t-tess, teacher goals

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by scalhoun56, Sep 5, 2016.

1. scalhoun56

scalhoun56 Guest

Sep 5, 2016

I am stressing a bit over writing a goal for the teacher goal-setting plan. I know in my head what I want to try to accomplish but not sure how to word it on a plan, Some of my idea goals are making my lessons more student centered, incorporating stations into my classroom, and using higher level questioning. Any ideas on how to write a goal for any of those?

3. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Sep 5, 2016

I'm having the same problem!

4. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Connoisseur

Sep 6, 2016

My only reply at this time in the morning is, my principal is such a control freak she will tell me what my goal is. Sorry I don't have much for you. When I wake up and have had my morning caffeine my snarkiness will go away, I hope.

Teachling likes this.
  5. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Sep 6, 2016

Just curious- How much training did y'all have on this system? Ours was seven hours, but I have teacher friends in another district who had three days of training.

6. txmomteacher2

Sep 6, 2016

We had a very brief over view before school let out last year like maybe an hour. Then in August we had half day training, so 4 hours. Not that much considering our lives may depend on this. lol

7. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Sep 6, 2016

I'm a T-Tess evaluator. If you'd like to PM me your draft of your goals, I'll give you some feedback. :)

8. PEteacher07

PEteacher07 Cohort

Sep 6, 2016

I have my meeting with my principal about our goals at the end of the month. I am confused about what is wanted from me to be honest. The gym is a very different place than the classroom. I don't always like doing a lot of questioning and discussion because I want the kids doing more exercise than talking. Questioning and discussion does happen, but again, I think the exercise and movement is more important so the kids can get back into the classroom and be awesome and focused learners.

By the way, I don't know if you watched the video of the 5th/6th grade math teacher and graded her on the t-tess domains, but I noticed that 41 minutes into the lesson, the kids finally got to get out of their seats for the first time. I don't think it's good for learning for a child at that age to sit for so long but I am also a PE teacher so that is what I tend to notice. I did like her content though!

9. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Sep 6, 2016

I just saw a fourth grade ELAR lesson that was pretty horrible.

10. txmomteacher2

Sep 7, 2016

I don't think the ELAR lesson that I saw was horrible. I thought she talked to long. But they didn't even say a thing about that. Of course her kids were perfectly behaved. She didn't have to redirect anyone but that one little girl who was trying to do someone else's job. If only it were that simple.

11. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Sep 7, 2016

The one I saw was a male teacher.

txmomteacher2 likes this.
  12. txmomteacher2

Sep 9, 2016

My daughter is a teacher in another district and their goals had to be in today. So yesterday she texted me and we worked on her together. Once i sat down and really thought about them it wasn't that hard. So now I helped her I have a general idea of what mine are going to be.

13. Teachling

Teachling Groupie

Sep 11, 2016

:rofl:

14. Teachling

Teachling Groupie

Sep 11, 2016

Pretty much what I'm thinking! The problem I see is how do you measure it? That's the struggle I'm having.

15. 4815162342

4815162342 Companion

Sep 13, 2016

Okay, I just saw this in another thread and it seems like a lot of districts are using this method now.
    I work at a public charter, we don't use this.... yet.

16. TeachCafe

TeachCafe Comrade

Sep 17, 2016

It was probably the one we saw with the blonde lady. My 4th graders would have tuned out after about 10 minutes. It was boring yet she got a high evaluation and IMO it was 100% teacher directed because she talked for a LONG time. It was really an elementary lecture.

My school is having a goals help time after school Monday so we can all meet in the library and help each other. I'll be at a training all day but I'm booking it back to campus for that.

Texas loves to make stuff more complicated:roll:

Teachling likes this.
  17. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Sep 17, 2016

The lesson I saw was a male teacher. He did not get a high rating as it wasn't very rigorous.

18. txmomteacher2

Sep 17, 2016

Seriously stuck on goal #2 please someone help!!!!