Tablet Recommendation

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by AnnNorCal, Jul 30, 2014.

1. AnnNorCal

AnnNorCal Rookie

Jul 30, 2014

I'm finally ready to buy my first tablet. Any recommendations? This would not be something I would use at school, just for personal use. I don't play games or want to read on it. It would mostly be for surfing the net, e-mail and watching some youtube videos.

Everyone suggests an iPad, but I'm not sure if I need all the extra stuff and it is quite pricey. I would also like to take it when I travel. I have heard a little about KindleFire, Dell and Samsung Tablets, but I don't really know which would be best for me.

Any suggestions? Stick with iPad or try something else? Thanks:)

3. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jul 30, 2014

I have an ipad Air and iPad mini. I like both, but since I have not tried any other tablets it´s hard to compare. Sorry, I realize this is of no help to you.

4. AnnNorCal

AnnNorCal Rookie

Jul 30, 2014

Do you prefer the mini or the full size tablet?

5. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Jul 30, 2014

I have a Kindle Fire, but I'm not terribly happy with it. The internet crashes on it all the time, which is frustrating.

6. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Jul 30, 2014

I have a Kindle Fire and so do my sons.
    I use it for internet and Netflex.
    Sons use it for games, Netflix, and youtube.
    We love them and have no problems except the boys cannot get i-pad games. However, their i-pad friends cannot get android games.

7. teachsph2008

teachsph2008 Companion

Jul 30, 2014

I have a Nexus 7 from Google. I really like it. The only problem I have is sometimes it will freeze on me. I have to hold the on/off button for 20 seconds and then it reboots.

8. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 30, 2014

I bought myself a full-sized iPad last summer & I love it. (It's my very first Mac product ever.)

9. fjaravata

fjaravata Rookie

Jul 30, 2014

Though I'm an iPad/Apple user (personally as well as at our school), I suggest you look into others like the Kindle Fire, Android tablets (Samsung) as well. For the basics like email and surfing, the they offer the better value.

Just remember, whatever you choose, and want to go beyond the basics, you will be "stuck" in that platform's ecosystem.

Also, the iPad Mini is also a cheaper alternative to the larger one.

Hope this helps!

Fred

10. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

Jul 30, 2014

I have an iPad (typing on it now) and i love it. I use it for:

1. Watching movies in Netflix
    2. Reading books in my Kindle and Barnes and Noble app
    3. As a cookbook (i open up recipes from my pintrest board)
    4. Games for when my nephews visit
    5. A calculator
    6. Surfing the web
    7. Taking and editing pictures
    8. Playing Pandora radio station
    9. Reading e-zines
    10. Writing emails
    11.working on my novel

11. mrsteach

mrsteach Rookie

Jul 30, 2014

Our family has both the Kindle Fire and an Android tablet. Of the two, I prefer the Android. I like the internet browser on the Android better- I can use Chrome. I have a lot more apps available on the Android vs. the Kindle. Kindle has its own browser, which has been iffy for me before. But I love the Kindle for my daughter as she can watch many of the shows we get for free as part of my Amazon Prime membership- that cannot be done an Android. The Kindle is probably much cheaper, depending on size, etc. that you choose.

I have not had an iPad, just and iPhone before I switched that to Android as well, which I personally like better also. But it is probably just a matter of personal preference.

12. bros

bros Phenom

Jul 31, 2014

A Google Nexus 7 is a good choice.

A word of advice with tablets running Android - make sure to clear the app cache data every year or two (which takes like two minutes) - otherwise the device can freeze on occasion, resulting in you having to hold down the power button until it turns off & reboots.

13. mrsroos

mrsroos Rookie

Jul 31, 2014

I have an iPad and my mom just recently got the new Kindle Fire. I would say go with either!! The Kindle is a bit more of a learning curve but for the price you can't beat it!

Happy Tablet shopping

14. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Jul 31, 2014

I love my iPad! I rarely use my laptop anymore at all.

15. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jul 31, 2014

I prefer the full size, but I know others who prefer the smaller one. My TA just sold her iPad Air so she could purchase the mini instead. To tell you the truth, my husband and daughter use the iPads more than I do.

16. kaeco510

kaeco510 Companion

Jul 31, 2014

My dad and I bought my mom an iPad mini for Christmas and she loves it! It is very easy to use, and it's not too small, even for her not-so-great eyesight ;) I have friends who love their Kindle Fires.

I would go to the store and play with the different types. See which one is best for you! Happy shopping! :)

17. fjaravata

fjaravata Rookie

Aug 4, 2014

Also, consider any possible repairs to the tablet. If you go with Apple for any internal breaks and there is an Apple store near you, you'll appreciate it. If you go with other brands/platforms, you may have to send it in for a while.

As for glass breaking, there a lot of repair shops/kiosks in malls these days.

18. bros

bros Phenom

Aug 5, 2014

You just have to get a good case for a tablet to prevent breakage.

And most tablets don't just up and die (depending on the brand, of course. Some have a higher rate of failure than others. ASUS & Samsung have some of the lowest failure rates I believe).