Syllabus flexibility

Discussion in 'High School' started by NewHS, Jul 18, 2007.

1. NewHS

NewHS New Member

Jul 18, 2007

Hi -- this is my first post, I will be starting my teaching position next month and wondered if anybody had advice. What are some thoughts concerning passing out a syllabus at the beginning of the year (for high school US and World History)? And , is this a super-detailed syllabus for each week of the year? Or is just a "general" sort of syllabus ok?

Last, is it ok to post a syllabus on-line?

Thanks a lot, I'm feeling kind of overwhelmed.

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 18, 2007

Hi and welcome!!

A general syllabus-- these are the chapters we're covering, these are the topics you'll see-- is fine.

But, as a first year teacher, you probably want to avoid incredible detail. Timing sometimes becomes a problem even for those of us who have been in the classroom for a while. So I think I would avoid incredible detail; it's almost inevitable that it will have to be changed.

Some of the history teachers in my school hand out numbered homework sheets. Since they're not dated, they provide for a bit more flexiblity than what you propose.

Let us know how else we can help. We've all been there!

4. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 18, 2007

Giving the kids a sense of where things are going to go and in more or less what order is, I think, a very good idea.

5. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Jul 18, 2007

- I provide a syllabus that contains a basic course outline (kust a list of topic), but more importantly addresses all policies, expectations, and rules of my class/course. It also deeply covers grading.
    - I also give a weekly syllabus which includes the topic of each class, what we did that, class, homework, and dates.

6. NewHS

NewHS New Member

Jul 19, 2007

Thanks to all!

Thanks to everybody for great suggestions - I feel better, and have a good idea of how I want to do it now. I really appreciate it.

7. Bitsy Griffin

Bitsy Griffin Companion

Jul 19, 2007

I leave my dates empty. That way they see order, but we fill the dates in as we go.