Syllabus

Discussion in 'Sixth Grade' started by o84blondie, Aug 13, 2007.

1. o84blondie

o84blondie Rookie

Aug 13, 2007

I have been all over the forums looking for the thread I know I read sometime last week about syllabi. I only found one geared toward high school students. If anyone has the link, I would appreciate it. If not, do any of you 6th grade teachers use a syllabus and what is on it?

3. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Aug 14, 2007

Would you like to see my grade 7 syllabus?

4. o84blondie

o84blondie Rookie

Aug 15, 2007

5. Dynamite Boys

Dynamite Boys Companion

Aug 15, 2007

I would love to see your syllabus as well . . . if that's okay!

6. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Aug 15, 2007

Course Syllabus
    QMS 7th Grade: Aqua Team
    Social Studies 7: Ancient Civilizations 2007-2008

Course Topics:
    • Prehistory
    • Ancient Mesopatamia
    • Ancient Egypt
    • Ancient Phoenicia and the Minoans (also the Myceans)
    • Ancient Israel
    • Ancient India
    • Ancient China
    • Ancient Greece
    • Ancient Rome

Course Goals:
    Please see grade seven standards pamphlet, that was distributed seperately.

Student Supplies:
    Students must come prepared to class each day with the following:
    • COVERED textbook.
    • Pen (blue or black only!) or Pencil.
    • 1.5 inch 3-ring binder. (To be used as a modified interactive notebook)
    • 20 Sheet Protectors
    • Supply of 8.5 by 11 loose-leaf paper for binder.
    • Student Agenda
    • Optional: Crayons, Colored Pencils, Rulers, Markers, Art Paper, etc. for special projects (I only have a limited supply.)

After School Office Hours:
    I am avaliabe Monday-Thursday afterschool untill at least 3:00 Monday-Thursday and on Friday untill 2:30. If you are coming after school please sign up on the clip board so I know you are coming.

Make-up Work:
    Students have two days for each day absent to make-up all work (in accordance with school handbook). This includes quizzes, tests, and assignments. Please note, that being absent before a test, quiz, or assignment due date does not exclude you for taking that test or quiz on time or turning the assignment in on time. Make arrangements to see me when you are absent to makeup all tests and quizzes, after school. Please consult the "I was Absent Binder", course website, or your copy of the weekly syllabus to find out what assignments you missed and check the class folder for handouts.

Late Work:
    Any work not ready to be turned in or checked off when I am ready to do so is late. You get 3 lates per quarter allowing you to turn in any assignment late without penalty.Use them sparingly.After your three "free lates" expire late work earns a grade of 0%.

Plagarism:
    Plagiarism will not be tolerated. In the even of plagiarism, parents and the administration will be notified. Students will be able to make up the assignment for a 30% reduction in grade. Second offenses result in an automatic zero.

Behavior and Conduct:
    I expect students to behave in a proper manner by respecting all school rules, property, teachers, and other students. Please no swearing, touching materials without permission, writing on my board with out permission, or going in my desk. Violations in school rules or disrespectful remarks towards anyone or anything will result in a detention or possible referral. We do a lot of fun hands on activities, projects and games in this course, if you do not behave appropriately during our fun activities, we will stop and go straight to book work, end of story! On a more positive note, I do hand out candy, prizes, stickers, and homework passes to good students!

Grading:
    Course grades will be determined using the following categories:

-Tests 35%
    -Homework: 15%
    -Quizzes: 15%
    -Classwork and Interactive Notebook Assignments: 25%
    -End of Unit Notebook Checks: 10%.

Tests are weighted as 35% of the term grade, major projects and papers also fit into this category. Students can expect a test or major assignment (projects/papers) every 2-3 weeks, with about 4-6major assignments per quarter. A day of review is also done before each test. Tests usually compose of multiple choice, matching, fill-in the blank, modified true/false, identifications, a few extra credit, and short answer questions. All test grades, including projects and papers that are graded using a rubric are worth 100 points.

Quizzes are weighed as 15% of the term grade; you can expect approximately 1-2 quizzes within each unit, medium sized projects and essays also fit into this category. Regular quizzes will be given weekly and will consist of approximately 15-20 of the test questions listed above. Quiz grades are also out of 100 points. Quizzes can also be announced or unannounced.

Homework is weighted as 15% of the term grade; you can expect almost nightly homework, but I don not give homework on the weekends. Your homework will usually consist of reading and taking notes, section reviews, finishing classwork, small projects/essays, working on long term assignments, or worksheets. Daily homework will be spot checked for a grade out of 10 points. Graded assignments will be worth 20-40 points.

Classwork and Interactive Notebook assignments are weighed as 25% of the term grade. This includes any small project done in class, any worksheet done mostly in class, all notebook assignments, and all other in-class activities. Be aware that not all work done in class will be graded, but much will. Graded in-class work will be worth 20-100 points.

Unit binder checks are weighted as 10% of your tem grade. You are expected to maintain you binder according to the posted table of contents on the board. Please keep all papers in this order and use your sheet protectors to hold each unit’s cover page. Following each unit’s cover page should be that units table of contents page listing all assignments for that unit. Binders will be graded at the end of each unit and are worth 100 points.

Miscellaneous Information:
    • Never put anything on my desk, ever!
    • If you are not in the room and need to turn an assignment in place it in the “turn-in” box.
    • I will do my best to return daily assignments and quizzes by the next class period, smaller projects/essays within two days, tests within three days, and larger papers/projects within a week.
    • Respect me and I will respect you.
    • Participate in all classroom activities (we do a lot of act it outs and plays!) and your grade will be affected positively.
    • I reserve the right to add to this syllabus at any time.
    • I will go over the layout of our classroom and a basic tour during our first class meetings.