Table/Group Reward System???

Discussion in 'Behavior Management' started by hopetoteach, Oct 21, 2007.

1. hopetoteach

hopetoteach Rookie

Oct 21, 2007

Help! I am a student teacher (2nd grade) and I am really struggling to find out what works with my class. I am considering a table/group reward system (I have six groups of four). I would list group numbers on board. As we go through the day, I would give a star to those groups that I notice doing an exceptional job following class rules (e.g., true whisper voices during math journal time, giving me their attention quickly when I give the signal, etc). When a group gets to ten stars they would receive a reward of some kind. Has anyone tried something like this?

I'm having a bit of trouble determining a reward that would be valuable to them and reasonable. My host teacher suggested lunch in the classroom with me, first to go out to recess, or maybe I buy them popcorn on "Popcorn Thursdays".

Any suggestions or comments will help. Thanks!!

3. GrandHighWitch

GrandHighWitch Companion

Oct 21, 2007

My cooperating teacher for student teaching did this, and I do it with my class now. During student teaching, we let the winning table choose a reward such as an extra recess, McDonald's for lunch in the classroom, a prize from the teacher's prize bin, etc. Some of the rewards only worked well because there were two teachers around - one of us could take them out for the extra recess or run to McDonald's right before lunch.

Now that I've got my own classroom, that doesn't work out so well, so I had to find different rewards. The first time I changed the seating arrangement, I bought pizza for the winning group, and we had a little pizza party in the room during lunch. That would get expensive if you did it all the time though, so just eating lunch in the room with you or doing popcorn would be better. You could have popcorn and a video in the room during lunch; kids always love that kind of stuff.

4. synapse

synapse Comrade

Oct 21, 2007

Why is it necessary to use a tangible reinforcer when they are already behaving the way you expect? Research supports that, over time, tangible reinforcers diminish intrinsic motivation for behaviors that are already intrinsically motivating.

I would ask why the system is necessary in the first place?

5. GrandHighWitch

GrandHighWitch Companion

Oct 21, 2007

I don't think anyone is saying that it's NECESSARY... but in my opinion, it is a fun motivator for the students to stay on task, be prepared, and transition more quickly than they would otherwise.

I use plenty of praise for behavior that meets my expectations, as a way of intrinsically motivating my students, but I'm not of the philosophy that students should never be rewarded for good behavior. I would rather reward positive behavior than just punish negative behavior.

6. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Oct 21, 2007

We have a school wide tangible reinforcer. I don't mind complying. Last year they needed that plus an additional one specially made just for our class. That was fine. This year I have a hard time remembering to give out these "bucks" because the class doesn't need it as much. I do it though. Then one of the students knew about our plan from last year and convinced the teacher he wanted it. That was a lot of work!! I was not about to do all of that just because a student wanted it when they don't need it. Most of our classroom issues this year has to do with social (insults, competition, etc) but they have no problem with staying on task and doing the work. So I feel we should have teachable moments and consequences and verbal praise. Why go through this other daily system when it isn't needed. For some classes (like mine from last year) they need more.

Believe it or not, our students last year got the biggest kick from having "wow" certificates to take home to mom and dad if they had a great day. If the whole class gets it, they can have an extra 15 min recess (if they still get these) on Friday. Otherwise you have a fun time (puzzles, educational game, etc) on Friday while the others do their catch up folders.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2007
  7. Christine3

Christine3 Cohort

Oct 21, 2007

What do you all do when I student just walks away from his/her group member(s)? I have one child that will walk to another group and start talking to them.