Take the reading again or the writing or both?

Discussion in 'Basic Skills Tests' started by Drm2tch, Feb 14, 2020.

1. Drm2tch

Drm2tch Rookie

Feb 14, 2020

Okay guys so not happy to be posting this as I was hoping for a better outcome. I took the VClA in January and got a 78 raw score in reading (235 final score) and 80 raw score(195 final score) in writing. I took the writing portion again in February since that is the one I failed and got 68 raw score (215 final score). I am so disappointed. Although I brought my score up, it was not enough to pass. So here I go for round 3. Should I take the reading portion again to try to increase my score from a 235 to a 255 or should I gamble again on the writing to increase my score to a 235? Or.... should I just retake them both and start from scratch? What would you do? I can’t keep spending the time and money on this test. My licensure will be up in July and I still have the VRE to take. I am so frustrated.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2020
  3. CherryOak

CherryOak Comrade

Feb 16, 2020

I vote reading. You would have the full time and could double check each answer. Look over the standards we're expected to teach.

Drm2tch likes this.
  4. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Feb 19, 2020

I would suggest trying to get @TeacherGroupie to notice this post. That is your best bet to have someone make head's or tail's of the information that comes back with the results, giving a better idea of strengths and weaknesses. Best of luck.

futuremathsprof and Drm2tch like this.
  5. Drm2tch

Drm2tch Rookie

Feb 20, 2020

Thank you. I am glad someone can make sense of it because I sure can’t @TeacherGroupie can you please help?

6. Onaapo2016

Onaapo2016 New Member

Feb 20, 2020

I am not very sure but I guess u have to retake the writing section because each section tests for specific content area . I believe one can substitute reading with writing.
    eg: reading + reading = reading.
    reading +writing = VCLA.

Drm2tch likes this.
  7. Drm2tch

Drm2tch Rookie

Feb 20, 2020

As long as the score combined equals 470. Since my reading was low (but passing) I am thinking I should try to bump up that score to off set the writing. Taking both again is going to be more expensive but I am hoping it will increase my chances of increasing my score

8. gwendolync3

gwendolync3 New Member

Jul 28, 2020

I am nervous now. I took the VCLA on July 17 2020 and my unofficial scores were 77 % Reading and 85% Writing. I did complete the summary but I didn't get 300 words in on the composition. I really don't want to take either test again.

9. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Jul 29, 2020

10. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 29, 2020

Welcome to A to Z, gwendolync!

Those percentages are all raw scores based on selected-response questions, at the standard rate of one raw point per correct answer. So what you have in hand is 77% of available points in reading and 85% of 50% of available points in writing, and raw points from the constructed-response parts of the writing section aren't reported.

Exactly how those percentages will map onto scaled points remains to be seen. Scaling of tests results exists to compensate for the inevitable differences in difficulty from question to question and from test version to test version. If Pearson judges that the Reading version you took is easier than the one Drm2tch took, then your 77% could translate into fewer scaled points than the 235 that Drm2tch got; conversely, your raw points could conceivably get you to 235, if Pearson thinks your version was harder. Your raw score in writing so far is five percentage points higher, so that's cause for cautious optimism.

In scoring basic-skills tests, it's generally the case that a composition won't be failed simply for being a little short, provided it demonstrates that the writer has a decent grasp on how to frame a thesis statement, how to organize and support an argument for that thesis statement, and how to manage educated English vocabulary, grammar and mechanics without making egregious mistakes. If you were disappointed in the quality of your essay, that tends to be a good sign (and I'm happy to explain why my statement makes sense).