Take Home Folders/Binders

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by woobie5, May 13, 2009.

1. woobie5

woobie5 Comrade

May 13, 2009

When do you send home folders ... every day or once a week?

Do any of you use binders? I was just think they would hold up better throughout the year ... however, they might be too expensive. Thoughts?

3. dolphinswim

dolphinswim Companion

May 13, 2009

I use a folder that I laminate...and I send them home everyday with a weekly progress report letting parents know what we are doing that week. I also have a reading log for the month they write books they read at home on. It is my communication folder and if it does not come to school I call home to let parents know how important it is to send it each and every day.

4. fun2tchk

fun2tchk Rookie

May 13, 2009

My kids are given a folder in September. They never last or they are lost. Most kids just throw the papers in their bags, even though we go over how to use the folders a million times. Next year I am going to start using B.E.A.R binders. I'll be able to have a folder in their for work, loose paper for parent communication, a place for money, reading log, abc & number charts, sight words etc. So far I was able to get 1 local store to donate paper, labels and page protectors. I am hoping to find another store to donate binders or sell them cheaper. If you google bear binders or moose binders you will get a TON of really good info.

5. woobie5

woobie5 Comrade

May 13, 2009

Thanks! Yes, I stumbled across one called B.E.E Binders (Bring Everything Everyday) which I thought my kindergartners might be able to grasp better.

6. janney

janney Cohort

May 13, 2009

I'm also looking to move to binders next year. I've gone through 4 sets of laminated folders this year, so I think it will be cheaper in the long run to use a binder. I send their folders home everyday right now and will do the same with the binders.

7. Kindergarten31

Kindergarten31 Cohort

May 14, 2009

I ask the parents to send in 3 plastic red folders at the beginning of the year. I use a sharpie to write the child's name on each and use them for a few months, throw them all out and give them a new one, and then use the last one for the last few months. The plastic ones hold up very well. I always pick up a few extra ones when all the sales are on before school starts and this has seemed to work out very well.

8. ecsmom

ecsmom Habitué

May 14, 2009

I have had pretty good luck with my laminated folders this year.
    I have only replaced a couple. I only paid a dime each for them at Wal-Mart so I can't complain. I send them home every day with a behavior report and whatever notes or papers are in their mailboxes. Parents send them back with notes, lunch money, ect.

9. forkids

forkids Cohort

May 15, 2009

I send folders home daily because I think it is an important part of teaching young students responsibility. They are responsible for keeping up with the folders, giving them to parents, and bringing back to school each day. Putting their folders in the morning basket and packing them in their backpack in the afternoon is a part of their daily routine. My four and five year olds take this responsibility seriously - you should see how concerned they are if their folder is missing!

10. Kindergarten31

Kindergarten31 Cohort

May 15, 2009

We use the same routine, forkids. It also shows me the responsible ADULTS. Some children are more responsible about their folders than their parents.

11. MissMaurie

MissMaurie Companion

May 15, 2009

We send home folders daily because we use a daily behavior chart that must be signed. I buy the plastic folders with brads from Wal-Mart that cost around 88 cents. They have lasted the entire year. I do P.O.N.Y folders and use sheet protectors for the different things in their folders. I used to use binders, but they never held up. Plus they are too bulky for me to carry around if needed. I can throw their folders in a tub and take them to library, computer, etc. if I need to write things in them.

12. woobie5

woobie5 Comrade

May 15, 2009

OOoooo ... good point on the binders being bulky! You just sold me on the folders! THANK YOU!

13. vannapk

vannapk Groupie

May 16, 2009

I use BEAR books, here is a link to my BEAR book page that has pictures and explains how it works. I never had a problem with the binders being too bulky. I explained to the parents at our orientation before school that their child would be bringing home a BEAR book each night. I showed it to them and told them it needed to fit in their child's backpack. I never had any problems at all. The binders held up well every year and went home every night. I also explained up front that if lost the parents had to pay a $5 replacement fee, I only had 2 lost in 7 years. Our school provided the binders to us via Title 1 funds.

14. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

May 16, 2009

I use folders that are sent home daily. I used to laminate them, but it was a ton of work every August laminating them and trimming the laminate. I did have to replace several throughout the year. It wasn't bad because they were so cheap. But this year I went to the vinyl folders. I got them really cheap at a Staples back-to-school sale. I haven't had to replace any and we're almost to the end of the year.

At the beginning of each month I use rubber cement to attach a calendar to the front. It shows what is going on each day (special classes, field trips, student birthdays, vacations, etc.) and I also use that as a behavior log, adding a sticker or note at the end of each day for each student.

My weekly newsletter, papers from the office, and all completed student work go home in the folder and it is returned daily. I like that I can check the folders for lunch money, notes from parents, etc. and not have to rely on students digging things out of their backpacks. The first thing they do every morning is give me their folder.

I have thought of moving to the binders before, but the folders really do work fine for me so I've decided against it.

15. Kindtchr

Kindtchr Comrade

Jun 5, 2009

B.E.A.R. folders

I agree that the vinyl folders with brads (to hold sheet protectors with information) hold up well and are not bulky. My students take them out of their backpacks each morning and put them into their mailboxes (paper organizer shelves with names in ABC order by first names). As part of our dismissal procedures, each child packs his/her folder back into his/her backpack to take home.:)

I love the zipper pouches so I can see at a glance if someone has money or notes. I am working on mine for next year. When my future students came for a visit I had them choose a color vinyl folder as well as a colored zipper pouch. The students will find their finished B.E.A.R. folders when they come to school to become acquainted with our classroom (small groups for 30 min.) the day before school starts.

During the first day of school I take a picture of each child holding his/her B.E.A.R. folder. I put it on the cover with clear contact paper. Students seem to take better care of the folders with their pictures on them.

I stock up on the vinyl folders and zipper pouches during the back to school sales. I have found the best prices at Wal-Mart.

Good luck! I think you will enjoy using them.:up:

16. mom2sands

mom2sands Comrade

Jun 7, 2009

I made the BEAR folders this year. One student lost theirs, but all the others have lasted. I didn't do it exactly as hers, but I used a flexible plastic pronged for the outside, a zipper pouch, a paper pronged in the middle and notebook paper. I had to punch holes in the paper pronged folders. They were great and I think I'll do the same again next year. I bought everything at Walmart. It wasn't too terribly expensive, but I feel that it was worth the expense. Mine went home daily and we had a cart with individual drawers. After about a week, students knew exactly what to do with theirs each day.