Take Home or Leave At School?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by SoReady2Teach, Aug 20, 2010.

1. SoReady2Teach

SoReady2Teach Comrade

Aug 20, 2010

I'm just curious to get opinions on taking work home. Do you ever take anything school related home or no? This is my first year and I've heard both sides. Give me your :2cents:

3. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Aug 20, 2010

I take a lot of work home. I would rather grade in front of the TV or plan cuddled with my kitten listening to chill music :) I'm single though, I think that has a lot to do with how much work people take hiome

4. jday129

jday129 Comrade

Aug 20, 2010

I do most of my work at school, but I do bring things home occasionally. It depends on how much time you want to/can spend in your building.

5. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Aug 20, 2010

I bring things home. I am home by myself most of the time, so I'd just as soon work here. I'm more comfy on my sofa in my pj's.

I don't bring things home every night, though. I usually grade papers on the weekend, and I always do my weekly lesson plans then, too.

6. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Aug 20, 2010

I think the choice on whether to bring work home or do it at school depends on your home life. As a single mom with kids who are late teens and early twenties, I CAN bring home work now and not feel as if I am neglecting anyone. If I had a husband, I doubt bringing home and doing as much work for school as I do would be cool. Plus, I'd probably rather spend my time at home doing other things. Now, with the kids pretty much independent, I have tons of time to do some work at home. Still, I try to do most of it at school during my preps.

7. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Aug 20, 2010

I used to bring home most of my work. I just couldn't focus at school with all the other distractions (teachers, students, office staff, parents). However, after the birth of my first child, my entire philosophy changed. Now, I tell people that I need to get my work finished and invite them to talk in my room while I work. I bring work to all meetings to kill wasted time. But I bring very little home. I save my grading until I can get it done at school, what doesn't get done...so be it. I try to do all my planning at school as well, but every so often I have to make a worksheet or test at home... It is what it is.

8. myangel52

myangel52 Comrade

Aug 20, 2010

That was me! My first year teaching I brought nearly everything home, so I could do it where I was comfortable... especially since I was recovering from an unexpected surgery 2 weeks into the year, and found out that I *surprise!!* was pregnant. Hubby was working 30 minutes away, typically evening shifts, so it was just me at home with the cats.

I still brought stuff home the next year, because I was capable of working around my daughter. The next year, it wasn't happening. She needed me too much. After the birth of my son, I quickly realized that I had to figure out a way to get it done at school as much as possible. There is just too much at home right now and they need me so much more (not complaining about that!!). Maybe in a few years I can work at home a little more, but right now, I need to do as much at school as possible, so that my little ones and hubby have me at home, not distracted by school stuff.

9. jteachette

jteachette Comrade

Aug 20, 2010

I bring stuff home to correct a couple of days a week. All the TE's come home on Friday. I do my lesson planning on Saturday or Sunday afternoon. I used to bring work home every night, but it would go back in the morning untouched. Now I pick a couple of days to do it, and it gets done.
    I'm single, no kids though, so it's pretty much my choice of when I want to bring work home or not.

10. sweetlatina23

sweetlatina23 Cohort

Aug 20, 2010

My first year teaching I was single and lived at home so bringing work home wasn't so bad. Plus I was working a second job so when I had time I would grade there. It was fine, i didnt have a problem then. Once I got married slowly it was harder and harder to bring things home. My husband felt neglected, but then again we were newlyweds. The last few years the only thing would bring home was grades, inputing and if necessary grading final exams. This year (3rd year being married) and 5th year teaching I am back at being more cautious at organizing that I do my lesson plans at home. I take about 2 hours to do my lesson plans and find hands on activities to use, I do this in the living room or kitchen while my husband plays his PS3. Its only week 3 so who knows, I might stop bringing things home soon.

I say if you are single its worth it, it keeps you busy. If you are married or have children, maybe not everyday and especially not on weekends if you dont have to. My friend goes in on Saturdays when her kids go with their dad, it allows her to concentrate and she has better internet at work.

11. Irissa

Irissa Cohort

Aug 20, 2010

As an elementary teacher and a mother of young children my philosophy is if I have to take it home I'm giving too much work.

12. UVAgrl928

UVAgrl928 Habitué

Aug 20, 2010

I refuse to bring anything home... though this sometimes makes for long afternoons/evenings. My apartment is my place where I relax... which means no work!

13. Marci07

Marci07 Devotee

Aug 20, 2010

I bring work home like grading and lesson planning. I try not to bring papers to grade but I can't focus at work that much. What has worked wonders for me lately, as a mom and wife, is grading while I wait for my daughter in the car when I take her to activities.

I spend about 2 to 3 hours each week planning lessons and I normally work on these from home on Saturday or Sunday mornings before everybody wakes up. I always wake up early before everybody does, so I use this time to work on school work.

14. teacherheath

teacherheath Companion

Aug 20, 2010

A lot. But this year, I'm going to try to scale back a LOT. #1, to be more efficient. #2, because I used to sit in front of the TV, working on school stuff and EATING while I worked--not good! :)

15. teacherSMK

teacherSMK Habitué

Aug 20, 2010

In the past I found myself bringing home tons of stuff every night, and weekends. This year, we have half-day Fridays. So what I do not get done at school during the week I will complete on Friday afternoons. I plan to only bring things home on the weekends if it is absolutely necessary. My DD's are older and will both have homework this year. I plan on being able to focus on their homework this year. :)

16. Bumble

Bumble Groupie

Aug 20, 2010

I bring tests and quizzes home on the weekends. I write my lesson plans at home too. I try to refrain from bringing too much school related things home because I need a personal life and I'd rather keep the germs from school at school.

17. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 21, 2010

I agree. Once you start to, it could turn into a vicious cycle. At the beginning, it's "only" this, then as the months go by, it's "only this & that. Then, it turns to "only" this & that & that. If you never start, you don't have to worry about how much it's consuming your free time.

18. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 21, 2010

I do a lot of work at school, but I do some work at home every night--updating the class website, some marking, unit planning, reading professional books or novels that I'll use in class. I'd estimate that I work at least 15 hours a week at home (after my 10 hour days at school)--but my situation is a little different in that I have a classroom teaching assignment as well as co-ordinating Special Education services for the school.

19. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 21, 2010

I do both.

I try to do a lot of grading at school.

But I also try to get tests back within 24 hours, 48 on the outside-- I always hated having those teachers who took forever. And every once in a while, the cosmos allign and I end up testing 180 kids on the same day.

So, yeah, work comes home on occasion.

But I don't buy into the "vicious cycle" thing. I'm a big girl. Right now, I'm making a conscious decision to play here instead of tackling the laundry. In a few minutes, I'll decide to get to it. I'm not a victim of the work I bring home; I'm an adult who decides how to allocate my time.

20. Mrs. R.

Mrs. R. Connoisseur

Aug 21, 2010

For me, it really depends on what the work is. I like to do my planning at school; all of my resources and professional books are there. I spend some time at home looking for ideas on the internet, but that's because getting around the filter at school (which teachers are allowed to do) is annoying. I also plan better when I am in my school environment.

I try to grade as much as I can at school, but with 60 students in three classes, I don't always get bigger things like writing pieces or longer tests graded in a timely manner if I work only at school. Sunday evenings tend to be grading/entering/updating the class website time for me.

21. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Aug 21, 2010

I bring work home, but my husband is a teacher and he brings work home, too. We sponsor several clubs right after school, and with over 190 students, and three preps, I do not have time to get everything planned and graded at school, especially with all of the other paperwork and duties and work for the clubs I sponsor.

Someone mentioned grading papers at meetings as a time-saving tip earlier. I do not recommend this. Principals in this area really discourage this to the point of putting notes in teachers' files about it.

22. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 21, 2010

We have a couple of teachers who do this--one who regularly "blasted" a student who liked to doodle while she was teaching, hmmmm. Another teacher always sits and does marking during assemblies which always strikes me as being very disrespectful to the students--again, we wouldn't let them bring work to do.

23. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 21, 2010

I agree with you, 100%.

We find it incredibly rude when children do other work as we're speaking, and frequently penalize them for doing so.

How much worse is it of a professional, and an adult???

24. apple25

apple25 Comrade

Aug 21, 2010

For my first 4 years of teaching I was responsible for up to 6 different preps each day - plus numerous committees and extracurriculars (very small school!) but after transferring to a larger school I have tried my very best not to bring work home with me. It doesn't always happen, but I have felt much less stressed and tired. I will say though - I do a lot of planning in the summer and often weekends and/or holidays will be a time where I will sit down for a day and plan for a few weeks.

I do find it really hard to get work back in time - that's my goal this year - a quick turnaround. To do this, I think I'll try to get more marking done during lunchtime.

25. Iheartmath

Iheartmath Rookie

Aug 21, 2010

I like to get my planning done at school, just because my hallway is nice and quiet and I can think. If I'm grading math tests/quizzes or checking over HW I usually bring it with me. My kids are pretty busy after school with sports and dance lessons, so the grading can be done while I'm waiting for them to finish their activities. But at home my kids need help with their own homework, so if my work isn't graded there is always tomorrow, it's not the end of the world. My own children come first!

26. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Aug 21, 2010

It is a very rare occasion that I bring work home. My first 3 years I did a ton of work at home, and then I started grad school and had to figure out how to manage my time better and get work done at work. I now have a 17 month old daughter, so nothing gets done at night, and I can only stay about an hour after school before I have to go get her. I am very time-managed and work the entire time I am at the building.

27. SoReady2Teach

SoReady2Teach Comrade

Aug 21, 2010

I brought a few minor things home last night to work on. I'm going to try and not bring school stuff home as much since it's my first year and I know I will need all the rest and relaxation I can get.

28. pxydst07

pxydst07 Comrade

Aug 21, 2010

I loved reading everyone's opinion on bringing work home. I feel like the first few years of teaching, I brought home a bunch of stuff. I'm currently entering my fourth year, I have 3 children (13, 8, and 4), and I'm in the last half of my master's program. I need to manage my time more efficiently this year and I am truly going to try and bring less home. I like that some people designate days for the work they will bring home. I think I'm going to do that also. It just seems that something always needs to be done and sometimes things will have to come home.

29. SoReady2Teach

SoReady2Teach Comrade

Aug 21, 2010

I like that idea as well, I'll give it a try.

30. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Aug 21, 2010

In general, I have a no work at home policy. I have a class at 5 right down the road from school this semester, so I plan on that being my "work late night." If I do that once a week, in general I can get everything done.

That changes at the end of the semester, or when I have papers for all classes due at the same time. 150 essay are not going to get graded in my 45 minute planning period, no matter how hard I try. So then I bring them home and usually take them to the local coffee shop to grade. If things get really bad, I will actually take a sick day to grade. Some people thing that's stupid, but I would rather get caught up.

31. ChemTeachBHS

ChemTeachBHS Comrade

Aug 21, 2010

I try to do as much as I can at school but wind up bringing work home. I like to grade and watch tv at the same time. My fiance will be going through his first year of teaching this year so things could get interesting.

32. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Aug 21, 2010

My first two years I brought a ton of work home, but then I started my masters program and spent my nights and weekends doing homework. Now I do all of my planning at school and the majority of my grading is done there as well. It's actually really nice to know my lesson plans are done before I leave school on Friday rather than sitting there Sunday night trying to get them done.

33. SciTeacherNY

SciTeacherNY Companion

Aug 21, 2010

I try to bring as little work home as possible. Usually, if I have nothing going on, I wind up doing some planning on a Saturday or Sunday morning.