switching handwriting styles

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by Tasha, Aug 4, 2010.

1. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Aug 4, 2010

We just got an e-mail that our new ELA adoption uses ball and stick instead of D' Nealian and we are switching to teaching ball and stick this year. The only problem is that - - - I write in D'Nealian and I don't know if I CAN write in ball and stick! We will be getting a new handwriting adoption next year, but this year we officially have D'Nealian :confused:

3. starbucks

starbucks Comrade

Aug 4, 2010

Thats funny because I can't imagine writing with D'Nealian! I hadn't realized until I started reading message boards at how many schools use D'Nealian. You will be fine.

4. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Aug 4, 2010

Haha, are you in my district? We are going back to ball and stick as well.

5. MrsM7

MrsM7 Rookie

Aug 5, 2010

We switched from D'Nelian to Handwriting Without Tears two years ago. I was teaching first grade then and thought the kids would be confused, but they adapted well and so will you. I still have some poems and charts written in D'Nelian that I still use. The kids do fine with it (with the exception of lower case k) because they are exposed to many different fonts and texts in the real world.

6. myKroom

myKroom Habitué

Aug 5, 2010

I'm in the same boat!!!! Mine is because I'm switching schools. I was taught D'Nealian in elementary school and when I started teaching, that's what my school used! My new job uses ball and stick! I'll get used to it...but it will be strange after using D'Nealian my whole life!

7. NewGirl23

NewGirl23 Rookie

Aug 5, 2010

We are making the switch also. I have two fears. First, I am going to have to stop putting "monkey tails" on every letter and second, ALL of my worksheets are in D'Nealian so I will have to go back and find then again in block. I think it will be better in the long run....but the transition is always difficult.

8. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Aug 5, 2010

I see you're in Texas also. Hmmm.

9. MissMaurie

MissMaurie Companion

Aug 5, 2010

I'm in Texas and my district is switching to ball and stick as well. Some people are freaking out about changing all their posters, etc. but I am not. Eventually I will change my things out but I definitely think that being exposed to multiple styles of handwriting is good.

10. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Aug 5, 2010

I agree... they need to be exposed to all sorts of fonts.