Take it online!

Discussion in 'General Education' started by deserttrumpet, Jul 12, 2008.

1. deserttrumpet

deserttrumpet Comrade

Jul 12, 2008

There has been a movement towards offering more and more classes online. Many of us have taken teacher prep classes through online colleges. However, more and more kids are getting their education through online classes. Do any of you facilitate online classes? What are your thoughts about this moving trend?

3. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Jul 13, 2008

I'm taking online classes for my master's degree. I needed to do this because my husband is in the military. Since I don't know if we'll have to move, it's easier to take classes I can take from any state. But my school is a state college in Idaho, so if I wanted I could go to classes in person also. I like having both options.

4. Zarathi

Zarathi Rookie

Jul 13, 2008

Online classes are often super easy...tests are usually not proctored so you could use your book even though you're not supposed to and stuff like that. I've done it. I will do it for classes I can during my master's program. Heck, I even took speech online!!

5. Zarathi

Zarathi Rookie

Jul 13, 2008

Wait, I think I misread your post! A friend of my facilitates a high school math class online. It sounds pretty solid to me. A person (not necessarily a teacher) watches the students, he assigns work and there are videos the kids watch......the kids do the assigned work, the person scans the work into the computer and emails them to the teacher. He spends most of his time grading, though. He says that once they're originally set up, there's no work in any other classes......just grading. I think the kids really benefit from it, too, as long as there's a good person watching over them and making them do what they're supposed to.

Hope that helps.

6. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 13, 2008

I'm all for online classes! I love them! I took a few in the early 2000s to get my Masters in Ed, but I would have taken more if my school had them. I'm going back to school for another Masters & after having to drive to tk several prereq courses, there's a completely online 3-year program I plan to be a part of. The only time I'll see anyone is on grauduation day at the very end.

Now with gas at the prices they are, it's the way to go!

7. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Jul 13, 2008

I completed my first BS degree mostly online. I can tell you that not every class is easy. Some of the hardest classes I did were online, the hardest ones were those where you were required to write extended responses to questions and post them on a class message board. The responses needed to be paper quality.

Every test from every school I did online had proctered exams. I was always watched and as never allowed to violate the rules. Reading loads can be much heavier, and of course, if you have a question sometimes it is just impossible to talk to a professor. I had one class where the instructions for a project were so poorly done that I had to ask a question, well the professor refused to talk to me. UGH!

If you have found an online program where things are super easy, they don't require proctored exams etc, watch yourself. One you are shortchanging yourself on the education you should be recieving. But I know from experience that some schools will not online classes in transfer because of them being too easy or not proctored.

IF I found a program with the last three online Masters classes I need along with a good reputation, I would take them. But that aint gonna happen (the classes I have left I have to do in person)

8. CanadianTeacher

CanadianTeacher Groupie

Jul 13, 2008

When I did my B.Ed. I had to drive 1 1/2 hours one way to classes, 5 days a week. That was 3 hours of driving everyday and it wiped me right out. That was the closest university to where I live. I take all of my courses online now and I love it. It's great for those of us who don't live close to a university. I wouldn't say they are any easier - probably about the same, but without all the inconvenience of making it to class by a certain time.

For kids, I don't think it's a good idea, at least until grade 11 or 12. So much of school is learning skills in the social aspect of life and that would be lost of students could do school online. Although it is a viable option for special circumstances like kids who are extremely sick or something like that. It definitely has it's place.

9. cmw

cmw Groupie

Jul 13, 2008

I took a reserach in ed. class online. The material was a bit tricky, but it was great working at my own pace. I think it would be great if you knew someone else who was taking the same class so you had someone to talk to. We were assigned a partner, but mine dropped out and I was own my own. I definitely would do it again! :D

10. Weazy

Weazy Comrade

Jul 13, 2008

I, too, am going to take my Master's online. At my age and after all the classes I have taken, I like having online classes as a choice. I enjoyed my classes, but now that I am teaching all day, and I don't have college nearby that offers a masters in ed., I just don't have the time to drive, study, etc.

As for high school offering online classes--I am not crazy about it. I do not think most high schoolers are mature enough to handle an online situation and most need the social stimulation and benefits of working with others in a classroom.

11. deserttrumpet

deserttrumpet Comrade

Jul 13, 2008

Great thoughts. I wonder, Engmom, if you feel that an on line class geared for high school students could still create a social environment where students work together?

12. Weazy

Weazy Comrade

Jul 13, 2008

It is not the same classroom experience. I don't think we can replace "social" just by having everybody on the computer chatting at the same time. There is something to be said for face-to-face conversations. Yes, there is skype, etc., but it is not the same as being in the same room together. I think it is important that kids learn to work together in that cpapcity. Who knows what will be exspected of them in the work world. Not all of them will be sitting behind a computer. Many of them will have to work one-on-one, or with groups of people, and the first place they begin learning these skills is in the classroom. JMO. :)