Switching from elementary to middle?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by want2t, Jun 9, 2009.

1. want2t

want2t Rookie

Jun 9, 2009

I am currently working on my degree to become a teacher. I am still not sure if I want to teach elementary or middle school. If I was to pick elementary, but decided later on that I wanted to teach middle school, then what would that require? Would I just need to take the praxis for the specific subject area? I am not sure if every state is different. I am looking at teaching in NC. Thank you sooo much!

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jun 9, 2009

I'm not sure how it is in NC. I live in TX. When I received my degree it focused on elementary ed. I took the certification test for EC-4th grade. Later I decided to open my options more and took the 4-8 test for ELA and SS. At the end of this month I'm actually taking the test for 8-12 ELA. All you need here is to pass the exam.

4. JennM

JennM Rookie

Jun 9, 2009

Conundrum

I totally understand your conundrum. I also had a hard time choosing. I'm from NJ and here, it is easier to get dually certified when you start in the secondary program. I just took one extra grad class and the elementary PRAXIS to get a dual cert. for elementary and secondary (which includes middle school now). You might want to check out getting a secondary cert., because it will make you more marketable even if you aren't too interested in high school. I'm pretty sure every state has different requirements, so definitely set up a meeting with your adviser first :)

5. frogger

frogger Devotee

Jun 9, 2009

In NC your elem ed certification would cover up to 6th grade which is in middle school. To teach the other grades you would have to take the Praxis in that subject to teach it.

6. Blkjacq

Blkjacq Companion

Jun 9, 2009

I'm in AZ. I taught for 4 years in 3rd grade and then jumped up to 7th and 8th. My certificate was good for K-8, but I had to take the state certification test (AEPA) in the science area to be considered highly qualified. If I wanted to switch to social studies or another subject, I'd take that test.

7. Petite_Teacher

Petite_Teacher Companion

Jun 9, 2009

You could get your degree in elementary education then add on a middle grades licensure by taking the Praxis II in the are you are interested in teaching.

I would also look at the NC Dept of Public Instruction website online to answer any of your questions.

8. jorde0011

jorde0011 Rookie

Dec 9, 2015

Hi Jenn,

I'm also a teacher in NJ but currently not in a teaching position; I'm a Teacher Assistant but wanting very much to land a teaching position. I'm curious of your situation and hoping you can help me understand mine.

I am certified in Elem Ed K-6, but would like to be certified to teach Preschool as well. I know of some alternate route tracks in some of the districts here in NJ, but do you know how i could obtain certification to teach Preschool? Would I just have to take the Early Childhood Praxis or take a couple of classes at my former University (which was Kean)?

9. jorde0011

jorde0011 Rookie

Dec 9, 2015

Hi,

I am certified in Elem Ed K-6, but would like to be certified to teach Preschool as well. So you would advice for me to just take the Praxis II of Early Childhood Education in order to be licensed to apply for Preschool jobs and possibly getting hired?