Take home Folders or sheets

Discussion in 'Special Education Archives' started by Giggles1100, Aug 7, 2006.

1. Giggles1100

Giggles1100 Comrade

Aug 7, 2006

Ok last question for tonight. I wanted to send home a note each day detailing what we did or behaviors I experienced, I have 4 HS Life skills students functioning at the pre-k-1st grade level. I am afraid I may not have anything to say some days and more to say other days but I wanted to do this so I can keep a record of events and progress of IEP goals etc as well as have parents informed. SHould I do this, do any of you have a good form I could snag? I also thought about maybe keeping a spiral notebook and sending that home instead, that way if nothing significant happens I can just skip that day and just tell parents to check it nightly and that at least once a week I will write in it. If nothing else I can recap the week on Friday if nothing major happened all week. What do you think?

3. jnation

jnation Companion

Aug 7, 2006

I have kids with emotional disabilities and I send home a form each day that they must get signed and return each morning. I basically just write if they have a good day or not and sometimes write some comments--both positive and negative. I tried writing in a notebook at the beginning of the year, and it just got to be too much. I do think sending a form home everyday helps the kids with responsibility and also encourages communication between parents.

4. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Aug 7, 2006

I have a hard time finding time to write notes home before the kids leave some days! I also have MAJOR translation issues in my classroom (with parents). Anyway, I had A REALLY REALLY REALLY picky eater (and in Pre-K the kids eat in the room) so I did do a simple boardmaker paper and then duplicated it (and cut it up). That simply said I ate then I circled, all, some, or none of my food today. I had him do it with me sometimes (it was picture and text). I would think something simple like this could be easier than something complex like writing a note to each student at the end of the day. I kinda let my parents know at the beginning of the year if anything major happens I will call them after school. They also know they can feel free to check up by calling before school starts for the kids. HTH

5. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Aug 7, 2006

Oh I am at my Dad's house so I can't check right now but there is this FANTASTIC company that makes various sheets, notes, checklists, etc the reason I say they are FANTASTIC is because it is ALL CARBON PAPER--- So all documentation is Pop in the file! I'll try to find them online and post if I do. If not I'll try to remember to post the company name when I get home.

6. Deb06

Deb06 Companion

Aug 7, 2006

I'm glad you asked that question. I was wondering the same thing myself. I like the idea of sending forms home on a daily basis. I believe communication with parents/guardians is extremely important!

7. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Aug 7, 2006

8. Giggles1100

Giggles1100 Comrade

Aug 7, 2006

Thanks for the links CHicago Turtle. Ithink with 4 kids It might be easier to get notes home a tleast on Fridays that is our easy day they watch movies so maybe a quick form during teh week and a note home on Fridays in a folder might work.

9. brett158

brett158 Companion

Aug 8, 2006

I send home the mini spiral notebooks each day. I can write to the parents about anything that has happened or homework that needs to be completed and they can also write back. I find it creates good communication between the parents and myself.

10. Giggles1100

Giggles1100 Comrade

Aug 8, 2006

See I was hoping parents would write notes back to me and tell me if one had a seizure teh night before or if they are not feeling well or had a bad morning and to use a certain removal of privilage etc.

11. RJN

RJN Rookie

Aug 9, 2006

Notebooks are great for communication and I use them with some of my parents. Another easy way to communicate and a way for your students to communicate with their parents, is to use a picture page. I use this with my lower level kids. Using Boardmaker, I put pictures of all the options for the day (work, computer, cooking, job, phys ed. and other electives, games.... anything they may do). I also put a line under the picture box. For some students they have to copy the word there, others just mark or circle the pictures for the day. I leave space at the bottom of the page for me to make a note if I need to. You can also include a space for the date, their name, whatever. I like it because this helps with conversation at home and it's something they can complete with little or no help at school.

12. JessCentral28

JessCentral28 Rookie

Aug 9, 2006

I use a take home folder system. I am either using 1/2 inch sturdy binders or durable plastic folders with the 3 hole brads in the middle. I just completed my daily form that I send each day with the children last night. If you want it, let me know and I can email it to you! It's easiest for me with a checklist format. There is a spot for Meds, Toileting documentation, but then there is Today I had a: Great Day, Typical, Rough, Sick, Sleepy (I'm paraphrasing)...Also "Today my job was:" And I check that off, "Today I parcipated in: Sensory Room, Art Room, Music Therapy etc." (Things beyond the normal classroom schedule.)
    Then there is a spot for my comments, parents comments, and ancillary staff comments. I added a spot in the corner of each comment section an initial box. This way, I can send this form home each day, and often when the parents do not have a need to write anything back, they can initial and I know that they saw the sheet and it goes in their child's file. I keep all of the paperwork. This was the method used in the SCI/AI room that I worked in last year and it is quick, easy and the parents enjoy the communication.

13. AspieTeacher

AspieTeacher Comrade

Aug 9, 2006

JessCentral

If you could send me a sample of your documentation for your students, that would be greatly appreciated. I would like to keep in touch with my parents at least once a week as well. I'm finally incorporating homework practice this year as well. You can send it to my email or private message me too.

Troy in Downey, Ca
    AspieTeacher

14. JessCentral28

JessCentral28 Rookie

Aug 9, 2006

Aspie I would love to- I tried pming you but it wouldn't let me...I don't think that I can put my email on here? If I can let me know and I will. Otherwise, if you have any other ideas let me know!

15. AspieTeacher

AspieTeacher Comrade

Aug 9, 2006

try again,

I know that other people can leave messages for me. I really would like to know what kind of record you use. I don't know why you can't send me a private message?

16. AspieTeacher

AspieTeacher Comrade

Aug 9, 2006

Jesscentral28,

I figured out the problem. I do not have AOL as a browser. I tried to send you a message directly through the email and it said I couldn't do it because I don't have AOL. Also, it says that you're not a member of any public forums. I don't know if this doesn't allow you to accept private messages.

Troy (AspieTeacher)

17. JessCentral28

JessCentral28 Rookie

Aug 9, 2006

Hi Troy- another user just pm'd me and I was able to email it to her. Hopefully we can figure out a way...
    Sorry!!

18. AspieTeacher

AspieTeacher Comrade

Aug 9, 2006

Jess

I just sent an private message,

Send me a reply when you get it.

Troy

19. Giggles1100

Giggles1100 Comrade

Aug 9, 2006

RJN I love the board maker idea to use in addition to a folder, I think that would work well with my IEP's. Jess I would love to have a copy of your sheet also, just PM me and I will send oyu myt e-mail if you cannot get to it throughthe board.

20. JessCentral28

JessCentral28 Rookie

Aug 9, 2006

Hi there- I have emailed it to those of you have pm'd me- hope you can use it or adapt it to your own use!

On another note- I REALLY like the MOOSE book ideas that are also on this board...My Daily Take Home Folder is a lot on the lines of those binders...

A zipper pouch for money/permission slips etc.
    A "Read and Return" spot
    A "Keep at Home" spot
    And then a few plastic sleeves with the classroom calendar, weekly classroom newsletter, lunch menu, etc. (aka important stuff to refer to)

I have a small period of time in the morning that is set aside to check books and then at the end of the day...

21. Giggles1100

Giggles1100 Comrade

Aug 9, 2006

Where is teh moose book idea, I like that too but my kids are HS and I was told parents do not check their kids work very often, so sad.