taking another offer after accepting the first one?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by rwfromkansas, Mar 12, 2007.

1. rwfromkansas

rwfromkansas Rookie

Mar 12, 2007

Hello,

I am wanting to know the ethics of taking a position and then accepting another position if a "better" one comes along.

The reason I am asking is that there are some jobs that will require me to go to more rural locations, and if I accept a position there my significant other's career will not be able to flourish as much.

But, there are many places with openings near larger cities that would be excellent for her career.

If I take a position at one of those rural areas and manage to land a job with a district near a big city (unlikely being I am social studies and a first year teacher), would it be ethical to take the second job and back down on the one I accepted?

Frankly I would feel extremely bad about doing so....if I say I am going to do something, I consider that an oath and something that I mean.

But, I would not be backing out for my "dream job." I would be backing out for the sake of my family.

In KS, teachers do not have to let the administration know they are not coming back until MAY, so summer is incredibly busy with hiring in all licensure areas. My feeling at least right now is that it would be okay to turn down the first job before May, but after that, I would feel really bad and would stick with the original job for a few years and then hopefully be able to move closer to a big city.

Does anybody have any insight to provide? What do administrators think about this?

3. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Mar 12, 2007

Look out for number UNO! Do what's best for you. It's a dog eat dog world out there.

4. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Mar 12, 2007

Even if it is unprofessional (and I'm not saying it is), life is too short to settle for less.

5. Malcolm

Malcolm Enthusiast

Mar 12, 2007

What is your word worth? IMHO if you don't intend to follow through, you should not accept the offer.

Check with your state licensing agency. In California, breaking a contract is grounds for action against your credential. You can certainly forget ever working for the district you stiff in any case. You may be screwing yourself in other districts as well because word gets around. And some districts ask whether you have ever broken a teaching contract on the application. Lie and get found out and it is grounds for immediate dismissal.

6. ozteach

ozteach Comrade

Mar 12, 2007

I had this situation last year. I felt absolutely sick about it but ended up making a very difficult phone call and withdrawing my acceptance of the first offer. Luckily, I hadn't signed contracts yet, hadn't even begun work there. It was one of the hardest phone calls I've made, the headmaster wasn't happy (understandably), but I don't regret what I did. The position I ended up accepting is perfect for me and my family.

I say do what's right for you, schools are resilient entities and generally interviewing and finding teachers is just part of life.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2007
  7. mincc

mincc Companion

Mar 12, 2007

If you sign a contract, you are bound. Never, ever break it unless there is something terribly wrong with the job. I know someone who did that and was ok, because there was something in the job that was not disclosed to her-they let her out of it because they knew they had been deceitful. This was a HUGE thing, believe me. I also know someone who broke one because she didn't like the job and she almost wound up being sued. I think they found an immediate replacement, so they did not pursue it. But, here, in NJ, they can take your certs. away.

If you accept a job and have not signed anything, then you are not bound. This happened to me, I had to turn down a job (long story) and although it was an AWFUL decision for me, it was the right one for many reasons. However, I had not started the job. I think if you are in a non-contracted teaching position and you have started it, you have a moral dilemma. If you havent started, I say, go for the other job.

Good luck!!!!! :)

8. rwfromkansas

rwfromkansas Rookie

Mar 12, 2007

When do you typically sign contracts...right when you accept the offer?

9. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Mar 13, 2007

I agree. If you know the job is not right for you or your family, don't accept it in the first place.

10. rwfromkansas

rwfromkansas Rookie

Mar 13, 2007

Even as a first-year teacher.....don't you have to take whatever offer you get?

11. tinafirstgrade

tinafirstgrade Rookie

Mar 13, 2007

Hi, I also had to think about this issue as well. For me, I decided that I had to do what was right for myself. You will get all sorts of opinions, saying to do it or not to, but what do YOU think is right for you? Based upon your feelings about breaking the contract, I think your feelings are telling you that it's not what you should do. For me, I decided that I would not sign or accept an offer unless, I was 100% on board. Of course life happens ( moving, pregnant, mental breakdown, illness etc) but to purposefully know that you may break a contract, isen't right in my eyes. I know, I feel better about myself and my decision because of this. I took another person's advice and have done my research with schools where I put them in Yes, Maybe, and Heck No categories. Based on my information and knowledge, I feel prepared and ready to accept or not accept a job. And to your last question about taking whatever your offered, I think it depends on your area and your research data. What are you worth? Good luck to you!

12. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Mar 13, 2007

Nope, it's an offer, not a summons.

That said, you know the job situation in the area you're looking, and the likliehood of other offers coming in.

13. mommee03

mommee03 Companion

Mar 13, 2007

Here in Texas, you typically dont sign your contract until you have the 'official' meeting with the district. If you sign the contract, try to stay with it at least a year. However if no contract was signed, make the difficult call, but in the long run you have to do what's best for your family.

14. lajoers3

lajoers3 Comrade

Mar 16, 2007

Agreed. And I think that if you are awaiting a response from a school you'd absolutely love to teach at but get an offer at another okay school then don't accept straight away. Let them know that you would like to you would like to take a day to consider their offer. I wouldn't ask them to hold off too long but they'll appreciate it in the end. If you end up saying no to their offer because of a different offer at least they'll know that you didn't string them along. I also learned that there is more to a school than good pay and well resourced buildings and grounds (not that i'm saying that that is why you want to go to a school, just was part of the reasoning for me and I really got kicked in the butt) so I guess consider the reasons for why you think a school may be good or bad.