Syllabus for class

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by k.contreras, Jul 4, 2006.

1. k.contreras

k.contreras Companion

Jul 4, 2006

I was wondering what you all thought about having a syllabus for a 2nd grade class. I have lots of different handouts and notes I'd like to get across to parents and students and thought about organizing it into a syllabus instead. What do you all think? Have any of you ever created a syllabus for your classroom?

3. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Jul 4, 2006

I think you can accomplish this by doing a newsletter for second grade. I am not teaching yet, so don't know if a syllabus would be useful. My own feeling is being it's second grade a more parent friendly format would be a newsletter where you could address topics studied in class, etc.

4. Beezus

Beezus Cohort

Jul 5, 2006

I agree-- a newsletter is a more friendly format for parents. I know most of my 2nd graders parents probably have not had experience with a syllabus-- it might be overwhelming to them. I'd go with the newsletter.

5. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Jul 5, 2006

Speaking of which- does any one have a sample format of a newsletter that they wouldn't mind sharing? You can PM me. Thanks in advance!

6. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 5, 2006

My district gives each family a curriculum 'guide' for their student's grade level at back to school night. It lists the key concepts taught in each content area.

7. k.contreras

k.contreras Companion

Jul 5, 2006

search on microsoft templets. I found one.

8. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Jul 5, 2006

thank you:)

9. bam451

bam451 Rookie

Jul 5, 2006

I would like to see an example too!

10. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jul 5, 2006

Our county provides a book to each parent. I hope this is what you are talking about -- it lists long term and short term goals. I will find the website and link it.

Here it is:

http://www.gwinnett.k12.ga.us/aks.nsf?OpenDatabase&0~QuickLinks

11. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 6, 2006

Wow- cool informative site! I like how you can click for grade level and each content area. Great way to keep families informed!:p

12. WITeach

WITeach Cohort

Jul 6, 2006

Miss Frizzle, if you have Microsoft Publisher it has some great newsletter templates. :)

13. PegL

PegL New Member

Jul 6, 2006

My third graders get some information on the first day of school such as how to correctly head a paper...classroom rules and various other kid friendly information that they need right off the bat. A packet goes home that very first day with a parent welcome letter, introducing me and my philosophy of teaching and giving a short overview of the year...and I mean short-one page. I attach an overview of my spelling program and the rules/behaviors sheet. On top of that packet, I attach a 1/2 sheet stating that both the parents and students read over and discuss the papers in the packet and sign and return the 1/2 sheet by a given date. I keep this sheet for the duration of the year. Then when Mrs. Smith says, "I didn't know this or that," (things that I addressed in this packet) I can tell her it was in the packet that she returned the signed slip for. At curriculum night I am able to touch on some of the things in the packet but basically all parents have been made aware of my expectations.

14. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Jul 6, 2006

I have to check it out!:love: