Switching jobs

Discussion in 'General Education' started by mom2teach, Aug 16, 2016.

1. mom2teach

mom2teach Rookie

Aug 16, 2016

I took a position at a low income school in the 7th grade after my contract was not renewed last year. The last 2 weeks have been awful. I have 36 in my largest class, and am completely overwhelmed by the disrespect. I am barely teaching but trying to manage behavior. A friend contacted me today and a school I was a TA in while getting my masters has a opening for a class they are adding because numbers are too big. I already contacted the principal and I am meeting with her tomorrow. I am conflicted, it is not in my nature to leave a job like this. At the same time the district I am with does not do contracts. Has anyone ever found themselves in this position? thanks

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 17, 2016

If you don't have a contract and this job isn't a fit for you, go.
    In this market, your current school will be able to find someone who is willing to take on the challenge. You need to go where you can be successful.

4. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Aug 17, 2016

I agree with czacza...if you don't have a contract....GO!

5. kajalsengupta

kajalsengupta Rookie

Aug 27, 2016

It will be very difficult to continue to teach which needs a lot of concentration and effort. In a class like you described it will be only managing discipline and not teaching as such. It is very very frustrating and drains you of all energy. Not worth doing it provided you have other options. Good luck.

6. brigidy

brigidy Comrade

Aug 28, 2016

I did almost the same thing this year. It was hard making that decision because once I say I am going to do something, I do it. Sometimes you just have to do what is best for you.