Switching rooms (not me!)

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by DrivingPigeon, Sep 15, 2013.

1. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Sep 15, 2013

I have a friend who was hired to teach kindergarten in a nearby district one week before school started. The first week of school she learned that they would be adding a new section of first grade, and she would have to move her classroom to the music room. So, the music teacher packed up her room one morning before school, and my friend was planning on moving in after school.

Then another kindergarten teacher approached her after school, stressed out that she had so many major behavior problems in her classroom. She asked if my friend wanted to team teach. It was approved by the principal, so my friend moved into this teacher's room after school. She actually ended up taking almost all of her stuff home, since the other teacher had her room set up already.

She sent me a text on Friday that they were now going to turn the computer lab into a classroom for her to move into. I haven't actually spoken to her yet, so I don't know the details about why she won't be team teaching anymore.

Isn't this just INSANE?!! Imagine trying to teach routines and procedures to a group of kindergartners whose classroom has changed 3 times in two weeks. Not to mention all of the time and effort my friend has put into setting up a classroom quickly, taking everything home, and now bringing everything back to school and setting up a new classroom. (Plus she has a 6-month old at home, and just found out she is pregnant.)

Has anyone ever experienced something like this at your school? It really makes me wonder what administrators are thinking sometimes. If my school had to add another section after the school year started, my principal would probably just put that class in any empty classroom, even if it wasn't right next to all of the other classrooms for that grade level.

3. Preschool0929

Preschool0929 Cohort

Sep 15, 2013

Last year we were under construction, so when a new k class had to be added, it was put in an empty classroom in the 5th grade hallway. But, a few months later, construction was finished so they moved her closer to the K team. I can't imagine moving so many times in a short period. Hopefully things settle down for her soon :)

4. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Sep 15, 2013

I've never heard of someone having to switch that many times-that's crazy. I'm surprised the parents are not questioning those decisions.

5. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Sep 15, 2013

Yet, maybe? This is nuts. Friday we added another K room after our 10-day headcount was up. About 7 of us went to school yesterday to scramble and help this new teacher get set up. When I had to leave after 3 hours the room was barely halfway done. It's a LOT of work and stress, I feel bad for your friend. Hopefully she had help.

6. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Sep 15, 2013

That sounds awful! I hope the other teachers help her set up. I do somewhat understand about not wanting a teacher to be off by them self and the little kids in the middle of all the if kids causes all kinds of problems (we've had that situation before).

7. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Sep 15, 2013

Eek... bad situation. I know I'll have something like that next year when my school is under construction, but kids and parents will know going in that things will be in flux all year. Hope everything works out okay.

8. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Sep 15, 2013

This year alone: I had a friend who spent 2 weeks setting up a 6th grade classroom, only to get moved to kindergarten a couple of days before school started.

Another friend had been recalled, grade level unknown other then it was either K or 1st. She set up a generic classroom, found out it was K. She was told on a Thursday that she was laid off again. Took her stuff home. The next evening she got called back, to the same school, same grade, same room. School started on Monday.

Insane!

9. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 15, 2013

I'm surprised too. How disruptive to everyone involved!

I have a question about the team teaching...were they combining two classes of kiddos in one room?

10. Pencil Monkey

Pencil Monkey Devotee

Sep 15, 2013

That has to be rough. I have to switch my room too. But it is due to construction.

11. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Sep 15, 2013

Yes, they were. They only have about 13 kids per class.

I'm surprised parents haven't complained, too. Maybe they have, and I just don't know about it, since I haven't actually spoken to her in about a week.

For 2 years all of the 2nd grade classrooms were upstairs, except for mine. There just wasn't an empty classroom upstairs. Now that I'm upstairs I like it a lot more than being alone, but it really wasn't that bad being away from my team.

12. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Sep 15, 2013

I feel her pain! I moved 5 times in one year!

I was in a trailer at one school, moved to the newly created early education group at another school, moved rooms due to construction, moved back due to construction, and moved again at the end of the year when a new school opened. I have been there 12 years, thank God! The best part was moving into a brand new room without anyone else's junk in it!

13. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Sep 15, 2013

I moved my classroom 3 times in one year due to construction. It was horrible -- especially since I had collected more stuff from other teachers each time we were moved.:lol:

14. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Sep 15, 2013

:eek: