taking a pay cut to be in public

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by MsTeckel, May 23, 2012.

1. MsTeckel

MsTeckel Comrade

May 23, 2012

(Man, Im posting up a storm lately)

So, Im making Max. 40k a year at a non-public private day school. Thats what I'll make the rest of my life if I stay there.

Would you take a public school job if you have take a pay cut? There are some (most) districts that will not give me the experience credit for my years (4+). Its in the contract that to get experience credit, your teaching years have to be in a public school.

While the 1st step Masters isn't that far off, some districts meet or exceed my current salary.. Then some districts are off about 5k a year. Granted retirement is amazing, 9% compared to my measly 3% with my 403b.

Any thoughts on this?

3. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

May 23, 2012

Personally, I am more concerned about school fit than pay. If you like your school, stay. A raise every year wont matter if you hate your job. If you find a public school you like more, go for it!

Good luck!

4. MsTeckel

MsTeckel Comrade

May 23, 2012

i feel the need to be in a public school....i feel that i can offer more there.

I don't feel very effective where Im teaching now.

Im just concerned about making a living as well :)

5. orangetea

orangetea Connoisseur

May 23, 2012

I would apply for jobs because making the same salary for the rest of my life isn't something I'd be too happy with.

If you feel like a public school would be a better fit, apply! It can't hurt, and if you don't get a job, at least you have one now.

6. tonysam

tonysam Comrade

May 23, 2012

Stay put. It is very hazardous careerwise to go into public education. It is NOT the way it was when you were in school. You have absolutely no idea how bad it can be, and with all of the dubious "reforms" coming down the pike with the abolition of tenure and seniority in many states, you would be a fool to throw away a good job for something you won't last five years in or ever get vested in a pension.

It's all about the money now with these privatizers. Some people here with their heads in the sand try and discount what I say or how I say it, but people have to be told the brutal truth. Unless the public finally wakes up to the assault on public education, there will be NO public education as we know it in 20 years.

7. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

May 23, 2012

Money is important. There are other factors that are also important, too.

Sit down with a calculator and see if you can live on a budget of the public school's salary. If you can, then go for a change. If you can't manage your bills on the lower salary, then your decision will be made for you.

8. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

May 23, 2012

I left private for money and professional growth. I wasn't fulfilled in my first public position...it just wasn't a fit for my philosophy and personal growth. I left there and took a slight pay cut to come to my current public school position. It's a great place for me...good PD, great colleagues, supportive parents, and a great payscale which has surpassed what I ever would have made in my private school...but the money wouldn't be worth it if I was miserable.

9. MsTeckel

MsTeckel Comrade

May 23, 2012

Im not miserable in my current position, but I feel there is something more out there for me. More that I can do...Ive had this feeling for 3 years and keep talking myself out of it

10. MsTeckel

MsTeckel Comrade

May 23, 2012

So pretty much finding the RIGHT school....is going to be worth the pay cut...not just any public school...

Makes sense

11. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

May 23, 2012

This may be depending on your area, but keep in mind too that many public schools haven't offered raises in years, with no end in sight. I'm just saying you shouldn't factor a yearly raise in when you're thinking about money. Many schools publish salary scales showing advancement each year, but most haven't had the money recently to actually advance everyone. My pay was actually decreased this year!

12. jen12

jen12 Devotee

May 23, 2012

The first thing to do is figure out if you really, REALLY can make the pay cut work. If it means you'll be struggling to make the bills each month, you can't do it. Idealism, happiness, importance aside, we work because we have to. Everyone has a nut to meet and that is really the most important factor. What good is loving your job if you're racking up debt each month?

Then there are the problems finding a job in public education to consider. People here are responding to those issues.

Just saying...there is a lot to think about. Nobody can tell you what is right for you.

13. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

May 23, 2012

Money isn't everything and you can always make more.

If you find a public school that you love...jump ship

14. MsTeckel

MsTeckel Comrade

May 23, 2012

Money is just one factor that I'm considering. I've thought about all the issues and I will continue to think about.

I need to get my ECSE approval first...

I know no one can tell me what's right for me. I just needed o make sure I wasn't completely out of my mind to take a pay cut, if needed

15. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

May 24, 2012

I would look carefully at any public schools. Look at how many teachers get laid off in any given year.

The district I live in has laid off teachers with up to 10/11 years of experience! Granted some/most get called back every year, but there's no guarentee of the position. They also haven't had raises in a few years.

Sometimes, they hire for a specific need.

16. teacher36

teacher36 Comrade

May 26, 2012

There is a lot of talk about job security in the public schools but I work in a private school and was just told that it is closing it's doors at the end of the month due to low enrollment. Now I am unemployed and searching frantically. I turned down public school offers last year because I was happy where I was and now I regret that decision. It's a risk no matter where you teach. Hopefully the climate will change soon and we can continue to do what we love without worrying about our futures.