Take down anchor charts during regular tests?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by shoreline02, Feb 10, 2017.

1. shoreline02

shoreline02 Cohort

Feb 10, 2017

Do you take down any anchor charts during your regular tests (not state-mandated testing)?

I teach science and many times I have pictures and diagrams on my anchor charts about what we are learning, just curious!

3. miss-m

miss-m Devotee

Feb 10, 2017

I leave mine up, partly because I don't mind the kids using them as a reminder (a lot of my kids forget the anchor charts are there to help them unfortunately), and partly because it's just a pain to take them down more often than necessary.

4. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Feb 10, 2017

I take them down (I don't do a ton, anyways, at least that stay up), unless it truly doesn't affect them showing their current level of success. For example, I had definitions/pictures of geometric terms up recently, but took those down because this assessment was showing me how well they knew those terms and the ability to measure angles.

5. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Feb 10, 2017

I leave them up. My literacy charts wouldn't help them directly. For example, I have a chart that shows ways you can compare and contrast characters, but if I asked them to do that for specific characters from a specific passage, the chart might remind them to look for certain characteristics, but it wouldn't answer the question for them. The same is true of my writing charts. For math, yes, there are examples of ways to solve problems, but by test time, usually the errors are calculation errors not process errors, so the chart wouldn't help there either.

6. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Feb 10, 2017

I don't have many anchor charts, because I just don't have much room, but anything up on the wall is fair game. Sometimes we'll have words up somewhere for a spelling or vocab test (not all of them, but say one of the vocab words is "compare" and it's up on the wall). I tell kids if it's there then they're welcome to use their resources, but if it becomes a distraction then that makes it a problem.

7. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Feb 11, 2017

I leave them up. I tell my kids it's all about using their resources.

8. mrsammieb

mrsammieb Devotee

Feb 11, 2017

I leave mine up. I want them to visualize the chart and see it in their brain! If they are smart enough to use it as a reference then good for them!

vickilyn likes this.