Taking grades??

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by MrsNickle, Jul 25, 2007.

1. MrsNickle

MrsNickle Companion

Jul 25, 2007

I need help. At the school that I did my student teaching, first grade didn't take number grades for report cards, instead they did more like assessment checklist report cards (I can't think of the real word for it).

So my question is...what types of things do you take grades for?:confused:

3. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Jul 25, 2007

writing rubrics
    spelling tests
    math tests
    math assignments
    reading comprehension worksheets
    phonics worksheets
    individual reading assessments

4. Pattie

Pattie Companion

Jul 26, 2007

Lots of teachers grade only spelling and math and just get reading levels through running records and observations. I also rubric a few writing pieces each quarter. I hate not grading science and SS but our report cards are just participation Ps so it isn't really graded.

5. Emma35

Emma35 Connoisseur

Jul 26, 2007

I am just like Pattie. I take grades only for math test and spelling tests. Science and SS are the same too. Lots of observational reports though.

6. MrsNickle

MrsNickle Companion

Jul 26, 2007

Thanks ladies!

7. ranger1stgrd

ranger1stgrd Companion

Jul 28, 2007

We take grade on math, spelling/phonics, reading, and language arts.

8. 1st-yr-teacher

1st-yr-teacher Comrade

Jul 28, 2007

we take grades for reading, language arts, spelling, math and english

9. jenejoy

jenejoy Companion

May 8, 2008

I've always kept a grade book based on what was on my report card. At the beginning of the year we figure out how we will assess each standard and set the rubrics for the grades with our grade level. (Otherwise it is easy to change the grades based on personality, ability or effort once you know your students.) Several of the items are done on individual assessments at report card time but because there is so much to do I try to keep grades for the things I can have a hard copy of. I always use the rubric as I grade those hard copies as well so it isn't a surprise when the parents see the report card. So I guess what I'm really saying is that it is based on your report card and what your grade level team is doing.

10. snickydog

snickydog Groupie

May 13, 2008

We have to take letter grades on reading, writing, math, science, and social studies. We use Everyday Math and I'll use their suggested assessments (periodically throughout unit, so certain skills the students should have mastered from daily work, plus oral work on a checklist and a written test). For reading, it's a mixture of guided reading level through the Rigby assessment and written responses based on strategies we learn through reading workshop. (Making connections, finding non-fiction text features, etc.) Writing is tricky.... We use the Units of Study and I usually assess one piece every 5 weeks since it's so developmental, plus average in their spelling tests and some of their written responses to books we've read aloud. Science and social studies are usually project-based, so a plant journal or a letter to a character in history, for example.

I need to get better at assessments!

11. MrsPatten

MrsPatten Comrade

May 17, 2008

We grade our kids to death. Or at least we used to. This past year I simplified it in my room but I still hated it.

Math tests 2 per week (Saxon)
    Reading comprehension test
    Spelling Test
    Grammar Worksheets
    Spelling/Social Studies are combined and I'd do a project one week and a test the next

12. teaching1st

teaching1st Companion

May 17, 2008

I do the same thing as jenejoy. I look at the report card and make sure I'm taking grades for each part. That way when its time to fill out the report card, its quick and easy.

13. flowerpower31

flowerpower31 Comrade

May 20, 2008

I take numeral grades in: Bible, Math, Reading, Phonics/Language/Spelling, and Writing. Social Studies, Science, and Health get graded as V, S, or N.