Switching from middle school to high school.

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by Javab9, Jul 23, 2016.

1. Javab9

Javab9 New Member

Jul 23, 2016

I am hoping someone can give me some advice. I just got hired for my first teaching job. The position I took is for 7th grade science, and although I am excited to start my teaching career, I know from my experience as a substitute that the grade level is not right for me. I would prefer to teach high school. I never had any problems when I subbed in HS plus I find the curriculum far more interesting. I really don't see myself teaching middle school for very long. Looking back I know I should have giving it more thought before accepting. But after over a year of interviews that went nowhere I felt like I needed to take it. Do you think it would be hard to switch to high school after just one year of teaching middle school? Has anyone done it? If so, how did it go? Thanks in advance!

3. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 23, 2016

Never say never. My first job included grade 7, a grade I had no interest in (although I was coming from younger students). I dreaded it the first couple of months, tolerated it until Christmas, and then didn't mind it. By the end of the year, I had started discover the joy in the quirkiness of the age group and they have now become my favourites!

ready2learn likes this.
  4. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Jul 23, 2016

I taught 7th and moved to high school (though through a series of unpredictable events) and I'm much happier. Get a little experience, show your ability with classroom management, know your content, and plan to move up in the future.

5. ready2learn

ready2learn Comrade

Jul 23, 2016

I have never taught high school, so I cannot give advice there. I will say that I thought the same thing with 8th grade when I first started teaching. I student taught in 8th grade, and when that placement ended I was happy because I would never have to teach 8th grade again. After over a year of looking, I got an offer to teach 8th grade and had to take it. I spent my first 4 years teaching there and really enjoyed it. I hope you will enjoy 7th grade more than you think you will!

6. Javab9

Javab9 New Member

Jul 23, 2016

Thank you for your responses! I really do hope I learn to love it. Another thing is that the school is a 120 mile drive both ways. Traffic is terrible were I live so I'm estimating almost two hours each way. Moving is not an option right now. My question is; would it look bad if I move schools after just one year? If I'm able to find another position.

7. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 23, 2016

I can't imagine that commute! I'm sure that admin will be understanding about you wanting to make a move closer to home after the year.