TA or substitute teacher?

Discussion in 'Special Education Archives' started by teresaglass, Jun 21, 2006.

1. teresaglass

teresaglass Groupie

Jun 21, 2006

Hello everyone,

I am trying to get a special education job in a public school district. I am fully credentialed in special education and English. I have passes 3 subtests of the English CSET and I am sheduled to take subtest IV in July. I have even managed to get a few interviews but no offers. If I do not pass the CSET this time should I apply to districts as a TA or a substitute teacher? I am currently on the sub list for one district and I am working for a private agency that places substitute teachers. I would really like to work in a public school district for a steady income. Any help or advice would be appreciated. Terry G.

3. Ghost

Ghost Habitué

Jun 21, 2006

I moved to another state mid-year and took a job as an assistant. It gave me time to learn how things are different here. It let me network within the school. And overall, the pay ended up being more per day than a sub job would. Now I"m looking for a full time job, but I still have the assistant job as a back up if nothing pans out. Good luck.

4. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Jun 21, 2006

If a steady income is what you want, the I'd say go for the TA position. If you like variety, different settings, and are ok with waiting by the phone then I'd say subbing. Although, if you are offered a permanent sub position in the school, I would definitely take that. The whole point being, you will be the first one called upon in the event that a sub is needed, and you will become familiar with the day to day dealings of a school on a regular basis. Either choice is a good one. It just depends on you. Good Luck

5. shadowrose45

shadowrose45 Rookie

Jul 3, 2006

HI

The one thing to consider is that if you need current references, it's hard to get them as a sub, as the principals haven't seen you teach, and they are often unwilling to provide a reference letter, which most schools want.

6. AspieTeacher

AspieTeacher Comrade

Jul 3, 2006

Teresa,

The LACOE (Los Angeles County Office of Education) is hiring for special education, Court School Teachers, Alternative School Teachers (mostly students with mild behaviors). I would highly recommend that you talk to them. They are looking for teachers who have met the NCLB requirements also. It would be helpful to have your CLAD requirements met as well. Good luck in finding a permanent position too.

Troy aka AspieTeacher

7. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jul 3, 2006

My parapro. was hired as an interrelated teacher next year. I think it all depends on whether or not you need a steady income.

8. teresaglass

teresaglass Groupie

Jul 3, 2006

LACOE Jobs

Dear Troy,

Thank you for the information. I will definitely look into it. I did apply with LACOE but I will definitley try again. I have the CLAD and I have already passed 3 subtests of the English CSET and I plan to take the 4th subtest this July. I feel confident I will pass it this time. Again thanks for your encouragement. Terry G.

9. AspieTeacher

AspieTeacher Comrade

Jul 4, 2006

anytime!

10. TeachBD

TeachBD Rookie

Jul 7, 2006

Where I am in IL, para's are not paid well at all. You would have benefits (insurance, etc.) but you work nearly 3 days as a para to equal the same money as subbing 1 day.....

If insurance is an issue, I was able to get fairly inexpensive (about $50/mth with a $1000.00 deductible) short term coverage through my college alumni association. I had to renew it every 6 months, but it was there if I had major medical issues to deal with.

When I first graduated I subbed for my home district and for the 2 districts I student taught for and loved it. I could pick and choose days I wanted to work and it got to the point I was scheduled months in advance to work in certain buildings for certain teachers. It put me in buildings where I was able to build some relationships that eventually led to me being called to be interviewed and hired for a position that I had not even applied for. A principal I had worked with gave my name to another principal who was looking for a teacher.