sylvan? huntington learning center?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by HufflePuff, Oct 15, 2007.

1. HufflePuff

HufflePuff Cohort

Oct 15, 2007

anyone ever work for one of them? i have an interview with each this week and am just curious if anyone had a good experience working there. i am currently an aide and need more $ and experience, thus the reason i am applying to these places. thanks! :)

3. desari

desari Rookie

Oct 16, 2007

If you are gonna work as an aide at Sylvan it is an easy job. Teaching there is a different story. Though I am only speaking of the ones here in OC Cali. Most have nasty people running them. Only one has someone I like.
    I can not say anything about the other one you mentioned, though.

4. HufflePuff

HufflePuff Cohort

Oct 16, 2007

i'm looking to teach. i am an aide in a school district currently.

5. desari

desari Rookie

Oct 16, 2007

in order to teach in Sylvan you have to have your teaching credential. Without it you can not teach. That is unless you are currently working on it. Some Center Directors will let that slip in.

6. HufflePuff

HufflePuff Cohort

Oct 17, 2007

yea i have mine. i couldn't land a teaching job, that's why i'm an aide and looking for some more experience.

7. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Oct 17, 2007

I have never taught at Sylvan but did have 2 children that went through the program. The director kept asking if I would teach some upper level math courses because they are always short in that area. I did not go to work for the same reason most do not--I can make 3x the money doing private tutoring. For the most part, the teachers have 3-4 students at a time doing pre-approved activities. The teacher checks the work and hands out rewards. There is really very little teaching involved in this process. It is very expensive to send a child herebut the teachers make a little more than mimimum wage.

8. teachtech

teachtech Rookie

Oct 17, 2007

I worked from home through Sylvan. It was all online. You have a headset with a microphone so you can talk with the student and the lessons are all there for the student -- you see it when they log in. You also get a writing tablet so you can write on the computer what you want both of you to see. It was a neat experience -- pay was OK, but I didn't have to go anywhere! That was nice!

9. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Oct 17, 2007

I was thinking of taking a job there teaching while I'm getting my NJ license---I'll have my NY state license by then and I plan on living back home in NJ for awhile. I thought this might be a good way to start earning some cash to help pay back loans while also gaining some experience.

I knew one lady who worked at one of these and she really enjoyed it. It's probably just depends on the location and the people you work with. I like the idea of working on line too since I've been doing alot of online work since 2001.

10. excite

excite Rookie

Oct 17, 2007

Hi HufflePuff: I work at a Huntington in NJ and I really love it. The kids and other teachers are great. Sometimes I work one-on-one with students and other times it's a 4:1 ratio. All of the books and materials are there for you.

I have had a different experience than chemteach. I don't just check answers, but actually teach the students skills for school. We don't have any rewards for them either. Also, their curriculum and system really work! I have seen it firsthand...failing students coming to our center and then improving their grades!

Which Huntington do you have an interview for?

11. HufflePuff

HufflePuff Cohort

Oct 17, 2007

well i had the interview with sylvan today and it went well. they asked me like one question lol. i am going tomorrow to observe. the pay is actually more than i would make at huntington (i interviewed with one in another town). so yea...i'll see how that goes and my meeting with huntington and keep you informed.

keep the insight comin! :)

teachtech....how did you go about doing the online teaching? i would LOVE to do that!

excite: northern jersey. sorry...don't want to get too specific b/c you never know whose reading! :)

12. cmw

cmw Groupie

Oct 17, 2007

I worked at Sylvan several years ago. I did not like the set up...3 kids on different levels and 1 teacher, always short on books, no real teaching - just book work, noisy due to 6 teachers in 1 room, children did not care and often were rowdy, bad pay $9. I much preferred private turtoring. Schools often get grants for after school tutoring. That may be an option and a way into a school too. :2cents:

13. teachtech

teachtech Rookie

Oct 17, 2007

If you go to esylvan.com there is a link that will give you more information. I had a phone interview and then I was working soon afterwards. I started having one student, then as time went on I gradually worked with 2 and then 3. They have a training which is also online with a live person and that person explains how to present the curriculum to the student. I loved that there was no planning and you don't have to deal with the parents at all either. A downfall was that you didn't know who you would have until 15 minutes before you started nor did you know what you would teach until the student logged on. As you get used to doing it, it really didn't matter that you didn't know what it was.

14. sasafras1000

sasafras1000 Rookie

Oct 20, 2007

Did you take the job at Sylvan? I worked at one in Michigan. I liked it, but it was hard work. It was a lot of documentation and book keeping, plus it was always a surprise what you would teach that day. I sometimes found it hard to balance three different kids on 3 different subjects and keep them all busy. It is very different from classroom teaching, but I learned to appreciate what students struggled with. It also helped my patience level too because you have to keep teaching something until the child masters it. All in all it was a good part time job.

15. HufflePuff

HufflePuff Cohort

Oct 21, 2007

i decided to take sylvan. i didn't accept yet, but after some thought, i decided on it. it's only 2 days a week and my philosophy is always...if i don't like it, i'll quit! so i am going to give it a whirl and it stinks, i'll find something else. huntington pays less and seemed very shady so....yep! thanks!