Take Ten (cover letter)

Discussion in 'Job Hunting & Interviews' started by JaimeMarie, Feb 14, 2007.

1. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Feb 14, 2007

Ok I think this is it. If I change it one more time I think Alice may give me a time out.

Dear Dr. So and So,

I would love the opportunity to be interviewed for the kindergarten teacher position. With my degree in Elementary Education and teaching certificate, I am extremely interested in teaching within the Something School District.

I have spent the past year in a self-contained classroom teaching ten students in kindergarten through eighth grade. My experience has shaped me into an observant, flexible teacher dedicated to guiding students toward ongoing success. My lessons are differentiated to meet the needs of each individual student. I simultaneously taught basic addition skills to a kindergartner and multiplication facts to my third and fourth graders, while also keeping the other students on task. I can readily adapt my plans to accommodate a variety of educational backgrounds.

With these unique strengths, I write because I am returning to Southern Maine in June, and seek a position as an elementary school teacher within the Something School Department.

I am excited about the possibility of a personal interview to further discuss my qualifications with you. I can be reached at my number. Thank you for taking the time to review my credentials and to consider me for employment with your district.

Best Regards,

Jaime Marie

Enclosures

3. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Feb 14, 2007

I think it sounds great!

Good luck. It sounds to the point.

4. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Feb 14, 2007

Does it meet these needs?
    1. Believe that improving student learning is the ultimate goal.
    2. Are energized by working with others to create a K-12 system of honest and fair communication about what all students know and can do.
    3. Seek continuous improvement of their craft by embracing feedback from other educators, students, and parents.
    4. Value team work and team learning.
    5. Want to improve their assessment skills by working with other educators to design and refine assessments.
    6. Are intrigued by what can be learned by looking at student work with colleagues.
    7. Believe that students of all ages need to be articulate about what they know, can do, and who they are as learners.
    8. Want to be part of a high quality school system where professional development and resources are targeted at a focused school improvement agenda.
    9. Believe that schools and educators control the conditions for student success.

5. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Feb 14, 2007

Jaime Marie-

Where did you get that check list? I need to incorporate those things into mine but I need to get some feedback from the cover letter gurus here first. I posted this morning but haven't had any responses. That's probably not a good thing. LOL

I'm not sure if number 3 and 4 are real clear in your cover letter. I do think it is great though and I wouldn't have noticed that if I didn't see your check list.

I like yours a lot and it paints a good picture.

6. JenL

JenL Comrade

Feb 14, 2007

i would just change some simple things in the first paragraph....
    i personally don't like how casual it sounds...a cover letter should be very professional....the term "love" sticks out to me.....
    also i would through something in there about why you want to intervew with the district because it will make it more personal and you might have to do a little researching to get the info but i think it is worth it.
    i think the rest of your letter is excellent and sounds a lot more professional as you read on....just the first paragraph needs a little work.
    good luck!

7. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Feb 14, 2007

The list was on the website for the school I want to apply to. Well if I don't hit those two in the cover letter that is fine.
    I'll go look at yours now.

8. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Feb 14, 2007

I actually got that line from how to write a cover letter.

9. goopp

goopp Devotee

Feb 14, 2007

I don't think being a little casual in your cover letter is a bad thing. I think that there are some people who might not like it, but I think that there are more that will appreciate getting a feel for you from the attitude of the letter. I think if you try to keep it too business like it sounds stilted and "boring". I've had good response from my cover letters and they read more like a personal letter to a friend than a stiff sounding business letter. I still have info about my professionalism, just the style is more casual than business. Different people like different things and that's JMO.

10. goopp

goopp Devotee

Feb 14, 2007

Jaime, I think your letter sounds great! I know how much work you've put into it...now it's time to send it off and get that job!

11. merigold78

merigold78 Cohort

Feb 14, 2007

jamie marie-i think your final draft sounds great! :) i don't think in a (short, to the point) cover letter you will be able to hit all the things they mentioned. i don't think anyone could! but i think you've done an excellent job of marketing yourself and also expressing your interest and enthusiasm. good luck to you-my fingers are crossed!!!
    -meri

12. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Feb 14, 2007

I'm pleading the fifth. MAIL THE LETTER :)

13. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Feb 14, 2007

I can't send it I'm snowed in remember. Oh and I don't have a resume to go with it :eek: and I'm still waiting on two letters of recommendations.
    Thank you everyone!

14. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Feb 14, 2007

I think it's great. :)