Systematic Instruction

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by 49erteacher, Mar 31, 2013.

1. 49erteacher

49erteacher Rookie

Mar 31, 2013

I am going to apply to a district that has supplementary questions on the application. One of the questions asks about systematic instruction. Specifically, it says "Please provide a detailed example of a specific lesson in which you effectively demonstrated systematic instruction and explain through clear outcomes how it supported student achievement."

When I first read the question, I didn't know what it was referring to. I saw a lot of different things when I googled systematic instruction but I think that this is teaching strategies. Is this a correct understanding of what systematic instruction means?

3. RobertTexasMath

RobertTexasMath Rookie

Mar 31, 2013

I'm not an expert on this but I believe it has to do with teaching based on a students prior knowledge, scaffolding. Your planning for the lesson would be the key to answering this question. Knowing your students would also be very important. What did you do to ensure that they had the background information needed to learn the new material.
    One of the biggest mistakes I see new teachers making is they get to focused on the content and forget the student. An example in teaching multiplication in math would be to make sure all of my students have mastered addition. If most of my class was still struggling with addition it wouldn't make sense to try to teach them multiplication.
    Start the lesson with a review of what you believe they already know that is essential to their success in what your going to teach them. You should include questions or some other type of informal assessment that would tell you your assumption was correct. Then you would proceed with building upon that with the new learning objectives.

4. 49erteacher

49erteacher Rookie

Mar 31, 2013

I taught for 5 years. I need to come up with an example of a lesson that will show that I have used systematic instruction. This isn't a term that I have heard in the past. I haven't taught for 2 years and the 4 years before that I was in a charter school.

5. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Mar 31, 2013

Usually reading programs are based upon systematic instruction that includes a research-based progression of material and your lessons include pre-assessment, presentation, guided practice, independent practice, reassessment, reteach/move forward.

So, you might want to use a reading lesson as your example.

6. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 31, 2013

Try Googling the district Web site for the phrase "systematic instruction", in case that phrase is a buzzword that's internal to the district.

If it's not, I think you'd be safe to assume that "systematic instruction" is shorthand for planning and carrying out a lesson that was intended to achieve a specific measurable curricular goal (most probably based on one of the content standards), then assessing to ensure that students have indeed reached the goal.

7. EdEd

EdEd Aficionado

Apr 1, 2013

My first impression was direct instruction. However you answer it though, I would clarify your interpretation/definition of systematic instruction at the beginning of the answer. If you have a different understanding than the district, at least they would know you just had a different understanding of the term, not a poor understanding of the construct.