taking a gace test again

Discussion in 'Basic Skills Tests' started by 37Art, Jan 17, 2009.

1. 37Art

37Art New Member

Jan 17, 2009

Currently I am paraprofessional at one of elementary schools in Georgia.I have my balcherior degree from Europ ,art and leteracy.I took the test gace and I fellt,scores are 170 math 184 reading and writng 175.Please is any one to help with the test.

Thankyou

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 17, 2009

In your case, the single most important thing you probably need is to work on your English. See if your local community college has classes that can help you. What's your first language?

4. bridgetbordeaux

bridgetbordeaux Companion

Feb 12, 2009

Most of the technical colleges in the metro Atlanta area have ESOL classes available. My husband teaches at one of them and he has several international students

5. browngirl

browngirl Rookie

Feb 13, 2009

I took the basic skills exam GACE on 1/10 and passed with flying colors. That was my first time taking the exam and I only had 10days to prepare. It was a fly by night decision to test. I studied the materials that are on Xam Online. I got this info from someone that took the exam before. I found their study guide very useful. You should check it out.

6. OnMyWay2009

OnMyWay2009 New Member

May 8, 2009

is it true that if you hold a masters degree... one will NOT have to take the GACE basic skills assessment... Thanks for any replies:)

7. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 8, 2009

I would expect either the GACE Web site or the Georgia state department of education Web site to have something to say about this. Chances are that it's not having the master's degree so much as having a certain score on the GRE, though that's just a guess on my part.

8. stephaniewh1

stephaniewh1 New Member

May 12, 2009

Middle Grades Math Content

I'm interested in joining a study group for the GACE Content: Middle Grades Math. I took the exam in March and scored a 191. I've already registered to retake the exam in June. Can anyone who has passed this exam offer me some tips, study material to review, web sites to use? :thumb:

9. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 12, 2009

Not right here, no, stephaniewh1: the Basic Skills subforum is for - well, basic skills tests. You'll do better with the Single Subject Tests subforum; there are some lively discussions of various states' math tests and of materials with which to prepare for them.

Welcome to A to Z!

10. AAO

AAO Rookie

May 21, 2009

It will be too nice of you if you could provide me some pointers on how you have achieved it to study. Any preparation material.

11. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 21, 2009

If it's like most states' basic skills tests for teachers, there will be multiple choice questions on reading comprehension and basic math plus one or two formal essays. I'm guessing from your posts, AAO, that English is not your first language. You might find that the Skill Builders books from LearningExpress (Reading Comprehension in 20 Minutes a Day, Write Better Essays in 20 Minutes a Day, and some smaller and shorter books that have appeared recently) might serve you well. LearningExpress books are available in most of the big bookstores. The Web site (http://www.LearnATest.com) was more than a little confusing to navigate the last time I checked it, but one hopes that that has changed.

12. AAO

AAO Rookie

May 23, 2009

Thanks a lot "TeacherGroupie". Its a very useful information. Do you have any idea if there is any website which publish previous GACE basic skill papers.

13. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 23, 2009

If you mean previous topics, I doubt you'll find them for GACE: the program hasn't been in effect long enough to have a backlog of released questions. If you mean sample essays so that you can get a sense of what the scorers want to see, the official materials on the Web site should have that.

Which did you want: the topics or the samples?

14. AAO

AAO Rookie

May 23, 2009

I need samples.That will be a great help.

15. AAO

AAO Rookie

May 23, 2009

Has anybody done the workshop on GACE.

16. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 23, 2009

There's a sample response here: http://www.gace.nesinc.com/GA_PG_200201202_opener.asp.

Basic-skills tests are generally looking for writing that fulfills the prompt and is highly organized and grammatically correct. I would guess that an essay that would pass any other state's basic-skills requirement would pass GACE's, and vice versa.

17. qwalker

qwalker Rookie

May 28, 2009

I am taking the middle grades gace on june 13 if you find out anything please let me know. I need help

18. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 28, 2009

That's not a basic skills test, qwalker; let's deal with it in the Single Subject Tests subforum, okay?

19. rlp78kumar

rlp78kumar New Member

Jun 21, 2009

You should buy the Xam Basic Skills for GACE study guide, they are availble at Barnes and Nobles bookstore. It was very helpful. Never give up on those exams!!! Never get discouraged....never!
    Keep taking it until you pass them. Maybe get a tutor.

20. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 21, 2009

Tutoring can be helpful; classes can be helpful; finding and using different resources for study can be helpful. Not everyone studies or thinks the same way.