Syllabus

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by inlovewithwords, Jul 16, 2007.

1. inlovewithwords

inlovewithwords Companion

Jul 16, 2007

I will be teaching 9th graders and I would like to instill in them some organizational skill and to make sure that they are accountable for what is expected of them. I want to give them a syllabus maybe about every 2 weeks with lessons and homework assignments. Do you think this is a good idea? Maybe some of you have done this and can show me an example or something. It would be extremely helpful!

3. hernandoreading

hernandoreading Comrade

Jul 16, 2007

I give my students a "Weekly Plans Sheet" every Monday that has all the assignments (classwork & homework) for the week. The students like it because it helps them keep up, even if they have been absent. Drop me a pm & I'll be happy to send you a couple of samples.

4. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 16, 2007

I think it's a great idea if you're not me! I find myself tweaking my plans all the time... if I committed to a plan more than week in advance, I'd be in trouble!

Do you have a class webpage? Maybe you could post a syllabus there where it would be a little easier to tweak. You could post a caveat stating that this syllabus is tentative and subject to change. Also, you wouldn't be using any extra paper this way, and we all need to reduce our consumption!

5. deserttrumpet

deserttrumpet Comrade

Jul 16, 2007

I filled out a blank calendar and handed it out. I told them that things could change, but this was what I was planning on doing with them.

6. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 16, 2007

Some years I give them a "week at a glance" outline, with the provision that it's subject to change.

They love having the overview.

I tend to do it when I've had the same prep for several years in a row and can do a decent job of predicting how long the topics will take.

In other words, not this year :)