Switching from 2nd grade to 9th grade!

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by Lotte, Sep 3, 2009.

1. Lotte

Lotte Companion

Sep 3, 2009

I'm a bit nervous. I've been offerede a teaching position as a general teacher in 8th and 9th grade. The problem is that I've never taught or been in a middle school classroom since I was in Middle school myself... :unsure: I have taught for 6 years, but only in 1st or 2nd grade..

Any advice would be appreciated.

I'll be teaching English, Science and Physical education in various classes (I have no teacher training in science at all so that worries me the most, but also general classroom managemnet, communication, homework etc. )
    In case you were wondering, I'm taking the position because I can't start teaching untill November and this opening was offered to me, from the date I am able to start. Can't be picky when starting in November :rolleyes:

3. Shanoo

Shanoo Habitué

Sep 3, 2009

This will be my 3rd year teaching Grade 9.

Be prepared for them to try and push you!!!! They are at an age where they like to test boundaries. Be consistant in your expectations. They will notice that one time you aren't and see it as an opportunty to bring everything up for discussion.

4. Lotte

Lotte Companion

Sep 3, 2009

Any usewful methods to put them back in their place or is it the same as with other classes -a general authority will help a long way? One moment unplanned and they will take over? :rolleyes:

I think I am most scared of all the "intrigues", backtalk and comments and a bit unsure as to how to handle that.