Tailgaters!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out Archives' started by Master Pre-K, Jul 18, 2007.

1. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jul 18, 2007

Hello All,

Time for another midnight rant!

How many of you secretly want to do devious things to TAILGATORS!

No, not those goofy people who like to eat polish sausages and drink beer at football games!

I mean those irresponsible creeps who constantly creep up behind you at a red light.:mad:

What is there problem!???! Did the notion of hitting me ever occur to you? Do you think if you get any closer, you could just climb over me, and somehow not be sitting at the red light!

You are so d*** close, you can't even read my bumper sticker that says, "You are too d*** close!" (no I don't have one...new car! but I should!!!)

So, here we go...

If you were any closer, we would be dancing! "When I move, you move...just like that??"

If you were any closer, you would be in my lap!

If you were any closer, you might as well bring some pizza and a video!

If you were any closer, you should just bring some Ben & Jerry's....and just one spoon!

If you were any closer, I would probably think you were my ex!

If you were any closer, I would ask what color is your underwear! :eek:

If you were any closer, you would see the finger I am holding up in my rear view!

If you were any closer, I'd be rubbing Preparation H on the hood of your car!

If you were any closer, I'd wonder if you were following me home!

If you were any closer, I would pop my trunk and let all my homework pages fly in your face!

If you were any closer, I would throw my shirt out the window, just to see if you would come closer!!!

Isn't there a law against this madness???

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 18, 2007

There is a law against following too closely.

Usually I switch lanes (if possible), or just sloooooow down so that they either turn off or go around me. I don't let it bug me too much, though. I'm more worried about speeders and people on their cell phones!

4. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 18, 2007

Too funny, Master Pre-K. I changed you title to be spelled with an 'e' - tailgaters. Tailgators would be crazy folks from the Univ of Florida.

5. Edelweiss

Edelweiss Rookie

Jul 18, 2007

I don't "secretly" want to do anything...it's no secret at all among those who know me that I'd slam on my brakes and sue tailgaters if I weren't afraid of the consequences. (Namely, I'm terrified of my airbag, and my insurance company would probably find me "at fault" for the "accident!")

6. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Jul 18, 2007

I saw it with the O and was wondering if it was something to do with a school mascot LOL :D
    I also hate people who see for 2 miles that they need to get over (especially when the construction has been there for 6 months). They then want to get over at the last minute, in front of everyone else who got over when they were supposed to. I usually try not to let them get over if I can.

7. GatorGal

GatorGal Cohort

Jul 18, 2007

Heeeeyyy...:angel:

8. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Jul 18, 2007

What makes me even madder than tailgaters are the people who don't know how to make a turn without STOPPING first!!!!!!!!! For god's sakes people TURN!!!!!!!!! Then the ones that take FOREVER to get going when the red light turns green. Just DRIVE PEOPLE, DRIVE! They Slooowly start out at 2 mph and finally 5, then 15, 25mph, and I AM definitely one trying to go over the top of them!!!!

9. jenngugs

jenngugs Companion

Jul 18, 2007

Me too! I guess all of our patience is used up in the classroom ;)

10. Teacher 218

Teacher 218 Rookie

Jul 18, 2007

I live within the boundaries of the high school where I teach, and I've had three 'almost' collisions with my students out in the community - not on campus. Any one else? And of course it was their fault, not mine. One was when I was waiting in line at an ATM and the girl in front of me was ready to leave but put her car in reverse instead of drive. Who knew I could hit my horn so hard and so fast?

11. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 18, 2007

I knew that'd get you, GatorGal!

12. wdwteach

wdwteach Cohort

Jul 18, 2007

13. Teacher 218

Teacher 218 Rookie

Jul 18, 2007

How about something that shot 'stupid stickers' on the car? Bright orange and non removable. But only smart drivers could have them to stick on the stupid cars. We know who is who.

14. wdwteach

wdwteach Cohort

Jul 18, 2007

Perfect. I also want a light up sign that will tell them what I am saying as I say it.

15. GatorGal

GatorGal Cohort

Jul 18, 2007

Speaking of annoying drivers...
    Yesterday I was sitting in my car (turned off) in a Best Buy parking lot talking on my cell phone after I was done shopping. Some guy pulled into the spot to the right of my car, and slammed open his door right into mine! Grrrr. Luckily, there was no damage.

I just don't get it. I'm very respectful of other people's property! :rolleyes:

16. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jul 19, 2007

Oh, I'm sure they will be here soon upsadaisy!!

17. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jul 19, 2007

sorry, it was late...and upsadaisy said she changed me!

ooh, that didn't come out right!! :D

18. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jul 19, 2007

That's my commuting song,

DRIVE PEOPLE DRIVE!!!!

UGH, WHAT...WHAT ARE YOU LOOKING FOR (left, right, left again)
    just drive!

I must be honey, 'cause I got bees all over me! tailgaters!!! And you must be molassess! I can't get around you!

DRIVE already!!!

19. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jul 19, 2007

20. Go 4th

Go 4th Habitué

Jul 19, 2007

Master--I once dated a guy who got out of his car at a red light and told the people behind him "I hope I wiped really well, since you have your nose up my a**."
    He needed some serious anger management.

21. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jul 19, 2007

hmmm, but did you take notes???

He really put that guy in check, IMO!

but then, it is 1:41 am....;)

22. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Jul 19, 2007

Nothing against "senior" drivers, as I am practically one myself, but pleaaaaaase keep in mind that the rest of the world is trying to GET TO WORK ON TIME!!!!!!! 15 mph. on your way to get the morning paper is holding up the rest of us who have to drop off our kids at school and get to work in 30 seconds flat!!!!!!!

23. MollyT

MollyT Companion

Jul 19, 2007

I once tapped my breaks when I had a tailgater - my car stopped and they ran into the back of me.

The accident was reported and HIS insurance paid up,

BUT

The police issued me a ticket ($100) and I lost 3 points on my licence (Lose 10 and you lose your licence for 3 months).

I tried to argue that the other vehicle was following too close - but the cops said I caused the accident because I breaked to warn them off. I shoulda lied and said I breaked because of an animal - but I couldnt bring myself to lie.

Needless to say, I wont try that again - its not worth it!

24. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jul 19, 2007

so what the h*ll are we supposed to do???!!!

I usually weave really fast into the next lane...and they don't know to do!

then...I quickly weave back, and get behind them!!! :p

I need food..this is too much for me!!

25. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jul 19, 2007

Wow, that sucks!!!! Start lying...like a rug!

In Illinois, we just get tickets, pay thru the nose...take a class and get back out there! Traffic School, keeps you from getting ticket on your record. You can only go to traffic school once in six months. Too many tickets will cause your license to be suspended. After that, it will be revoked! :eek: Special allowances are for driving to and from work only. Certain offenses will cause automatic suspension!

which brings up another topic, do most states/countries only make you take your driver's test again when you had a ticket? Or turn 65?? You take it once at 16, and maybe every 4-6 years, or not at all if you haven't had a ticket?

How do you feel about that??

26. MollyT

MollyT Companion

Jul 19, 2007

About the points:

Firstly, I live in Western Australia.

Secondly, I think its 12 points.

For each infringement, you also get certain amount of demerit points, depending on the severity of the infringement.

When you get 12 demerit points, you lose your licence for (i think) 6 months -or 3 months (has never happened to me so not exactly sure).

Demerit points expire after 5 years (again, don't quote me, could be 3 years). So if you keep your nose clean you can get back to 0.

I hope this makes sense - if not, it's probably my Aussie accent - hehehe.

27. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jul 19, 2007

and...California is notorious for having illegal aliens driving around town! They can't get licenses, because they aren't citizens! they don't care!

They can't drive, nor can they speak English!

sigh! :(

that's how the governor Davis, got booted out of office! he wanted to give illegal aliens a license! Why? He figured it was safer!:confused:

So now, you got The Terminator as governor! (Ahhhnold) Arnold Schwarzzenager!! (sp!)

oh, that's better!

28. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 19, 2007

From the looks of the roads in Florida, I think the re-test is at age 90. Seriously, we have lots of folks who cannot see over the steering wheels.

29. GardenDove

GardenDove Habitué

Jul 19, 2007

What I do with tailgaters is to slow down a bit. I just get the urge to slow down. If someone tailgates me while I'm in the left lane passing another car, I slow down and pass very slowly, so as to teach the tailgater that tailgating me will not accomplish their goal of going faster, but will thwart it. If they back off, then I'll speed up a bit.

30. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jul 19, 2007

yes Garden, I know this is the sensible solution..

thanks! :)

31. GatorGal

GatorGal Cohort

Jul 19, 2007

This is so true!!

32. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 19, 2007

Crazy, crazy, crazy place we live in....

33. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Jul 19, 2007

That is one way to have someone "teach" you a lesson - by pulling out a gun and shooting it at you! :( Your kind of driving behavior will absolutely infuriate a driver who has a bad case of road rage.

It's really not worth you health or safety to take it upon yourself to "teach" anybody anything out on the road. Get out of their way and keep yourself safe and alive.

It's not your place to police the roads. There are too many crazy people out there - and you have no idea who will take revenge on you for your little "lesson" on how to drive.

34. GardenDove

GardenDove Habitué

Jul 19, 2007

I'm not trying to police the roads, don't worry so much. My slowing down is not extreme. Don't be so perturbed. I thought my response was much more moderate than some of the proposals I read here.

35. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Jul 19, 2007

Still - very dangerous for yourself and other innocent drivers out on the road.

36. GardenDove

GardenDove Habitué

Jul 19, 2007

No it's not. I don't do anything dangerous. You are reacting emotionally. The dangerous ones are the tailgaters, whom I don't at all mind having them pass me if it pleases them.

37. Mamacita

Mamacita Aficionado

Jul 20, 2007

Is is a freeway whine session? I'll play.

1. Drivers who swing way out into the other lane when they turn.
    2. People who don't use their turn signals.
    3. People who throw litter out the window.
    4. Smokers <strike> in general </strike> who throw still-glowing butts out the window.
    5. People who talk on their cell phone while driving.
    6. People who don't put their small children in carseats, and go so far as to let the kid STAND UP in the car!
    7. People who practically give themselves a sponge bath while driving. For heaven's sake, get up a half hour earlier to do your hair and makeup, or shave! Idiot.
    8. People who go when it's not their turn, at a four-way stop.
    9. Morons who dive from lane to lane. I love catching up with them at the stop light. Yeah, they're getting there faster, right.
    10. How about those people who go through the drive-through at a restaurant with a SPECIAL ORDER that will take longer!!!!!! The drive-through is for speed, you inconsiderate boor! And if you want a burger with lettuce and mayonnaise only, go to Wendy's or someplace you can order from a menu, INSIDE. I could rant for hours about inconsiderate people at fast-food restaurants. Sheesh.
    11. Too slow.
    12. Too fast.
    13. People who park in the handicap spot because they're just running in for a second.
    14. People who don't stick to the actual driving lanes in a parking lot. Look out, incoming!
    15. People who are so busy talking that they don't see the light turn green.
    16. People who double-park.
    17. People who tailgate big trucks, or whip in front of them. Don't they understand that a big truck can't stop on a dime? Keep your distance!!!!
    18. People who disregard the oncoming train signals.
    19. Parents who speed in school zones.
    20. Etc.

38. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jul 20, 2007

My Dad mowed over a mailbox when he was 80! We took the car then!

Thank goodness he didn't get closer!

39. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jul 20, 2007

I think those people are more aggravated if you don't move out of their way, or start tailgating them! Yes, I have done both..and I certainly see your point.

But what else can you do??

40. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jul 20, 2007

What would you suggest???

41. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Jul 20, 2007

What do you all think about drivers who sit incessantly in your blind spot? I know it seems comfy and safe to have the surroundings remain the same, but it is actually not at all safe to sit there hiding in that spot. I use the Top Gun remedy (hit the brakes and they'll fly right by), or continuously slow down until they wake up and realize they're going 45 for no reason except that I am.