Take Time to Look Out the Window

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Ms. I, Jan 23, 2010.

1. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jan 23, 2010

In a magazine I was reading, they list this as one of the calming things to do to relax. A psych study states that looking out at nature scenes gives a person a greater drop in heart rate than watching the same scene(s) on TV. So next time you're paying the bills or sipping tea, sit by your biggest window! :)

I admit that I never do this at home. I'd have a lovely view of the park behind my house...that is, if they (the city) would ever cut down the trees that have grown too tall to block my view of it! :mad:

3. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jan 23, 2010

We back out onto a small ravine, so have a nice view of the woods (although, at this time of year, we can see the houses on the other side). Our kitchen table is in front of the biggest window, and that is my favourite place to sit and mark or plan for school.

4. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Jan 24, 2010

There is a farmer's field just past our driveway. We see it from our living room windows. He grows corn or soybeans out there.

Deer live in the woods at the far end of the field. Sometimes they come up to this side of the field. Once I saw two does out in the field with their two fawns. The fawns ran around the field, just like little kids would do. Then the fawns ran off to one side of the field - out of sight.

The mothers walked over to their babies. Then they all walked off, back home to the far side of the field, into the woods.

It was a lovely sight!

5. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jan 24, 2010

Sometimes, it would be nice to look out my window & see deer & rabbits, but not a chance in my neighborhood. :)

6. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jan 24, 2010

I think it would be fun for us to post a picture taken to show the view from our window. Anyone else? :)

7. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jan 24, 2010

From the front of my house:

[​IMG]

From the back of my house. There's a lovely park behind this. I wish I could see it better:

[​IMG]

8. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jan 24, 2010

Oh, I love the mountains. How beautiful. I'm terribly guilty of stereotyping states...when I hear California I think only of the celebrity-beach-sun California. I wish I didn't do that...it's so silly. Again, very stunning, Ms. I.

9. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jan 24, 2010

Thanks. :) That mtn pic wasn't taken recently, so there's a lot more snow there now!

10. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Jan 24, 2010

When the new wing opened at our school, we got to choose rooms. I made sure I had one with a nice view. I can see a lot of sky, and it faces west. So I see the weather rolling in from Alabama all the time. It's very beautiful.

At home, there isn't a view that isn't full of nature. But the one out the back windows is the nicest. I have an easy chair next to a floor to ceiling window, and I curl up in it to read. I sometimes catch movement out back and see deer coming out of the woods. There are a lot of dogwoods out back also.

11. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Jan 24, 2010

I am lucky because when they planned our school they thought some building developments would go in, but instead it became a wildlife corridor which will never be developed so from my class I see a small mountain and scrub. Not much of a view from my house except we totally redid the yard with water wise plants which attract hummingbirds and butterflys, a slate patio, shade structure and fire pit so it makes me happy to see it.

12. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jan 25, 2010

My school surrounds a central courtyard; I pass through it 4 or 5 times a day.

There's a koi pond that rings the center, with 4 small bridges providing pathways. There are all sorts of plants and flowers, and we have duckings every spring.

Another courtyard has, belive it or not, peacocks.

Those 4 minutes between classes, while hurried, are gorgeous and calm, especially in the nice weather!

13. webmistress

webmistress Devotee

Jan 25, 2010

I love that mountain view!

14. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jan 25, 2010

Thanks a lot! :D