Tadpoles in the Classroom?!?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by linzteach, Jul 10, 2005.

1. linzteach

linzteach Rookie

Jul 10, 2005

I was hoping to have a class pet this year, but because I am allergic to pretty much anything with fur, I started thinking about tadpoles?!?! I thought that if I purchased tadpoles (which I'm assuming you can get at any local pet store) we could watch them change into frogs. I thought the kids would find it interesting (I will have a fourth/fifth split) and I could also tie it into a science unit. Has anyone ever done this? How did the kids respond? How much work was it? Any insight or comments would be appreciated! Thanks!

Lindsay

3. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 10, 2005

I did with my 3rd grade a few years ago. They loved it. The only work involved was cleaning the water, kinda yucky. We kept an observation log and every day a different student had to record in it. It was a good project.

4. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Jul 10, 2005

Just be sure you are really careful about the species of tadpoles that you raise. If they are not native in your area you need to keep them in the classroom and not release them. It's not a lot of problems having the tadpoles in the room. If your or the kids have access, you can just bring in tadpoles from a nearby pond, etc. The best kind...native and FREE! :D

5. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Jul 11, 2005

Grow-a-Frog

Grow-a-Frog company is great! The initial frog kit costs appx. $20 and has a lifetime guarantee! Well worth the investment. These frogs are frogs you keep forever and do not release them which I think is a good idea- 1. because I've heard of some stories of frogs being released into habitiats that weren't meant to be and disrupted the flow (extreme case) and 2. a pet that stays with you! We've had ours for 7 years now-he sings at night. :)

6. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Jul 11, 2005

lve2tch, I have one of those frogs and have had mine at least that long. It's an African Claw water frog. All I feed him is earthworms, daily.
    He used to sing, but I haven't heard him sing for a very long time. Kinda too bad. The kids absolutely adore him! I change his water weekly, using just tap water and being careful about keeping the temperature the same. He likes to hide under a big rock and once in awhile swims all over his aquarium like crazy. One time I tried to put him in a much bigger aquarium so he had more room to swim and I put an air filter in it. Well, I didn't realize that would be upsetting to him and he quit eating for at least a month, so I put him back in his old aquarium...which is about a 5 gallon I believe. They are very sensitive to change. I didn't know that!

7. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Jul 11, 2005

Christy, I love your little Lizzie. I had a cat that looked a bit like that many years ago and we called her "old kitty!" We sure loved her and had her for her whole lifetime.

8. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Jul 11, 2005

Thanks, Patricia Ann. She's a keeper. I fell in love with her at PetSmart when I saw her. I had a cat that was very similar to her when I was growing up. I had to leave her at my parents (country cat she would have never survived in an apartment). Lizzie has a personality all her own! We are working on her losing a few pounds, but she is a tall loooong cat. She's just big. At the moment she is enjoying sleeping on top of my school aquarium. I don't know what she is going to do when I bring it back to school! :D

9. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Jul 11, 2005

Thanks for info PatriciaAnn.. didn't really know what type of frog they were- thought they may be some mutated frog or something. I have two new babies I got for my son and I am already attached to them. Didn't realize I should feed them worms though- I guess I will try that when they get big. I just keep them in a small tank and let them swim around in muck for awhile- the company's info booklet said the frogs thrive in this type of environment? My mom has my old guy (7 year old frog) and he got loose one time she was cleaning the tank. They found him a day later behind my dad's desk encapsulated in a dust bunny! :p These frogs are hearty fellows!!!

10. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Jul 12, 2005

lve2teach, My frog got out many years ago. It was kind of bizarre really. The aquarium sat below a shelf that had a bottle of Pine Sol on it. Well, one Monday morning I came in to find that there was a tiny pin hole leak in the bottle and it had dripped into the frog tank below. I noticed the cloudy water and panicked as I looked in for the frog, only to find that he wasn't there! There was no top on the tank. I looked around, couldn't find him so of course had to get busy with the kids for the day. Awhile later, I heard some hollering from downstairs from one of the teachers, "There's a FROG in my room!!!" Here that little bugger had hopped down a full flight of stairs to the main floor!!! He was ok and was I ever glad that he had the sense to jump out of his tank!!! Now I have him in a safer spot and there is a cover on the top. He is capable of jumping out! Regarding feeding him worms, I really don't know what they recommend, but I find that to be the cleanest, cheapest and easiest and it has kept him healthy all these years! He likes the little red worms that don't need refrigeration and they are just the right size...one big gulp and he takes his little claws and pushes the rest into his mouth. He is the cutest.

11. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Jul 12, 2005

Christy, I have 3 cats...2 are strays that wandered into our home...all males and all fixed. They do go outside. The oldest is Eddie and he is one of our 'original" black cats that we had when we moved out here. He is the most awesome cat...very tall (as you said yours is) and the perfect Halloween look...very sweet and loveable, but is solid and strong. YOu can just feel the muscle when you pick him up. When we lost his partner(never did find out what happened), he was heart broken. This was many years ago. The first kitten we got to replace the "lost" one, was a white tom cat...very thin looking and tiny. Well, Ed fell in love with him. He acted like he was his baby. He would let his tail hang over the edge of the couch so the 'baby" could bat it. He would hold him down with his front paws, around the neck and clean him head until it was soaking wet. They cuddled together and were best buds...unfotunately, letting cats outside means taking a chance. The white cat got hit by a car after we had him for a couple of years. Ed has never bonded with another cat. He tolerates, but doesn't get close really. Poor guy. Cats are so interesting and fun...I like the saying, " A house without a cat is not a home."

12. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Jul 12, 2005

PatriciaAnn- good thing the froggy was alive. They really are amazing little creatures! I think I will try the worms and mention it to my mom so she can feel the "old" guy some :) The teacher store where I originally saw the frogs had theirs for I think 12-15 years! I get so attached to my class pets. I had to give away my hamster at the end of this year because during the summer, she came home with me and well, with two dogs and a cat-let's just say it wasn't the best situation. I miss her, but she's doing well. Ahh, the joys of teaching! :love:

13. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Jul 12, 2005

I get attached to my classroom pets as well. I dread the day I come in and little froggie is ... well, you know. Maybe he'll outlive me though!
    I had a guinea pig once and when she "passed away" , one of the teachers called me early in the morning screaming into the phone, "PAT! MS. PIGGY DIED! WHAT SHOULD I DO???" I told her to stay away from the cage until I got there ! Well, we ended having a little talk and all the kids looked at her and said good bye...it was really quite an experience! I will never ever get a furry animal for work again. I get way too attached to things with fur!

14. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Jul 12, 2005

Lizzie loves it when my school critters come home. They give her more interesting toys (Even though I bought her a tank of goldfish all her own!). Patricia Ann, Lizzie is my first inside cat. She has been outside on a leash a time or two (she didn't care for it). Of course there was the 6 hours that she was missing in the woods behind the vet's office. That was an experience all it's own. I still can't believe we found her!
    lve2tch, I get attached to my critters, too. I had to bring one of my rats to the vet to be put down. I cried like a baby. Other than fish the only pets I've had and lost have been 3 rats. (Baldy is the one I had to have put down, w/i 3 weeks his brother and tank partner died. I just came in and found him. I was told that rat pairs often do that. I got 2 new ones a couple of weeks later. I came in one morning and found Oreo dead. She had seemed healthy and happy the day before, I'm not sure what happened. Now I have Sugar Baby.) As for the fish...well I bought a really pretty one at WalMart and was told it was a community fish. It took him eating his way through about 16 tank mates before we quit naming the fish (I had a double list on the board of all the ones we'd had.) Finally he was by himself, I finally figured out what happened. (It's not as bad as it sounds, the water here is horrible, it actually looks yellow. I had tried to use just bottle water and I wasn't sure what was killing the others.) That canibal fish lived for almost 2 1/2 years by himself! The sub left a note that he had died the day before and that she had asked the janitor to take care of him. I hate to admit it, but I was happy! That meant we could have several different fish again! :D
    The rats have all been buried in the pet cemetary back by the creek at my parents' place.

15. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Jul 12, 2005

I had an interesting experience with my class pets this year. I was furious at the time (and still get that way if I let myself!) Our school was broken into. The brats that did it (one was a former student) moved my animals. The let the box turtles loose, put the water turtle in with the fish (I still can't believe he didn't eat them, he LOVES fish.) and the rat in with the millipede. It took me a minute to find them (they are on two sides of the room. I thought they had let them go. I was furious. I still don't know how they moved the rat. She has never bitten me, but she doesn't love being held.
    I'm going to have to look into getting one of those frogs, they sound cool! Where did ya'll get them?

16. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Jul 12, 2005

Interesting stories! I was somehow reassured that I wasn't altogether nuts when you said you had your rat "put down." We had a white pet rat that my son dragged home one time. He was so gentle and nice. Well, one day I noticed he was just laying and sort of quivering...near his last breath. My son and I took him to the vet and had him "put down" so he wouldn't suffer. We felt kinda foolish because after all, most people would say it's just a rodent! I believe it was quite expensive (at least 25.00) Now I see that we are not the only rat lovers!
    Where did I get the frog? A friend had ordered him from The Learning Shop and he was shipped to them. The weather here has to be warm when they ship them. I bet you could find a link online to order one. Once in a while I rinse out the sensory table real well and put him in there to swim. It's the funniest sight! We used to put our hermit crabs in to swim and they were fun to watch as well....but that frog is so fast and wild in alot of water!

17. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Jul 13, 2005

I will definitely try to find them. Dr. Bobby is my vet, he didn't charge me for putting Baldy to sleep. He said it was a school pet and he wouldn't charge for that. (Lizzie still hates him though! :D) My co-teacher's son said he would have put him to sleep for me. I didn't ask him how, I just said ...NO!

18. luvmykids

luvmykids Companion

Jul 13, 2005

Y'all got me curious so I went and looked. http://www.growafrog.com/ is where you can get them, and they aren't that expensive either!!

I think this is what I might do for my classroom pet this year.