Take the reading again or the writing or both?

Discussion in 'Basic Skills Tests' started by Drm2tch, Feb 14, 2020.

1. Drm2tch

Drm2tch Rookie

Feb 14, 2020

Okay guys so not happy to be posting this as I was hoping for a better outcome. I took the VClA in January and got a 78 raw score in reading (235 final score) and 80 raw score(195 final score) in writing. I took the writing portion again in February since that is the one I failed and got 68 raw score (215 final score). I am so disappointed. Although I brought my score up, it was not enough to pass. So here I go for round 3. Should I take the reading portion again to try to increase my score from a 235 to a 255 or should I gamble again on the writing to increase my score to a 235? Or.... should I just retake them both and start from scratch? What would you do? I can’t keep spending the time and money on this test. My licensure will be up in July and I still have the VRE to take. I am so frustrated.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2020
  3. CherryOak

CherryOak Companion

Feb 16, 2020

I vote reading. You would have the full time and could double check each answer. Look over the standards we're expected to teach.

Drm2tch likes this.
  4. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Feb 19, 2020

I would suggest trying to get @TeacherGroupie to notice this post. That is your best bet to have someone make head's or tail's of the information that comes back with the results, giving a better idea of strengths and weaknesses. Best of luck.

futuremathsprof and Drm2tch like this.
  5. Drm2tch

Drm2tch Rookie

Feb 20, 2020

Thank you. I am glad someone can make sense of it because I sure can’t @TeacherGroupie can you please help?

6. Onaapo2016

Onaapo2016 New Member

Feb 20, 2020

I am not very sure but I guess u have to retake the writing section because each section tests for specific content area . I believe one can substitute reading with writing.
    eg: reading + reading = reading.
    reading +writing = VCLA.

Drm2tch likes this.
  7. Drm2tch

Drm2tch Rookie

Feb 20, 2020

As long as the score combined equals 470. Since my reading was low (but passing) I am thinking I should try to bump up that score to off set the writing. Taking both again is going to be more expensive but I am hoping it will increase my chances of increasing my score