Switching from Public K to Daycare Pre-k?

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by lovetoteach08, Apr 15, 2010.

1. lovetoteach08

lovetoteach08 Rookie

Apr 15, 2010

Has anyone went from teaching kindergarten in a public school to teaching preschool in a private daycare/learning center? I'm considering doing this next school year and would appreciate hearing from you. Any advantages or disadvantages?

3. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Apr 16, 2010

Wouldn't it be a huge pay cut in most cases?

4. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Apr 16, 2010

In our area the daycares are open year round. Schools have summers off. I would think that teachers in public schools would make more money.

5. Rebecca1122

Rebecca1122 Comrade

Apr 16, 2010

It would definitely depend on the daycare. Some daycare pre-k's are babysitting and nothing more. In that situation, I think it would be hard to go from a public K teacher, to basically just a babysitter. However, other daycare have great pre-k programs and encourage learning and have curriculums and standards and it's not just a free for all. Then, that might be a good situation if you want to work with the little ones.
    But I think the pay cut, and the year round hours are also good things to think about! If you find a center that is a good match professionally and personally for you, it could be a great switch!

6. teacher36

teacher36 Comrade

Apr 16, 2010

I wouldn't give up a public school job in this economic climate. I'm trying to do the opposite of you (move from pre-k to a public elementary school) and am finding a lack of jobs!!!

7. orchid1967

orchid1967 New Member

Apr 16, 2010

I think the same.
    I have been with ACS child care for 10 years, teacher and later director
    We work all year around , pay is :( and lots of other issues
    I am trying to move from pre-k to a public elementary and am finding a lack of jobs

8. vbubbles1874

vbubbles1874 Companion

Apr 17, 2010

I would love to go to a public prek, but still have to sit for my certification. If you decide to go to a private prek program, make sure that you are willing to make some sacrifices.

Good luck!

9. lovetoteach08

lovetoteach08 Rookie

Apr 17, 2010

Thanks for all the thoughts. Now, I am thinking a new direction. I would like to open my own family daycare. I have enough money for the start up costs and I'll get to be my own boss.:D

10. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Apr 17, 2010

I can think of lots of negatives to having people in my house daily! You lose a lot of privacy, and you can never get away from work. There is a lot of wear and tear on your house. You use more by way of utilities, and your homeowner's insurance will cost you more money. You lose your summers, and your hours are loonggg. My home daycare provider I used for my girls was open 7AM-6PM. That's a long day. If you take more kids than you can fit in your car, you'll be stuck at your house for the bulk of your week. Many areas don't allowed licensed providers to drive kids at all. Licensing is another thing altogether - you have strangers telling you things as basic as how to arrange your furniture. And, on top of all of that, you won't see another adult ALL DAY.

Can you tell I'd hate that job?! Thank goodness there are people out there who love doing it, though!

11. teacher36

teacher36 Comrade

Apr 18, 2010

What don't you like about teaching Kindergarten in a public school?

12. lovetoteach08

lovetoteach08 Rookie

Apr 18, 2010

You lose a lot of privacy-not a big deal to me

You can never get away from work-and I don't have to drive the commute to work

There is a lot of wear and tear on your house-Only taking on 5 kids max

You use more by way of utilities, and your homeowner's insurance will cost you more money-and A LOT of stuff can be taken off on taxes

You lose your summers-I have to work summers to make ends meet anyway

Your hours are long-My hours are what I make them.

If you take more kids than you can fit in your car, you'll be stuck at your house for the bulk of your week-I live right next to 2 different parks.

Licensing is another thing altogether - you have strangers telling you things as basic as how to arrange your furniture.-Don't care lol

And, on top of all of that, you won't see another adult ALL DAY. -I feel like I barely get the chance to do that in a school building!

Everyone has the right to their own opinion :eek:)