Take a number?

Discussion in 'New Teachers Archives' started by fifthmonkee, Nov 15, 2006.

1. fifthmonkee

fifthmonkee Rookie

Nov 15, 2006

I'm sorry to pepper this forum with questions, but here's one more.

When I am helping students during classwork time, other students inevitably interrupt me with their own questions/complaints/needs. Somehow they seem to think I'm not "working" if I'm not lecturing. Anyhow, it can be quite maddening, and I'm afraid I lose my temper at times or at least show annoyance. "Do you see I'm talking to someone?" I'll ask with an edge in my voice.

Sometimes I've got so many students around me that I can't keep track of who asked what in what order. When I move from one to the other, I get complaints that "you said I was next!"

As I've indicated in other posts, this is my first year with a difficult group of students and I am struggling with classroom management.

I'm almost ready to bring in a deli-style number thing, and have students take a number during classwork time, so I can get back to them in some kind of orderly and reasonable fashion. I'm only half-joking.

Any advice?

3. ABall

ABall Fanatic

Nov 15, 2006

I saw this posted here by some one:

make a few discovery bottles (cleaned out water bottles with clear karo syrup and little things like plastic dolphins, glitter, blue food color glue on lid : or sand with little shells glue on lid) put a few in a basket next to your desk have the students take one if they need help, once they are all gone the students need to wait until one is returned (have about 3-4) but the students can be looking at them while they have to wait for your help.

4. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Nov 15, 2006

During my math time, students put their name on the board if they need a conference, help, or something assigned through our math program. I make sure they always have work in their folder, and they know that once they have signed up, I will get to them, in order. They are to go on and work on the next problem. I don't go to them, they come to me. Did that happen over night-No Way! But with repitition, they got it. And it is taboo to come to my desk when I am meeting with someone. I also have a sign posted that says "Waiting for Help?" There are things to do while waiting (use our learning cards, ask a peer helper, use the textbook, practice flashcards, read a book) At the beginning of the year, if they interrupt, I take the time to explain (again) the sign up procedure, later I just point to the board, and by now I can just give them "the look" and that solves it. Don't give up-practice and repitition make perfect.

5. ellen_a

ellen_a Groupie

Nov 15, 2006

I'd do that.
    Seriously.

6. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Nov 15, 2006

When I taught second grade, I used numbers. If I was busy with one child, the next one would take a number and then return to his/her seat to continue working on something else. Then I would call the next number when I was finished helping the previous child.

It worked really well!!! Go for it!

7. english9teach

english9teach Rookie

Nov 16, 2006

This is something that works a little better for older kids who say taking a number is "kiddy". I bought an extra white board and put it on the wall. Students sign up for whatever they need: computer use, bathroom, questions, etc.