TA or Sub?

Discussion in 'Job Hunting & Interviews' started by bdteach, Aug 13, 2006.

1. bdteach

bdteach Companion

Aug 13, 2006

Hi Everyone,
    I've been trying to obtain a University Intern position for September with no luck so far. At this point, I'm thinking it's probably not going to happen, so I'm looking at TA jobs and Sub jobs.

Which would be better experience for me, and which would look better on my resume for next year?

Thanks for the feedback!

3. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Aug 13, 2006

I think subbing would be best. I worked at a school as an EA and when it was time for me to teach, the staff sometimes had a hard time seeing me in a new role.

Subbing allows you to see a wide variety of schools and methods and rooms. It allows you to make the ever important CONTACTS! Find a school that you like and "court" it. Hand out cards to the teachers you subbed for and the teachers in the neighboring rooms. Introduce yourself to the principal

Yes, being an ea will give you an everyday type experience, but do you want to be an ea, or do you want to teach?

4. jenglish97

jenglish97 Devotee

Aug 13, 2006

I was a full-time teacher assistant for two years before finding a teaching job. I liked it. I needed to know that I had a job and can work everyday instead of waiting for a phone call in the evening or in the morning. The teacher I worked for allowed me to teach some lessons under her guidance so that I would feel comfortable and be ready for my own classroom. This also allowed the principal to see that I was punctual and eager to work. I have to say I learned to be very flexible due to sub shortages at times. I did have my teaching certification so they were able to do that.

If you do not know what age level you want to teach then you may want to sub. Like I said, I like knowing that I will be going to work each day.

Good luck with your decision...

5. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

Aug 13, 2006

With the job market the way it is, I'd sub. Many people getting jobs these days are ones with personal contacts (well, I assume that's the case, I guess). Subbing will get you in lots of different buildings and possibly even in different districts. I think through subbing you can also pick up lots of ideas from the things you see in so many different teachers' classrooms. You'll also have a chance to try out different things as you teach a wide variety of students.

6. Ms.T

Ms.T Comrade

Aug 13, 2006

I was just discussing this issue with my husband a few minutes ago!

I agree that it is great to have a steady job, however, based on my experience as a TA, I would not do it again. I was a TA and HATED the teacher. He was nice to me on a personal level, but I think he was one of the worst teachers ever. Some of the things he did made me want to report him to his superiors. Going to work every day and seeing how I was much more qualified for the job than he was made me so mad! I don't mean to sound negative -- I'm sure not everyone's experience was like mine, and most teachers are quite nice/capable -- but I can't stand to think that I would be stuck for another long year with a crappy "boss".

Just something to think about.

7. Suburban Gal

Suburban Gal (formerly Elizabeth) Banned

Aug 13, 2006

Substitute Teacher would probably be better. You're in direct control of the classes and get a better feel of what's out there since you're the most mobile.

However, if it's benefits you want along with steady pay and work then I'd go the Teacher's Aide route instead. Not to mention, TA may be closer to an University Intern.

IMHO, it shouldn't matter. Both will give you valuable experience and look good on the résumé.

Good luck to you! :cool:

8. jennyjenjen

jennyjenjen Rookie

Aug 13, 2006

I know the feeling

I was an aide for my senior year of college, absolutely loved it. However, after I graduated I decided to try subbing. I did not care for subbing. Mainly because I did not like being called all hours of the day for jobs, being called at the last minute, and working with kids that think they can be bad just because you don't know them well. After subbing for 6 months, I went back to being an aide for the stable income and medical insurance (most districts do not offer benefits to their subs, but offer them to their classified employees).

I found the job satisfaction from being a TA much higher, and the letters of reference that I was able to get from my year as an aide have helped me immensely. Now a teaching job has opened up at the school that I work at and the principal said I was first in line because she knew me. So, they both have their pros and cons.

I wish you the bestest of luck.

9. genchi918

genchi918 Rookie

Aug 14, 2006

I pretty much had the same experiecne as jenyjenjen(the post above). I too tried subbing and I just didn't like not knowing if I would be working the next day. Sometimes I would get a call the last minute and I would have to rush to the school. I decided to be a TA and I loved the experience, the teacher I worked with was really nice and she let me take over the class sometimes. I just recently got hired for my first real teaching job. It is not in the same school where I was a TA, but the principle commended me on my great reference letters from the teachers that I worked with. He also told me that he like the fact that even though I'm not certified in special ed, it was good that I was working with special needs students. He said it showed I was diverse and had compassion. Good luck with your decision, they really are both good experiences to have.

10. draket

draket Rookie

Aug 14, 2006

I have been trying to get on with the district where I live. I have spoken to my daughter's principal and she recommends that I sub if I want to land a teaching job. This gives me the contacts and allows the principals to come and watch me teach. I will even ask them to come and observ me. If I can have control as a sub and get it done than they will know I can do it in my own classroom.

11. skiteach

skiteach Rookie

Aug 14, 2006

Sub if you can

Hi,
    I became certified w/a masters a year ago and couldn't find a job, so I took a job as a TA. It was a great experience because I really wasn't ready for my own classroom, yet I was very involved in teaching, planning and assessment. I also needed the medical ins. and steady income. I am still looking for a classroom teaching job b/c my principal really likes to hire teachers who also are certified in special ed--I am not. Although I got really good experience with the TA position and feel it improved my teaching tremendously, and I feel like I'm interviewing better, principals get a hundred resumes for one position. So, getting a job comes down to who you know. If you can, I would recommend subbing.

12. Suburban Gal

Suburban Gal (formerly Elizabeth) Banned

Aug 14, 2006

Yes. There's actually quite a bit of truth to that. There was a lady with the one elementary district I subbed for for the past 2 years who subbed for 3 years just so she could get her own classroom in that district. So yes, it does pay off to sub and work hards as a Substitute Teacher.

13. kidatheart

kidatheart Habitué

Aug 14, 2006

The problem I found with subbing is that there is a shortage of decent dependable subs out there. Because of this, many districts are not too keen on hiring from their sub pool. But being an aide does not give you the exposure in multiple districts and you may be taking a risk because of that.
    It's "six of one, half dozen of the other" as my hubby would say. I tried the sub route for two years many moons ago. I am now trying to find a TA position... I'll let you know which one works better next year when I am once again looking for a teaching position...
    If anyone finds that magic thing that will get me a job, please share!!
    Good luck everyone

14. munchkin

munchkin Cohort

Aug 14, 2006

15. bdteach

bdteach Companion

Aug 14, 2006

Wow - thanks for all the great insight. I'm starting to lean more towards TA because I'm in Los Angeles--right in the middle of Los Angeles--so there aren't many other districts to worry about being exposed to and I don't know that I'm the type of personality who could handle being called at a moment's notice, all the time.

However, I suppose it may just be up to whoever calls me. I had a call today about a TA position in a private school which may work out wonderfully for me. Fingers crossed!

Thanks again, everyone.

16. kidatheart

kidatheart Habitué

Aug 15, 2006

good luck to you

17. bdteach

bdteach Companion

Aug 21, 2006

Well, it's a few weeks later...

I interviewed for a TA job at a really nice local private school and got the job. However, during the interview, the principal pointed out that this job requires a commitment till June. In other words, next Fall, I'll be trying to find a position as a University Intern again unless I do my student teaching in the spring (or, even worse, do my student teaching in the fall).

I know I got a late jump on the job search this year (waiting on CSET scores for Intern Qualified Letter), but is it really difficult to get hired as an Intern? I'm willing to relocate, so I've just expanded my search and sent out a ton of resumes etc this past weekend. Is it still possible to get a position for this Fall?

If not, and I take this TA job, will it be just as difficult next year, or is it really that I just started so late?

I'm in California and willing to relocate to just about anywhere in California.

Thanks for your insight, once again!

18. kidatheart

kidatheart Habitué

Aug 21, 2006

This is my first year trying to find a teaching job after 10 years of being out of the field. It has been very rough.
    I just accepted a TA position - very low pay, no bennies, and no tuition reimbursement. I don't know if I made the right decision, but like you said, bdteach, I'm taking what was offered. I am so afraid that I might miss out on something else, so I am going to continue to send out resume packets and keep my eyes on the ultimate prize - a full time teaching position in a public elementary school.
    I know in my heart though that I will most likely be going through this same ordeal next fall!!
    I will change my tactics next year though. I'm going to begin in May and I'm going to follow up every resume with a phone call or visit. I'm going to change my strategies to be way more aggressive with the search.
    Chin up!!!

19. munchkin

munchkin Cohort

Aug 21, 2006

Kidatheart,
    You may want to check with a friendly administrator (off the record, ofcourse) about the time frame that the schools start looking. Here is what I was told:
    There are 2/3"jobfairs" at different colleges to scout out potential teachers. Around January/February they start getting the contracts to be renewed started up. Most teachers don't have to have them signed until Mar/April. This is when the teachers start making their initial requests for transfers within the district, decide to leave the district and requesting release from their contract... That is when you as a newby(like me) make your initial paper attack, and making the rounds face to face. Better yet, sub... May is getting to be late.Most positions have been filled, but there are still openings that happen at the last minute for enrollment booms, teacher moving, more funding, etc..
    Personally, The sub part, I got down pat. The meet and greet.... welll I do my best. Thepaper attack, I suck at. By the time I get around to doing it, I am so discouraged, I tend to give up.
    Mday you have better luck. Do try to be stronger than me, and avoid the getting off track syndrome!:eek:
    I wish you the very best of luck.
    Personally