Take First Job Offer?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by frostbittenkiss, Apr 25, 2008.

1. frostbittenkiss

frostbittenkiss Rookie

Apr 25, 2008

-delete-

-delete-

3. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Apr 25, 2008

Ugh, I'm sorry you're being pressured. It's a rotten feeling to juggle "shoulds." My friend used to say, "Don't should all over yourself!" Ha. Her point was, I needed to stay true to myself.

Would your family have to move house to go to this small town?

4. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Apr 25, 2008

Could you let them know that you have interviews lined up for next week and would like to go on them since they are already scheduled, and that you will let them know something by the end of next week?

5. curious

curious Companion

Apr 25, 2008

I'd do as Smalltowngal recommends. This way the school knows you're interested but need a few more days to decide. Don't be pressured by your family into accepting a second-choice job when you have two more interviews lined up elsewhere.

Good luck with the interviews next week!

6. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Apr 25, 2008

Oh, I missed the line about having two interviews next week. Definitely tell them you want to keep your commitments to other schools where you've scheduled interviews, so you'll need a week.

7. glenn

glenn Rookie

Apr 25, 2008

I would not let you family pressure you. After all you are the one who has to go to this school everyday and teach. I would stall the school since you have other interviews lined up. Not sure how far you are willing to relocate but that certainly play in your favor. Also the fact it is only April plays in your favor.

8. Grace

Grace Companion

Apr 25, 2008

Don't let anyone pressure you into accepting a job if you're not ready. I would let the school know about the upcoming interviews, and if they aren't flexible then I would turn down the job. (But that's just me!!) I wouldn't want to work with someone who didn't have my best interests in mind. Do whatever feels right for you.

9. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Apr 25, 2008

I agree with STG, and the others

10. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Apr 25, 2008

I agree with everyone. Attend those 2 interviews, KICK BUTT, and hope you get in :) I think the smaller district will understand.

Good luck!

11. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Apr 25, 2008

If you have a bad/strange feeling about it, you shouldn't feel too bad about not accepting the position.

12. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Apr 25, 2008

Your instincts are giving you plenty of warning, here. I think you'll regret taking this job.

13. Lives4Math

Lives4Math Comrade

Apr 25, 2008

I'm with the others...Go with your instinct!

14. MissWull

MissWull Cohort

Apr 25, 2008

I would say the same as everyone else here! So with that said, good luck with your other interviews!! Let us know how they go! :)

15. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Apr 25, 2008

Trust your gut. I wouldn't take that job. The HR dept of one district gave me an eerie feeling as well. Turns out they have a bad reputation.

Grace made a good point. You don't want to work in a district that does not have your best interests in mind.

16. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Apr 26, 2008

You can't take a job without knowing if there is housing. Call back on Monday and say you are still checking on housing and you still need more time. If they won't give you more time to find a place to live you probably don't want to work there anyway. Why all the pressure? It's still early in the interview season.

17. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Apr 27, 2008

They probably know that teachers are hard to come by in that school--- so they may think you're a new teacher, you'll want to take it before you're offered anything better. If you're getting odd vibes, I would suggest you NOT take it.

You could write a list about what you LIKE about the school and compare it to what you DO NOT LIKE. See how it turns out.

With teaching, a job isn't just a job... it's a group of teachers and students working together and unless you can actually see yourself at that school, I would say avoid it. And pray and hope for bigger and better things to come :)