Switching from elementary to middle??

Discussion in 'Secondary Education Archives' started by caprice999, Feb 19, 2007.

1. caprice999

caprice999 New Member

Feb 19, 2007

Hello,
    I was hoping that someone could inform me as to what a schedule is like for teaching middle school single subjects. I am currently working as a first grade teacher and have found that the little guys just aren't for me. I also like the idea of specializing in one academic area. I was wondering how many classes do you typically teach in a day? Do you seem to have more down time for planning? Does it seem difficult to connect with other teachers to plan?
    Thank you for your input.
    Caprice999

3. hp123

hp123 Comrade

Feb 19, 2007

What state do yout each in?

4. caprice999

caprice999 New Member

Feb 19, 2007

Georgia

5. hp123

hp123 Comrade

Feb 19, 2007

Not really sure....its funny I just posted a thread because I am in a High school prep program.....and think I want to teach k-2!

Can we switch!

6. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Feb 19, 2007

From my experience subbing, most schools give you at least 1 daily prep, sometimes a duty like covering cafeteria duty or hall duty or ISS, and you teach the same subject to five different classes. that's basically the same lesson 5 times (unless you are math and then you probably do different lessons). I'm currently in 6th grade where I teach science 3 times and I also teach a block of language arts. that is not the typical schedule from what I've seen elsewhere.

7. mrs.oz

mrs.oz Companion

Feb 19, 2007

I am a Pre-K teacher of 4 years and previously taught 1st grade for 6 years. I have also asked for a transfer.

8. Mrs. R.

Mrs. R. Connoisseur

Feb 20, 2007

My schedule as a 7th grade LA/SS teacher
    Period1: Free
    Period 2: Team
    Periods 3 & 4: LA Block
    Period 5: Lunch
    Periods 6 & 7: LA Block
    Period 8: Free
    Period 9: Social Studies
    Homeroom

9. historybuff91

historybuff91 Companion

Feb 20, 2007

My schedule:

1 Period : 8th Grade S.S.
    2 Period : 8th Grade S.S.
    3 Period : Free
    4 Period : 8th Grade S.S.
    5 Period : 7th Grade S.S.
    6 Period : Free
    7 Period : Lunch Duty
    8 Period : 7th Grade S.S.
    9 Period : Free

Each Period is 43 minutes.

10. Commartsy

Commartsy Companion

Feb 20, 2007

We're set up in 4, 90-minute blocks. "Core" teachers each teach 2 blocks of our core subject, then 1 block of a non-core class (health, reading, extra math, etc.) The other block is used for planning and meetings.

Special teachers (art, music, p.e., band, orchestra, computers) teach 6, 45- minute blocks and have 1, 90-minute block for planning and meetings.

11. CmsTigerGuy

CmsTigerGuy Rookie

Feb 20, 2007

I teach 7th grade, and my schedule goes something like this:

5 classes in my subject area, 1 planning period, homeroom, enrichment(basically a supervised study period), and an occasional duty.

12. pi lover

pi lover Rookie

Feb 21, 2007

I teach 7-9 math at a small school. I am the only teacher, so I plan by myself what will be taught for the year based on the state guidelines. This year I teach one period of 8th grade math, two periods of seventh grade math, one study skills class (like a study hall mostly), one high school pre-algrebra class, and one high school consumer math class. I have one period off for planning purposes. I have worked a schedule similar to this year's schedule for 13 years. I used to love middle school, but it is wearing on me. I'm looking for a change. Teaching math all day has not really been a problem since I do have different levels of classes and I don't have to teach the same lesson more than twice a day. I'm personally getting more tired of the kids' tattling, hormones, and girls "back stabbing" each other. I spend too much time trying to help these kids mend their feelings than I do teaching--or at least it feels that way. :) It was a good fit for me up until now, but I desire something else for the future. We'll see what happens. . .