Switching schools mid-year

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Preschool0929, Jan 6, 2015.

1. Preschool0929

Preschool0929 Cohort

Jan 6, 2015

I've been teaching a self-contained preschool special ed. class for 3 years now. It's been hard and I've been looking to leave at the end of this year. Yesterday, an admin at my school told me about an open K position at another school in our district and asked if I would want her to recommend me to the P. I said yes, and now have an interview on Thursday! The P said he wants someone to start on monday, eek! My class this year is so severe and I would feel horrible for leaving, but I feel like this is a great opportunity to try K.

Has anyone changed mid year and have any good/bad stories? Apparently the K class is a handful because they've basically had different subs the entire year so far. Is it a horrible idea to try to teach a new grade level mid year?

3. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Jan 7, 2015

No. It's a small step up in age, not Pre-K to HS. The time for them to totally accept you as the "real" teacher may vary from first day of the year acceptance, but if you are up for a challenge without pulling out your hair, I would accept it as a compliment about my perceived abilities and make the switch. Good luck.

4. Bella2010

Bella2010 Habitué

Jan 7, 2015

Sounds like you'd be going out on favorable terms. I say go for it. :)