Taecher Assistant or subbing

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by koop, Aug 12, 2007.

1. koop

koop Rookie

Aug 12, 2007

I have an interview for a teacher assistant position on Wednesday, but am unsure because I have heard that once you are a teacher assistant schools don't want to hire you. Has anyone had this experience before? My only other option at this point is to contiue subbing for the three school districts that I have been subbing for for the last two years and getting nowhere with. The only good thing about getting the teacher assistant position is that my college will allow me to do my practicuum in thsi position. If I get offered the position it would be very hard not to accept it because their are no other great alternatives for me. Does anyone know what types of interview questions they ask for this position? I want to do well because after all it is one of the districts I ma currently subbing in. It is the one I was recently hired to work in ( April) verus the other two that if I worked for again would be three years subbing in. :down: Getting a job is so difficult and I envy anyone who has gotten one. they are so lucky. I would give anything to ahve my own classroom at this point.

3. koop

koop Rookie

Aug 12, 2007

Sorry about my typing errors.

4. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Aug 12, 2007

I would take it, at least for the upcoming year. If you don't like it you can always go back to subbing

5. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Aug 12, 2007

I worked as an interpreter/assistant. That staff had a hard time seeing me as anything but an assistant.

Some principals think, "if teaching is what they really want, then why are they assisting?"

So my advice is to sub. You get to meet lots of principals and staff, and you can see what schools you really like.

6. teresaglass

teresaglass Groupie

Aug 12, 2007

I would take the assistant job. the principalk will be familiar with your skills. See if this district has any career path for assitants to become teachers. Also you will be able to do your practicum and they might hire you after that. Sometimes subs are not always hired either. If you are an assitant the following year then you can go back to subbing. Also you will have classroom expereince at a permanent job.

7. patti2

patti2 Cohort

Aug 12, 2007

A lot of people in my district are TA's first-if you take it get to know as many teachers as you can because THEY can put in a good word for you with the principal! I did TA and subbing to get in! I agree, it STINKS to not have your own room. I was in that boat for SOOOOO long. Hang in there...you just need some connections!

8. Windy City

Windy City Companion

Aug 13, 2007

I agree wtih patti2. I got my teaching job because I was a TA and worked so hard at it. My principal giving me such a strong recommendation was the reason that I got the job in such a competative market.

I think the key was making it clear from the start that I was a fully certified teacher and I intended on getting a librarian job once my media endorsement was complete. I was treated as if I was one of "them". It also helped that the school only had two TA's, so there really wasn't a division of power/status.

The application that I had to fill out was the same as teachers (including all of the essay questions... I think there were nearly 10) and a lot of the questions during the interview were similiar to those I had for teaching positions.

Basically, the bar has been raised around here for TA's because so many teachers are having to do it while they look for jobs, then that's the only people the principals want to hire for the TA jobs. I actually had a principal say that they really only want to hire certified teachers for TA jobs! Yeah, because certified teachers really enjoy working for $14/hour. But it's a foot in the door...

9. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Aug 13, 2007

10. MarshNConsMom

MarshNConsMom Rookie

Aug 13, 2007

I hope that's the case here. I've been at home for over 6 years and just want to get my feet wet. I can't sub because I need stable child care for my son. I don't want to pay child care for a week and only work one day or so. It'd be nice if I had family to watch him after he gets out of preschool.

Hopefully being a TA will help me get to know my district a little better. Now I just need to go introduce myself, because emails are definitely not making them call me. There are 30 positions posted on my district's website!