tables instead of desks

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by crf_tuestacr, Aug 13, 2008.

1. crf_tuestacr

crf_tuestacr Rookie

Aug 13, 2008

I was expecting desks in my classroom so I could put their names on their desks. Now, I found out I'm gonna have tables. if you have tables in your room, can you tell me how you've assigned their seats? Do you still put their names on the tables?

thanks

3. mrs100

mrs100 Comrade

Aug 13, 2008

We have tables instead of desks, and I like it a lot. There ends up being much more space. I use the tent nameplates that fold so that they can be moved easily. The problem with taping or sticking their nametags to the tables is that it's hard to move them when changing seats. We also got seat sacks that have a slot for a nametag too.

4. mjennings

mjennings Companion

Aug 13, 2008

I make my own name plates on the computer and then just tape them on the tables with packing tape. I usually change seats about 4-6 times a year. When I change seats i just take the nameplates off and reprint new ones and tape them back up. It takes a little long but it's worth it! I have also seen another way to do it. The kindergarten teachers at my school just write the kids name on the table with a dry erase marker.

5. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Aug 13, 2008

I usually have a little basket in the middle of the table for pencils and things. In the basket, I stick a little tag that has all their names on it. At the table, they can sit at any spot so it's just the table that's assigned.

6. annie41378

annie41378 Rookie

Aug 13, 2008

if you are okay with them only needing their name to find their seat, you can use a dry erase marker to write their name where they sit. it will come right up.

7. Youngteacher226

Youngteacher226 Enthusiast

Aug 13, 2008

I have tables so what I do is laminate the nametags and secure them to the tables with packing tape. So if I need to move seats, I can just pull up the nametags and they wont rip or being destroyed when I move them. The tape comes up with it and I just secure it on another table etc.

8. mixedup1

mixedup1 Rookie

Aug 14, 2008

I have tables in my mixed age room of third/fourth/fifth grades. I have cubbies for student supplies and baskets on the tables for pencils and grading pens etc. For name tags last year I started out using nametags laminated but the kids picked at the tape holding them down. I tried contact paper over the name tag too. Finally I decided to cut apart pages from an old photo album that has the pockets where you slide the pictures in. I think the size is 3 x 5 or 4 x 6. Either will work. I tape it on three sides and leave one side open. I wrote all of my students names on brightly colored index cards. When students need to move all they do is pull out their name tag and then slide it into their new "pocket" at their new spot. I found that these last much longer than the other way.

9. TeacherC

TeacherC Connoisseur

Aug 14, 2008

mixedup1, i like that idea.
    I also use tent name tags that I keep in the "community" crayons, pencils, and pens bucket for each table. They lasted for a good 3 or 4 months before they got too mangles to stand!

10. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Aug 14, 2008

I should add, I laminate the tags (my tables are color coded) and use a BIC permanent marker on them to write the names. I use colored index cards. I use bic because it comes off better with goo-gone. We change tables pretty regularly so I just wipe off the names and do new ones for that table.

I stick it in the caddy and I can see it from anywhere in the room.