  11. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

Jul 25, 2020

Oh, okay. Yes, I’d at least qualify for COBRA. But if it came to that, it would probably be cheaper to add myself to my husband’s insurance. Also an option, just expensive.

12. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jul 25, 2020

I'd say hold off on making ANY decisions until you have a concrete reopening plan for the fall semester. Rockhubby and I were to the point of deciding which one of us would have to temporarily move out if my school reopened, but my superintendent announced on Wednesday that we will maintain our distance learning academy. Glad this was announced before I started apartment hunting!

13. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 26, 2020

How will you be eligible for pay? Is this a benefit offered by your district?

One thing to consider is that when you take an extended leave of absence, it can affect your years of service. I took a few weeks of unpaid maternity leave on top of my paid leave, and those weeks did not count towards my years of service, which impacted my retirement. Instead of a full year of retirement credit, I got something like .987. If I had been planning to retire in that district, it would have pushed my retirement back by a few weeks.