Syllabus...1st day

Discussion in 'Middle School / Junior High' started by LMT, Jul 5, 2010.

1. LMT

LMT Rookie

Jul 5, 2010

So, I'm busy planning lessons for my 7th and 8th graders. I'm moving right along in that area...but I am COMPLETELY at a loss as to what I should hand out the first day as a type of syllabus.

Do you all have something to share as an example?

Obviously, I'll go over class expectations and procedures, but do you type all this up for them? A letter home to mom and dad? I'm just not sure how things work in middle school!

We have block planning and I doplan on starting off with a lesson (lab safety and expectations) that they will be tested on at the end of the week...but if just feel "stuck".
    :help:

3. Ms. Geography

Ms. Geography Comrade

Jul 5, 2010

We start school on the 18th or 19th of August (I don't have the school calendar in front of me), so it's in the middle of the week. The first day starts with a group meeting: all students, teachers & the principal. This takes about 30 or so minutes and then the students begin their schedule for the day. I give them a list of what supplies they need, show them how I want them to do the daily question, start rules & procedures, and make sure they are where they are suppose to be at that time of the day. We are on a 45 minute schedule & have eight periods a day. The first day goes pretty fast and there will be schedule changes in those first few days so you might want to take that into consideration too.

4. outsidethelines

outsidethelines Companion

Jul 10, 2010

I am going to type up a few things that I will hand out to my 7th/8th grade science classes in a packet. The cover page will be a letter to parents asking them to read over all the information and discuss it with their child. I want the bottom of this page signed and returned to me so I know they read it. They will then keep the rest of the sheets in page protectors in the front of their notebook for future reference.

One page is a general syllabus where I have a brief outline of what we will cover this year. I also include my procedures and grading policies on this sheet.

Another page is specific classroom rules and procedures. I am going to present/go over this on a powerpoint and have them fill in the rules themselves.

Finally, I will give them a list of lab safety rules and reminders. We will go over this more in-depth later, but I like to go ahead and touch on this right off the bat.

5. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 10, 2010

I don't run off anything.

The kids and the parents know proper classroom behavior. I go over rules and dates with the parents at Meet the Teacher night a week after school starts.

6. NUMB3RSFAN

NUMB3RSFAN Rookie

Jul 13, 2010

My syllabus includes the following information:

1. Supplies needed each day - I include fun things like "your brain" and "your COMPLETED homework".
    2. Topics covered throughout the year
    3. Homework policy
    4. Tests and Quizzes information
    5. Extra Credit policy
    6. Grading Policy
    7. Class Rules and consequences for breaking the rules

The last page is a letter to parents that asks them to review the syllabus with their student and gives my contact information. I also throw in the standard start of school year lines about "looking forward to working together towards a successful school year." I also ask that the parent and the student sign and return the bottom portion of the letter. I count it as their first assignment (5pts). I keep these in a file so that I can refer to it later in the year if needed. They come in handy when I have a parent arguing that they were never informed of something and I can pull our their signature saying that they have read and understood my procedures. :)

7. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Jul 13, 2010

If you PM me I can send you a copy of my syllabus?

8. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Jul 14, 2010

My district prepares a syllabus for us, which goes hand-in-hand with the scope & sequence. I usually end up cutting out an awful lot of rhetoric; otherwise, it would be about 6 pages long.

I'd send you the link, but they helpfully haven't uploaded the new ones yet (despite the fact that they were supposed to be published 2 weeks ago).

9. LMT

LMT Rookie

Jul 16, 2010

Thank you so much!! :) That was very helpful to see and give me some ideas!

10. Rockguykev

Rockguykev Connoisseur

Jul 18, 2010

I send home an "instruction book" for the class, not so much a syllabus. We are required to do so by our admins and honestly I just want to start off a dialogue with parents right away.

I don't go over it with students really at all except the parts that are abnormal from other classes (using my website essentially.) Otherwise, they know how to behave in a classroom.

Year in and year out I feel so lucky that all the other teachers on campus do syllabus day one as it makes it so very easy for me to show students why my class will be their favorite.

11. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jul 18, 2010

:thumb:

12. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Jul 18, 2010

If you PM me, I will send you a copy of my syllabus.

13. muinteoir

muinteoir Companion

Jul 18, 2010

My first week

We had 49 minute minute periods, so take that into consideration.

My first week of school looked something like this:

Day 1 (Usually a Wednesday):

1. I had a ppt up as the kids walked in. It said

AGENDA for date

A. find a seat
    B. introduce yourself to anyone you do not know
    C. have your schedule out on your desk

2. I greeted students at the dor, welcomed them to science, asked them to go inside and follow the directions on the ptt.

3. When the bell rang, I walked inside, thanked the students for following directions so well. I then told them that our 'entering the classroom procedure' was just what they had done. They were to come in, check the agenda, and follow the directions on the ppt EVERYDAY. I asked them to tell the person sitting next to them the procedure for entering the classroom.

4. I checked roll and schedules. When I was sure everyone was in the correct room and I had marked attendance and no show records, I was ready to begin class for real.

5. I assigned seats alphabetically. It was just easier for me to learn
    names that way. I quizzed them on the entering class procedure, passed out the parent letter, supply list and science handbook. I made a BIG DEAL out of the hand book. It was to be their go to reference all year. We briefly went over the contents: rules, policies and procedure and student reference materials. Their homework was to learn the three rules of science class.

6. I spent a couple of minutes explaing why procedures were so important - they made the class run smoothly and safely and helped everyone be successful in science class.

7. I told them that we would be learning and practicing our everyday procedures until they were second nature to us. Quick oral quiz about the start of class procedures.

8. Since this was science class, and we were going to do many labs, it was essential that we learn the procedures for lab work.

A. How to get lab supplies. We went over it, then the students went to get the supplies for this lab: http://www.science-
    class.net/Lessons/NOS/observations_in_science.pdf

B. Group work procedures. - Students conduct lab. I didn't pick up any papers or anything, it was jsut to practice procedures.

C. Cleaning up procedures. - Students put materials away.

9. We reviewed start of class, getting materiaals, group work and cleaning up procedures.

10. By now class is almost over, so I explained the leaving class
    procedure. I dismmis the students, not the bell. And I do not dismiss until the room is in order.

11. I remind students of what they need to do, thank them for such a wonderful start to the new year and dismiss them when the bell rings.

Day 2

The ppt reads:

A. Find your assigned seat.
    B. Take out signed papers.
    C. Take out supplies.
    D. Take out student handbook.

1. I am standing at the door when the students come in. I remind them of the start of class procedure, ask them to check the agenda and find their assigned seat.

2. I take roll, check for new students,

3. Explain collecting papers procedure; collect signed parent letters, pick up supplies.

4. We review procedures from the day before.

5. Go over rules.

6. Go over policies.

7. Discuss lab safety. Review the safety contract: http://www.science-
    class.net/Lessons/NOS/Safety/Science%20Safety%20Contract.pdf.

Do the safety activity: http://www.science-
    class.net/Lessons/NOS/Safety/safety_activity.pdf

8. Assign reading policies and getting contract signed as homework.

9. Review end of class procedure.

10. Dismiss class.

Day 3

The ppt reads:

A. Find your assigned seat.
    B. Take out signed papers.
    C. Take out supplies.
    D. Take out student handbook.

1. I am standing at the door when the students come in. I remind them of the start of class procedure, ask them to check the agenda and find their assigned seat.

2. I take roll, check for new students,

3. Review collecting papers procedure; collect signed parent letters, pick up supplies.

4. We review procedures, polices, rules.

5. Do Marble Ramp activity: http://www.science-
    class.net/Lessons/NOS/marble_ramp.pdf to practice procedures.

6. Process activity as a class.

7. Remind students to bring journal on Monday.

8. Review procedures.

9. Dismiss class.

Day 4

Ppt reads:

AGENDA
    A. Take out signed papers
    B. Take out your journal
    C. Use a marker to put your name on the outside of your journal ( I have 'table boxes' of supplies on each lab table.

2. I take roll, do whatever administrivia is still to be done.

3. I explain the journaling process and procedure.

4. The next ppt slide has the first journal question, students write and we discuss as a class.

5. Explain the procedure for storing journals in the classroom; put journals away.

6. Begin content instruction; reviewing, practicing, explaining procedures over and over and over.

The rest of the year

Ppt reads:

AGENDA - whatever it is for the day

Journal Question - whatever it is for the day

1. I am standing at the door, greeting students, reminding them to pick up their journals and get busy on the question.

2. When the tardy bell rings, I come inside and take attendance while students are working on the journal question and copying the agenda into their planners (school policy)

3. When attendance is submitted, I show a possible answer to the journal questions, students can change their response any way they want to and we spend a very brief time dicussing it.

4. Start content portion of class.

We review procedures constantly for several weeks. As new situations arise; like the first time I bring laptop computers into the room, we go over the procedure for that situation.

It's a LOT of up front work, but it pays off big time in the end!

14. Sunflowers

Sunflowers Rookie

Jul 19, 2010

I am just starting my first year teaching, but this is an idea I have been throwing around lately: let the students be a part of the procedure-making process. I haven't started orientation or anything yet so I don't know what requirements my school has, but I've read some research that suggests that coming up with rules and procedures together helps students feel like they are part of the classroom family and responsible for its success.

For example, my school is made up of "houses," which are basically teams. I'm going to play this up with my students and ask them what they feel makes a family, and that the classroom will be like a family. I teach in a high-poverty Texas border town, so while money isn't everywhere, the strong Mexican tradition of family is, so I'm going to play that up. I teach English so it will be a great way for me to get to know them and their background information, while introducing preventative classroom management.

15. apple25

apple25 Comrade

Jul 23, 2010

pm me and I will send you a copy of my grade 9 math welcome letter!

16. Aussiegirl

Aussiegirl Habitué

Jul 23, 2010

Thank you for sharing this!

17. ddcane

ddcane New Member

Jul 27, 2010

It's not letting me PM, but I'd love a copy of the first day letter and syllabus..... thanks in advance if you can PM me

18. kstar03

kstar03 Companion

Jul 31, 2010

I just tweaked my syllabus/expectations for my 8th grade class. PM if you would like a copy :)