Take Home Bags

Discussion in 'Second Grade' started by map, Aug 17, 2007.

1. map

map Companion

Aug 17, 2007

Does anyone send home Take Home Activity bags with the students? I
    will be teaching 2nd grade and was planning on making several Math and Reading bags to go along with the curriculum. For example: I would like to make a M &M bag to go along with the M&M book, Skittles bag, money back, telling time, Arthur Bag, Plant Bag. Each bag would contain activities to go along with the book when possible. The bag would also include a skills like short/long vowels, comprehension, or sight word review. A typical bag would have 2-3 books and 3-4 activities to complete. Do they enjoy this type of activity at home or is it more appropriate for K-1.

3. gab

gab Comrade

Aug 17, 2007

I don't do this but I think it's a good idea. Our Title program has take home for students who qualify for their Rdg program. Would this be in addition to homework? I think more would enjoy it than not at the second grade level.

4. mommaruthie

mommaruthie Aficionado

Aug 17, 2007

Lakeshore does this and its in a backpack.
    AA660X for primary
    AA4000X

It also comes in Spanish
    AA950X

5. Pattie

Pattie Companion

Aug 19, 2007

I have bags my kids get to take home sounding exactly like your ideas. My kids absolutely love them. The hard part is they fight over the really good ones. I have a skeleton bag and a rainforest bag they fight over. I got the "bags" themselves from the dealers at the teacher conventions like Reading associations or state math conventions. They will give out freebies galore there. Start with several literature books on the topic and then find puzzles, flashcards on the theme, watercolor paints and color book pages w/theme to go, magnetic games on theme, cut and paste, wordsearch, crosswords, you get the idea. Hardest part is getting them back on time. I give them out on Wednesday and they must be back Monday. That gives me 2 extra days to get them all back. But sometimes it takes till Friday. I have 14 in all now but I started with only 2 a few years back. Parents will also help fill your bags if you send out a wish list. Good luck! :wub:

6. map

map Companion

Aug 19, 2007

Thanks for all the great ideas. I love the rainforest and skeleton bag ideas.