Taken off a sub list?

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by ST13, Jan 29, 2013.

1. ST13

ST13 Companion

Jan 29, 2013

Have you ever been taken off a sub list for not working enough? or do you know someone who has? I'm just curious in how different districts handle certain situations since its my first year as a sub.

I'm working for two districts and am trying to learn how to balance the days I work but at the same time I can't wait around and turn down jobs hoping another district will need me you know?

What have your experiences been like?

3. StellatheSub

StellatheSub Rookie

Jan 29, 2013

I work for 8 districts. I have been removed from districts for not subbing there enough. The ones that have plenty of subs are quicker to remove you than others.

4. stampin'teacher

stampin'teacher Cohort

Jan 29, 2013

I've never been taken off a list, but I do find that schools I don't go to as frequently, I received jobs less frequently. The more I subbed at a particular school, the more I was called into that school.

5. Milsey

Milsey Habitué

Feb 17, 2013

Yes, I believe I got blacklisted because I filed for unemployment compensation. The district fought it and then dropped the case. I noticed, however, they no longer called me after that. I work full time so whatever!

6. hbcaligirl1985

hbcaligirl1985 Cohort

Feb 22, 2013

Is there any way to petition being taken off a sublist or to inquire why one is blacklisted?

7. hbcaligirl1985

hbcaligirl1985 Cohort

Feb 22, 2013

That is kind of a catch 22 though, isn't it? Like how can you frequently go to a school if you don't get calls for it?

8. TeachingHistory

TeachingHistory Companion

Feb 23, 2013

I haven't been taken off a list but the one district that I had subbed at didn't have an automated system quit calling. After you told them no so many times because you were already scheduled (they would call 20 min before the school day started!) the simply quit calling you.

9. Jen84

Jen84 Companion

Feb 23, 2013

I work for two districts. I was told by both that I will remain on the sub list until I request to be removed.

10. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Feb 23, 2013

I think paranoid thoughts are natural as a sub teacher, even if you work every day (as I do).

Up until recent years, I purposely neglected in informing my main district why I couldn't be available to work for them. In effect, I didn't want to tell my steady that I was seeing someone else... for fear of losing out (employment). ;)

At this point though, I don't give a cr- anymore (i.e. like the guy who wants to get caught cheating). In fact, I want to create a dispute, so I can go off on them in a blaze of glory. I almost hope they let me go. I DREAM of the day that I become employed elsewhere, so I can tell them to ____ ___.