Take home bags or backpacks.

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by sparklystar, May 10, 2009.

1. sparklystar

sparklystar Rookie

May 10, 2009

Hello guys.....

I was wondering do you guys think that its too much to do a take home backpack home for pre-k's? next year it will be my 2nd year team teaching and i want my class to be more exciting. i want to do a class mascot like a raccoon(after reading the kissing hand) or a bear(after reading courdoroy)? how can i do that? what be included in the parent letter?? or what can i do with take home bags? any ideas or activities will help.
    :thanks:

3. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

May 10, 2009

Your class looks so cute in your pix!!!

I think they look like they have fun already.

I have seen other classes that send a stuffed "pet" home w/a journal, the family lets the pet do things with them and then fills out the journal.

Is that the stuff that you are looking for?

4. paige407

paige407 Rookie

May 11, 2009

I was wondering the same thing, as far as the mascot goes. We have a little stuffed animal named the Leonard the Lion. When it is a child's week as star student, he/she takes Leonard and his journal home for the weekend. They write about their adventures and add pictures. It is funny to see how it starts out pretty simple, but then the entries get more extravagant was we go along!! The kids adore taking Leonard home ~ he has been to church, the zoo, bowling, on field trips, time-out (got into the Easter baskets once). Some families even give him the spa treatment as he does look a little worse for the wear around mid-year. They love him! Hope that is what you were looking for..if not, sorry!

5. vannapk

vannapk Groupie

May 13, 2009

Here is the link to my take-home bag page on my website. There is a printable note to parents there that I sent home in every bag as well as pictures of many different bags and descriptions of the contents. Everybody's favorite was the "David" bag w/the stuffed character from No David, books, cassette, and a response journal. Lots of fun for kids and parents!

6. sparklystar

sparklystar Rookie

May 13, 2009

awwww thank you sssoooo much i love them.. they are leaving us next year :( but yes thats the type of things im looking for

7. sparklystar

sparklystar Rookie

May 13, 2009

i lllloove this idea.... i like the spa treatment n the time-out is so funny:lol:

8. tgi1515

tgi1515 Comrade

May 24, 2009

I used the pre-kpages.com ideas along with some other great websites. The only thing I caution is to wait until school is off to a great start and you can determine how much control you need to have. For several years I had no problems but then last year I had where every bag I sent was damaged or destroyed in some way and I stopped. :( I didn't even do it this year I was so bummed. I have a new great teacher's aide now (FINALLY... yea!! :wub: ) and I'll try again next year.

9. teacherruthie

teacherruthie New Member

May 24, 2009

It is interesting that I found this post right off. I'm new here but not to teaching and came looking for ideas of what to use for a class mascot next year. The class theme has been frogs, but next year it will be "under construction" but I do not want to use Bob the Builder since we paln to include all types of construction including art, etc. Before the frog I used a teddy, and may do that again.

As for sending him home, I have a Star of the Week and that child takes home the class mascot. When I send home the reminder for Star of the Week photos, I also remind the parents that the mascot will come home on Friday. He goes home in a backpack with a journal. That's all.

Separately I send home At Home Reading. This is a book and a journal in a simple cloth bag. Each child has a bag and a journal and the books rotate so that they get a different one each week. I do not include all the games, etc. that are in a literacy bag. I have lost too much over the years to put that much work into it. The books are garage sale finds, so if I lose one, it is no big deal. But until the book, bag and journal are all returned, the child does not take another one.

If anyone wants to know how I keep track of the books, I'd be glad to explain. Otherwise I won't bore you. ;^)

10. sparklystar

sparklystar Rookie

May 26, 2009

how do you keep track of all the books?