Switching grades?

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by I love teaching, Sep 30, 2017.

1. I love teaching

I love teaching New Member

Sep 30, 2017

Hi guys! Currently, I teach K at my school and LOVE it!!! But...my school is opening a new Pre-k center this fall and I am really debating moving down. The benefits would be having only 15 students per classroom vs. 24 and more time for the "fun stuff"- learning through song, imagination, and art. We will be in a brand new facility with nice spacious rooms vs the small ones I have now but I'm really worried I will hate the move down. Is the maturity difference btw pre-k and k a huge 1? Has anyone moved from either k to pre-k or vice versa and either loved or hated it? Anyone have any insight that would be helpful? I'm excited about the change but nervous because I love my team and am scared about being what feels like a 1st year teacher all over again.

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Sep 30, 2017

Welcome to A to Z! Your threads in two different forums have been merged into one. A to Z Forums policy discourages multiple threads on the same topic at the same time by the same member, on grounds that it's easier for everyone to keep up with one topic in one thread.

Veterans of A to Z don't tend to check for new threads forum by forum; instead, most of us use one of the "Recent Posts" links at the top of the page to bring up a list of threads in which something has been posted since the last time we checked.

(Oh, and you're not in trouble. I nearly always post this information in a case like this, by way of a public-service announcement.)

4. I love teaching

Sep 30, 2017

Thank you for letting me know! I'm new to this and wasn't totally sure how it worked!

5. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Sep 30, 2017

Is the 15 kids a legit cap or something they might expand if needed? That will make a difference.

6. I love teaching

Sep 30, 2017

I think they mean it! Maybe 16 at most. We have an extra classroom we can open if needed!

7. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Sep 30, 2017

All the sudden that 15 can become 19 when another salary is required.

8. I love teaching

Sep 30, 2017

Well, you are probably right about that... :/

9. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Oct 1, 2017

Depending on the set up of the program, it very well could be. In my state, PreK is capped at 20 with one teacher and one paraprofessional. It is most definitely a hard cap as going over is against DHS regulations for ratio.

10. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Oct 1, 2017

A hard cap at 15 sounds low. That's all I'm pointing out.

11. Preschool0929

Preschool0929 Cohort

Oct 1, 2017

Is it a public preschool classroom? Will you have ages 3-5? Will you also be the sped teacher?

I teach public preschool and serve as the sped and gen ed teacher for students 3-5. Writing IEPs, taking data, making visuals, using communication systems, managing intense behaviors.....it's a super different works from K at my school.

12. svassillion

svassillion Companion

Oct 1, 2017

I moved from PreK to K at the beginning of last year. The pros and cons are exactly what you mentioned. I truly value the increased maturity of Ks vs PreKs. It helps keep me more sane. And I also love being able to delve deeper into topics than I was able to do with preK. But I also miss the more lax schedule that allowed for much more play, song singing, game playing, etc. They are such valuable moments that I just don't have time for in K with all the extra pressure on student performance.

My suggestion would be to hold off on moving down. The opening of a new grade level or center can be very demanding and taxing. Let the kinks get worked out and reconsider the move after the first year or later on. PreK teachers come and go quickly, so I'm sure you wouldn't lose out on the opportunity for long.

And in regards to the student cap, I'm willing to bet that number will grow very quickly until it reaches the state cap. When I taught preK my supervisor was all about best practices, but when it came to funding the program ideals had to bend so the district could get the biggest bang for their buck.

AlwaysAttend likes this.