Tables: Making it work for a class

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Backroads, Jan 23, 2015.

1. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Jan 23, 2015

I'm looking for advice and tips on using tables for my second graders.

I know some people love the group aspect and I agree with that. But my teaching style considered, I'm a desk person. I like to speak from the front of the room. I like my students to be able to look directly at... whatever without twisting about.

I even like to separate desks when needed.

However, tables are what we have, largely due to the smaller size of my classroom.

Those of you who have tables and love them, how do you arrange them and the class? How do you manage students?

3. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jan 23, 2015

I have tables this year and love them! I like the flexibility and the ease of changing seating plans or arrangements quickly and easily. My tables are rectangular, so I can usually have the students facing the front, without their backs to me. Up until last week, I had the tables arranged in an inverted U. Now I have 2 or 3 pushed together to make groups of 6 or 7. I also have a couple of extra tables and 2 traditional student desks, so it's easy for the kids to spread out if they need to.

4. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Jan 23, 2015

We have tables. We also have a rug. I teach ALL of my lessons on the rug. I very, very rarely address the kids' when they're at their seats unless it's to give quick directions or transition to another activity. I love it this way.