Take Home Folders

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by jeeskenj, Jul 11, 2011.

1. jeeskenj

jeeskenj Rookie

Jul 11, 2011

Ive been using sturdy plastic green folders for as take home folders for the past few years. I tell parents this is to be used as our main source of communication, notes, money, homework, newsletters, school office papers, etc, all come and go in it. I empty them each morning and fill them each afternoon. I have heard of using 1 in. binders instead, with a special spot for certain things, like a zipper pencil case for money, a certain pocket for newsletters, a pocket for take home books, etc. What do you use and LOVE and how successful has it been? THANKS!

3. Mommyserenity

Mommyserenity Devotee

Jul 11, 2011

I use plastic folders and it worked really well last year. Both of my girls' also have used them all through elementary school so far too.

I label one side of the folder for "Return to School" and one side for "Keep at home". It helps parents know what needs to come back to me and what can stay at home etc....

4. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Jul 11, 2011

This is what I do. I know people who use binders but it just seems like too much for me. If they have lunch money they put it in a plastic bag with their name and put it in the return to school section.

There are teachers who love those binders but all I use them for is putting homework and maybe an important note here and there in the folder.

5. Mommyserenity

Mommyserenity Devotee

Jul 11, 2011

My oldest child had a binder this past year in 3rd and by the end of the year it was in shreds and made her book bag so heavy! I much preferred the folders and the binder really wasn't needed to be honest. Now next year in 4th, when she switches classes, I could see the binder being more useful. But for lower grades...I don't see it.

6. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 11, 2011

Google 'moose notebooks' for details on what you are describing. I've taught 2nd for 8 years and now third for two years...I think all of the pockets, zipper cases, etc are unnecessary. My kids have a home folder for homework which goes back and forth from school - home daily. On Fridays I send home all graded work, school notices in a Friday folder. Since parents know to look for that folder each Friday ( and they initial on a sign off sheet in the folder), I know they have seen their children's work, school forms aren't lost and are returned promptly, and generally kids don't end up with piles of papers in folders that no one at home ever looked at.:thumb:

7. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jul 11, 2011

I use the plastic folders and like them as well. I can't imagine the advantage of the binders over the folders as all you have to do is insert the papers into the folders, which my kids do themselves.

8. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Jul 11, 2011

Yes TamiJ. I know teachers spend tons of money on page protectors every year because they want everything in those. Those would never hold up in my room.

9. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 11, 2011

Many of my kiddos do not bring supplies, like folders, so here is what I do:

I buy a ton of the 2-pocket (no prong) folders in specific colors on sale, usually at walmart. I print the front with what I want the folder to be (my teacher resource center will do this on their industrial copier) - i.e., Homework, Conduct, etc. I laminate them, then cut the pockets with an exacto knife and reinforce them with packing tape. I know, it sounds like a lot, but they last a LOT longer, and it's actually cheaper than getting the pre-laminated or plastic folders.

My kiddos have a homework folder (packet) that goes home once per week, usually on Friday, and returns to me on Thursday. They also have a daily conduct folder that goes home Monday through Thursday. Last year, they also had an unfinished work folder in their desks.

Hmmm, that's all I can think of.... for now, lol

10. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jul 12, 2011

We use Right Back to School (right side of folder), Left at Home (left side of folder).

11. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jul 12, 2011

My kids buy their own as I have it on their supply list.

12. MMRbella

MMRbella Companion

Jul 29, 2011

I adapted this idea from Mrs. McDowell

http://www.mrsmcdowell.com/bee book.htm

My B.E.E. Books are always a hit! My supply order this year was only $150, so I had to pay for the BEE Book materials with my own money this year... I won't lie, it's expensive (I like to use view binders, so it cost me $50 for the binders alone). But it's worth it. It keeps the kids so organized!

Here's what I use:
    Binders: http://www.teacherdirect.com/cgi-bi...36214W+ACC&FNM=00&UREQA=N&GEN1=main&GEN0=0.00

Binder Pouches: http://store.schoolspecialtyonline.net/OA_HTML/ibeCCtpItmDspRte.jsp?minisite=10046&item=8031

Pocket Pages: http://store.schoolspecialtyonline.net/OA_HTML/ibeCCtpItmDspRte.jsp?minisite=10046&item=7967

Dividers: http://store.schoolspecialtyonline.net/OA_HTML/ibeCCtpItmDspRte.jsp?minisite=10046&item=8061

I also use colored paper (from school) and mailing labels (I purchased a big package a couple years ago). I do not use sheet protectors.

13. newteacher1st

newteacher1st Rookie

Jul 30, 2011

Plastic Folders

This year we used the plastic folders that have a sleeve on the front and back. It worked very well to label folders and to keep important papers protected all year.

14. jlj

jlj Devotee

Jul 30, 2011

I've used binders but found PK & kinder like to open & close them which concerned me, sometimes dropping them they would come open & then we spent time putting them back together, few parents checked them daily, some not at all.

Last year they had a folder for seat work, daily to/from folder & homework folder. They carried these in a small canvas bag, no backpacks allowed (no space for them). I liked this better than the binders. I think binders are better for the older students. JMO

1st grade tried the binders but then changed to the plastic envelopes. Easier to keep papers in.

15. Mrs. Mommy

Mrs. Mommy New Member

Jul 30, 2011

As a parent I feel that the folders should go home everyday. I have a specials needs child and loved to have a place I put the notes I sent in. Also, if the folders don't come home everyday I won't know when/if they get left at school or lost. I did check my child's bag everyday.