Take-home Learning Suitcases

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by CeCe, Aug 3, 2004.

1. CeCe

CeCe Companion

Aug 3, 2004

One of my goals this year is to put together enough portable learning centers that I can send one home once per week with each of my Kindergarten students for a parent-involved activity. I need a fairly sturdy carry case for each center to travel back and forth in and I was thinking of buying hard plastic lunchboxes from the dollar store if I can find them. Most of my centers will be laminated games & pieces, but some centers require a can of shaving cream, so I don't want to just use large envelopes. Does anyone have another idea for a carrying case if I can't find affordable lunchboxes?

3. lov2teach

lov2teach Guest

Aug 4, 2004

Lunch box fun!

The dollar tree has some plastic toolboxes that I have used, and can hold some bulkier items. You can decorate the top with paint markers, or have each child make their own.. They come in really handy, and are cheap ($tree offers a 10% discount to teachers. Good luck, i think that a traveling center is a great way to get parent's involved in their child's learning!

cari

4. mommaruthie

mommaruthie Aficionado

Aug 4, 2004

There is a Plastic Envelope thing at the dollar store that holds 8x10 papers without folding them. I know it gets wide, only by like 1/2 inch or a tad more when you add papers and such. ZIPLOC is the cheapest route and easiest to put into back packs!!
    ____ ______ ______ ______
    If you need to get some ideas on this, you can find take home backpacks at:
    Lakeshore learning materials
    They are take home packs for all content areas. The packs cost 20$ each and include everything you would need. Inside each is an activity card pack that the parents use to interact with the children, then the child returns with the pack completed.
    I got excited about these and have a notebook of my internet searches to create my own activity sheet. My neighbor gave me the copies of the actual program activity cards that her son came home with. It gives me a model of the lakeshore program so i can recreate the ones I didnt get. The literature packs I dont know if I had the books anyhow but you could use their theme ideas and use your own books:
    The primary level read together titles:
    Jump frog jump
    Eek theres a mouse in the house
    peanut butter and jelly
    if the dinosaurs came back
    bunny cakes
    tumble bumble
    the bag im taking to grandmas
    Amelias fantastic flight
    building a house
    fantastic frogs
    creepy beetles
    growing vegetable soup
    This is baseball
    on the farm
    my five senses
    Who hops
    The second set of 16 can be used for preschool-3rd:
    ABC I like me
    Red is Best
    Shoes
    It looked like spilt milk
    good night gorilla
    sheep in a jeep
    have you seen my cat
    have you seen my duckling
    what comes in a shell
    nests nests nests
    i love trucks
    im a firefighter
    Im a caterpillar
    airport
    loving
    dinosaurs dinosaurs.

5. mommaruthie

mommaruthie Aficionado

Aug 4, 2004

The lakeshore take home learning packs level 1 topics are
    alphabet
    rhyming
    patterning
    shapes
    color mixing
    plants
    ball activites
    rhythm
    beginning sounds
    opposites
    size
    graphing
    magnifying
    wearher
    movement
    dressing skills
    Level 2 topics:
    weriting
    sequencing
    more/less
    scounting
    sink float
    nutrition
    jump rope
    music
    positional words
    make a word
    estimation
    measurement
    human body
    sounds
    obstacle course
    lacing
    They also have a SPANISH take home program!
    I hope these ideas have helped stir someone into starting take home packs. My daughter NEVER had homework in kindergarten and i just was trying to come up with somethings for her! If anyone needs more info on my version of the above topics, or what activities i came up with for them, just post...I spent HOURS on the internet trying to find response activities to represent the lakeshore topics. I NEVER made the parent command/ activity cards-maybe some day!

6. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Aug 4, 2004

What about a plastic shoebox case? I'm going to try & do the same thing with my kinders, but at least to start I may only have 1 or 2 centers to go home and rotate among the kids and then send something different home. My problem is keeping track of who has taken what home! Last year I sent 2 stuffed animals home on the weekends & even though I used a checklist I somehow switched things around & some children ended up taking 1 animal home twice! Or not at all!

7. Noel

Noel Companion

Aug 4, 2004

Cece~

I was in our local Walmart last night and they had a large pencil box which may work. It was about the size of 2 usual size pencil boxes out together. I believe that they were right around a dollar. You may want to check that out. :)

Noel

8. CeCe

CeCe Companion

Aug 4, 2004

Ooooohhhh...Thanks for all the great ideas! I'm heading to Walmart today to check out those oversized pencil boxes and the toolboxes at The Dollar Store. I might buy some of each. That way, I can match my materials to the size box I need!

9. mommaruthie

mommaruthie Aficionado

Aug 4, 2004

Kmart had a plastic pencil box for fifty cents.

10. Seich30

Seich30 Comrade

Aug 10, 2004

I just got a catalog in my box and reminded me of this thread. They had small metal lunchboxes as take home kits. Inside were magnetic letters, so the kids could practice words and the inside cover surface. Don't know the practicality of make these--but thought it may jog another idea. They had tons of kits the website is www.TLConnection.com if you need more ideas.