Taking away my license? - UPDATE

Discussion in 'General Education' started by MisterG, Jul 21, 2007.

1. MisterG

MisterG Comrade

Jul 21, 2007

lol...you know...I thought that when June 4th came and I was done with school...Id be done. Apparently not so.

I was not renewed for contract for the next school year. I made some mistakes in the first half of the year. Some mistakes were simply my following advice of other teachers AND people I was supposed to ask for advice. Other mistakes were just based out of my lack of experience.

I woke up this morning and read an email from my mom...then I checked my voice mail and there was a voice mail from her too.

Apparently, my principal wrote a letter to the state where I was originally licensed after I graduated college and they are in the process of taking away my license! I checked my license online (I dont knwo if I can in the other states I have a license in)...and it says "This license may be revoked based on the results of the background check" I checked my license that I printed out and that Ive been sending to districts as I look for a job...and sure enough...Im sending them a license that says right on there it might be revoked! I don't know why it says background check.

This is embarassing, humiliating, and degrading. He even told me at one point this spring that I could use him as a reference...that he would tell them what happened, but at the same time tell them what I did to make corrections. He never once mentioned this at all. I checked out and shot the breeze with him for 45 minutes, not a mention.

I dont know if he is going to the other states Im licensed in as well or what. I called the local association prez to get some advice but he wasnt there.

I am so...lol, censored......angry! As I look for jobs, potential employers are looking at this...and Im sure Im being passed on by as they see this junk pop up.

I dont even know what to do now..fight it or what. After all the crap I put up with...and then this...its like, I just want to give up and forget about teaching all together. Ive already applied at a trucking company, but I feel stupid not using my degree.

I was going through a funk of deep depression this spring and it pretty much ended when I turned in my keys. I havent been on the side of town where that school is, since I left. After taking a break from thinking about jobs all together, I started applying at places in my home state. I just got a note back...147 people applied for the same spot I did. I figured if I got a job trucking, thatd be.....ok? Or if my wife got a job...wed move and Id do something. But you know what...five years of college working and training me to be a teacher seems flushed down the toilet because of a few mistakes I made during my second year teaching.

I just cant believe this.

3. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 21, 2007

Were you ever notified in writing about this? Have you found out what the appeals process entails? How does 'pending the results of a background check' apply to you?

4. elizak83

elizak83 Companion

Jul 21, 2007

That is absolutely ridiculous...
    I had a hard time at my school last year... I decided to resign and look for a new job (I have yet to find one yet..:-( )
    If I were you I'd call the principal and find out exactly why he did this... it doesn't sound right.
    (Although I know some admins can be shady and out of line..)

Keep your chin up..you'll get it sorted out.

5. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jul 21, 2007

Get on the phone on Monday morning so you can find out more about what is happening and call your teaching association/union while you're at it and ask for the legal department. Unless you have had legal problems in the past, I don't see how they could take away your license.

6. MisterG

MisterG Comrade

Jul 21, 2007

He never told me in writing about taking my license away. It sounds like my mom got a letter in the mail or something...but I have yet to hear back from her to get the full story. Im not sure what he wrote or accused me of or whatever.

She also gave me some information which I cant find yet on the web about replying for reinstatement. Lol...I dont want to reinstate. I don't want anything bad to be on my record. She said they would put me on probation or something for a year. Jeesh. My license expires in 2009 anyways and I dont even know if I have met the requirements for renewing that.

Im not sure what that background check means. As far as I know...I havent broken any laws or whatever, lol. Youd think Id know. Maybe thats just a standard sentence sayign they are looking into something. Im not sure.

Im going to try and call on Monday and get some more info.

7. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 21, 2007

OK- I'm sure your past year's experience was detailed in previous posts but in a nutshell what happened? Are there allegations of unprofessionalism or impropriety? Simply having a bad start as a first year teacher isn't enough to revoke your license- if it was so bad to warrant this action by your previous principal, why didn't they let you go during the school year?

8. MisterG

MisterG Comrade

Jul 21, 2007

Ive been thinking about doing that, but I'd rather not.

Yeah...I caleld the local association president and left a message. Hope he gets back to me asap. Hed know what to do. He has contacted the legal department on our behalf when this stuff with my job first popped up so he is sort of aware of the situation. I dont know what needs to be done or said or whatever in order for my license to be taken away. I figure sure, if I commit some sort of crime or felony or whatever, maybe. But this seems like its been taken to the extreme.

Well...I didnt document grades properly (no paper copy), just put stuff on computer gradebook. My grades for reading and writing were subjective. I didnt teach social studies or science (because I was told not to...that it would be covered later in the school year when we had more time...this was from someone I was supposed to ask). On my lesson plans...it appeared (lol I dont know how I did this) that I had the students read to themselves for 2 hours a day. I tried to do Guided Reading but that didnt help much at all because I had a very rough class.

Some of the mistakes I made were from the advice I recieved after asking others. Lots of times, I got mixed results...nobody really knew what to do. Nothing was brought to my attention until I asked a question in January, then all hell broke loose. I had at least 2 3-hour chew-your-a$$ out sessions with my boss. I was insulted in ways I never could have imagined. I was told the first meeting that even if I made a complete turn around, his decision would still be difficult. He also told me that he had a feeling he made a mistake as soon as he saw me for the first time. He also told me that he felt my previous employers were lying to him. He gave me no improvement plan, nor anything in writing telling me what to do in order to improve. I was given two reprimands. He came in my room about twice for the rest of the year and I dont even know how he came up with my final evaluation.

This is my second year teaching, my first was spending a month in 4th and the rest in K...something I wasnt qualified for. So this year was pretty much my 1st year all over again.

9. Tbelle1035

Tbelle1035 Cohort

Jul 21, 2007

OMG, from the tone of your first posts i thought you did something totally improper or out of line. Being a new teacher, you should be able to defend your position. You should have had more on-going guidance. What is wrong with your system, not providing you with a mentor? Shame on them.

If you'd had an effective, mentor, I would guess that your first two years would have produced a better outcome.

Under the right circumstances in another system, you would probably fit in just fine.

I wish you all the best. Let us know how you do.

10. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Jul 21, 2007

It still amazes me that you are handling this all with a bit of humor!! I know if this was me, with today being Saturday, I'b be losing my mind!!
    Did you do anything wrong in college like not claim credits from another school or something....Iremeber seeing that in a college catalog once that if you didn't claim all of your earned credits...regardless of the GPA...they could revoke your certificate in the future because then your degree was never valid. Studpid...I KNOW!! If you never committed and were convicted of a felony though, I don't know what else it could be. Have you been?

11. MisterG

MisterG Comrade

Jul 21, 2007

Well I did have a mentor. Its just that I never asked questions...and when we did talk...it was because I had something to ask. One time something was mentioned to me about stuff we do do at the end of the year; when the end of the year came...I was supposed to have information from the beginning of the
    year...uh..what?

My first year was jsut weird...I was placed in a thing where in my home state, I needed an extra certificate. But I managed and my principal knew what the situation was. That and I told him to give me a handicap on my evals, lol.

Well Im trying. Right now, my wife and I are both unemployed so its really rough and stressful for sure. Im easy going and try to keep upbeat. That and sometimes you just need so sit back and laugh.

12. MisterG

MisterG Comrade

Jul 21, 2007

UPDATE:

Well I finally got hold of my mom. Apparently, she never got a letter or whatever. Just one of her friends was snooping on the dept of Ed website where you can look up an educators license. On mine, it has that line saying that "this licesne may be revoked based on the results of the background check" My moms doesnt have that, nor does my wife. HOWEVER, I pulled up some of my college classmates names (some of the ones I could find) and they too have the same line on there so Im not sure what is going on. But Im not as worried about it now. Ill still call on Monday and try and find out why that is on our stuff though.

This is why I dont want to get old, lol. My mom and her friends see something and twist it all around to make it seem much worse than it is. She told me he wrote a letter! argh. Then when I call her...she said "no...but if you go to yoru license" lol....MOM!!!!

13. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Jul 21, 2007

You need a drink after that stunt! Shesh, parents!

I remember my mom calling me to ask what my licence number was, when I told her I asked her why, she told me she just used it to get a discounted version of windows XP.........yep I was yelling mom too!

Yep you need a long relaxing bath and a drink or two.

I am sorry you had such a terrible year last year, it sounds to me like the support systems for a new teacher failed you many times over. You should have had a mentor checking up on you, not waiting for you to ask questions, your principal should have been in your room a lot, checking on your progress. You were screwed by an admin that did not give you the support you needed and I am sorry it cost you your job.

14. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 22, 2007

This sounds like a terrible situation!

As other posters have suggested, you need to be in touch with your union rep and work to have this resolved. In our district, they can't do anything like take action to have our licenses suspended or revoked without due process. And it's a lengthy, involved process.

You need legal representation. Make sure your union secures it for you.

15. Tbelle1035

Tbelle1035 Cohort

Jul 22, 2007

As a mother of young adults just starting out on their own, I am learning a lot! I will have to make an effort to remember to be considerate and sensitive! Thanks for the lesson!:thanks:

16. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jul 22, 2007

That sounds like something my dad would do. How annoying for her to put you through all of that.

17. lowiq

lowiq Rookie

Jul 22, 2007

I think you'll get back in. You need prayer. We all do.
    I'm curious. Are you in a state where they don't quite know what they are doing with NCLB yet? I think there might be a lot of weird things going on in those states. I think they are in a panic. They have been raising teacher salaries, there's increased competition, pressure on principals, etc.

18. eduk8r

eduk8r Enthusiast

Jul 22, 2007

Mister G, first, I think all of our credentials can be revoked if a livescan background check comes up with anything, ever. Why it's stated on this state's credential is kind of strange. If I were you, I would not have any conversations with the principal or anyone else without representation. But I don't see how your credential can be revoked for such simple new teacher errors. Big deal. They really should have supported you more. You could have asked questions, but if you don't know how can you ask?

from what you say here,
    it sounds as though your principal was against you, not trying to help you out at all, and very unprofessional. That is not right, and it should be against your contract agreement. Definitely talk with your union representatives and get legal advice.

19. reverie

reverie Companion

Jul 22, 2007

Mine says that on my license as well. It's always been like that and I'm assuming all the new teachers here have that on their license too.